    that you try to close.

    Why is this? What can I do to fix this?

    Thanks

    Roky, Apr 18, 2011

  2. Roky

    Paul Guest

    Roky wrote:
    > Well my old pc died (age 4 1/2). I had a guy replace the video card 1
    > 1/2 years ago when i was recovering from surgery and near death and he
    > said he cleaned the pc but when i opened it up the CPU was total
    > covered in dust. I suspect he didnt bother to clean it. My loss.
    > So I had to get a new one yesterday.
    > HP 6774f athlon 4 core,6gb,1Tb7200,
    >
    > Problem now is the task manager says 19% when nothing is running and
    > doesnt change the Cpu use or memory use even if add running programs.
    > It also doesnt show up things that are running and wont close things
    > that you try to close.
    >
    > Why is this? What can I do to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Is this a Vista or Windows 7 system ?

    Would the computer be running indexing ? Is the hard drive LED
    flashing ?

    Is there an included antivirus application ?

    Try this. Leave the computer running overnight all by itself.
    Let the computer do what it wishes. Now, go back to the
    Task Manager and check - has the CPU percentage dropped to zero ?
    Maybe when the computer has finished its "busy work", it'll
    pay attention to you :)

    Some tasks will be set up to run on their own at night. For
    example, Windows 7 might do a limited defragmentation once a week.
    But the chances of that pestering you is pretty low.

    To test the computer itself, you could boot another OS other than
    Windows, and test whether all parameters are normal or not. For
    example, Ubuntu is a 700MB download, and you burn a CD with it.
    UBuntu is not the very best choice, but it is a popular one (so
    other people can help you if you have questions). You can run
    Ubuntu from the CD, without loading anything onto your hard
    drive. There is no need to install the OS, to do some testing.

    *******

    If you want another toy to play with, try one of the Sysinternals
    applications. One of them, functions in a similar way to Task Manager,
    in terms of displaying system programs.

    "Process Explorer"
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

    While that is running, you can always make the window as large as possible,
    take a screen snapshot, then paste the screen snapshot into a picture editor,
    save the picture as a file, then post the picture to imageshack.us with
    a web browser. In that way, you can communicate to us what your system
    is doing.

    When you post the image, make sure during the upload, you de-select rescaling.
    Otherwise, the picture will look fuzzy like this one.

    http://images.ask-leo.com/processexplorerwindow.png

    *******

    A lot of computers possess a function key you can press at startup.
    Using it, and waiting an hour or so, can put the computer back in
    "factory state". This may be covered in the user manual. That's in
    case you're impatient and want to "try again".

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 18, 2011

  3. Roky

    Paul Guest

    Paul, Apr 18, 2011
  4. Roky

    kelly Guest

    On Apr 18, 8:29 pm, Roky <> wrote:
    > Well my old pc died (age 4 1/2). I had a guy replace the video card 1
    > 1/2 years ago when i was recovering from surgery and near death and he
    > said he cleaned the pc but when i opened it up the CPU was total
    > covered in dust. I suspect he didnt bother to clean it. My loss.
    > So I had to get a new one yesterday.
    > HP 6774f athlon 4 core,6gb,1Tb7200,
    >
    > Problem now is the task manager says 19% when nothing is running and
    > doesnt change the Cpu use or memory use even if add running programs.
    > It also doesnt show up things that are running and wont close things
    > that  you try to close.
    >
    > Why is this? What can I do to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks

    "cleaning" re:pC can mean he cleaned the hard dive of unnecessary
    files etc. NOT cleaning with a rag, vacuum etc. :)

    kelly, Apr 23, 2011