    Julie
    (in frustration.....having had similar, but lesser probs when getting this
    PC with XP!!)
    Julie Meikle, Sep 10, 2005

  2. Julie Meikle

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Hi Julie,

    "Julie Meikle" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > I MAY get my printer working (albeit without the extras), should get the
    > scanner working (as it a brand new model),

    You may still have a problem with that as TWAIN is not very well supported
    for x64 by vendors at the moment...

    > but despite having just bought a ADSL router it looks like this will not
    > play.

    You should be fine with this as the router is a totally self contained
    device that is external to the PC and usually via standard ethernet
    connection; management is usually via a web interface. Why do you think it
    "will not play"? What type of ADSL router is it?

    > So opinions welcomed please. Should I ring the company & ask for Win XP
    > Home, Pro or Pro 64? It is a high end system with dual core 4800+
    > processors.

    Well, it's going to depend entirely on what you will use the machine for and
    what sort of software and peripherals you want it to support. Lots of
    reading in here should go a long way towards helping...

    Colin
    Colin Nowell, Sep 10, 2005

  3. Julie Meikle

    Gatos Loco Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:19:27 +0100, "Julie Meikle"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a new PC on order ....with XP Pro 64. I am now worried as several
    >peripherals do not show drivers for this!!
    >I MAY get my printer working (albeit without the extras), should get the
    >scanner working (as it a brand new model), but despite having just bought a
    >ADSL router it looks like this will not play.
    >
    >So opinions welcomed please. Should I ring the company & ask for Win XP
    >Home, Pro or Pro 64?
    >It is a high end system with dual core 4800+ processors.
    >
    >Many thanks
    >Julie
    >(in frustration.....having had similar, but lesser probs when getting this
    >PC with XP!!)

    Knowing what your peripherals are would help. I have found that Canon
    has been absolutely lousy at supporting XP64. New printer and scanner
    not supported. !@%&!!! Luckily I have other 32 bit systems that I have
    left them connected to.

    I do my DCC work on my 64 bit system and send files to print on my 32
    bit, and vice a versa for my scanning. Strictly digital it is all
    fine. In fact I find working in 64bit to be preferable, even with 32
    bit programs.. It at least seams faster and smooth.

    As stated in the previous post, your router should be no problem. I've
    used a D-link and a netgear on my system without a hassle. Although, I
    don't recommend D-link routers. I now am using a linksys usb g54
    (something) wireless connection thing, which I found drivers for on
    planetamd64.com.

    Check that site out for driver questions, as a lot of stuff that is
    available in the printer/scanner driver area can be found there.

    Good Luck
    gato loco
    Gatos Loco, Sep 10, 2005
  4. Julie Meikle

    Julie Meikle Guest

    >> but despite having just bought a ADSL router it looks like this will not
    >> play.

    > You should be fine with this as the router is a totally self contained
    > device that is external to the PC and usually via standard ethernet
    > connection; management is usually via a web interface. Why do you think it
    > "will not play"? What type of ADSL router is it?

    No drivers....and lots of messages on other newsgroups saying none available
    so I thought it would not work.

    >> So opinions welcomed please. Should I ring the company & ask for Win XP
    >> Home, Pro or Pro 64? It is a high end system with dual core 4800+
    >> processors.

    > Well, it's going to depend entirely on what you will use the machine for
    > and what sort of software and peripherals you want it to support. Lots of
    > reading in here should go a long way towards helping...

    Hmm I'm leaning towards changing ... I want it for office applications,
    photo manipulation and other art applications, mapping and GPS and general
    internet.

    Thanks
    Julie
    Julie Meikle, Sep 10, 2005
  5. Julie Meikle

    Gatos Loco Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:40:07 +0100, "Julie Meikle"
    <> wrote:

    >>> but despite having just bought a ADSL router it looks like this will not
    >>> play.

    >> You should be fine with this as the router is a totally self contained
    >> device that is external to the PC and usually via standard ethernet
    >> connection; management is usually via a web interface. Why do you think it
    >> "will not play"? What type of ADSL router is it?

    >No drivers....and lots of messages on other newsgroups saying none available
    >so I thought it would not work.
    >>
    >>> So opinions welcomed please. Should I ring the company & ask for Win XP
    >>> Home, Pro or Pro 64? It is a high end system with dual core 4800+
    >>> processors.

    >> Well, it's going to depend entirely on what you will use the machine for
    >> and what sort of software and peripherals you want it to support. Lots of
    >> reading in here should go a long way towards helping...
    >>

    >Hmm I'm leaning towards changing ... I want it for office applications,
    >photo manipulation and other art applications, mapping and GPS and general
    >internet.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Julie

    For mapping and GPS I think a 64 bit system would be much better. Even
    photo manipulation is better IMO on my 64 bit system.

    High end printers may have better driver support too.

    I have run 64 bit for over a year, with Beta versions and such, and
    really have had very few problems. Even my Wacom Tablet has drivers.

    The only thing that won't run are older 16 bit programs, and
    unfortunately some 16 bit installers for 32bit programs. I would think
    that for your needs, 64 bit would mostly be no problem.

    Canon has unfortunately been very poor about supporting My Printer and
    scanner, although it looks like they are starting to support some of
    their newer release stuff now.

    my 2 cents
    gato loco
    Gatos Loco, Sep 10, 2005
  6. The problem with going to a 64 bit architecture is that you cannot put enough
    memory in the system for the 64-bit to perform at it's best.
    That is, the whole point of 64bit vs 32bit is that there is a 4GB limit with
    the 32 bit architecture. To "really" utilize a 64 bit product line you would
    require... oh say 32GB of RAM. However, at this time, very few people will
    buy an x64 motherboard supporting that much memory.

    While the manufacturers continue to produce junk systems with 4GB limits,
    there will be no extreme benefit to switching to x64.

    That being said, you will notice some improvement with XP64... Compared a
    x64 system w/ 4GB of ram vs a x86 system with 4GB of ram (all other
    components being the same except XP64 and XP32). The little bit of
    improvement would not blow your mind.

    However, to directly answer your question.. get XP64... who knows when XP is
    "retired" and no longer supported (I think sometime near October '06). At
    least with the 64 bit version you have about 4 years.

    -Nick

    =?Utf-8?B?Tmljaw==?=, Sep 10, 2005
  7. Julie Meikle

    John Barnes Guest

    Support? It started out OEM - no support and when Vista comes out this will
    be WindowsME (anyone heard of support for that?) This group and yourself are
    your support.

    John Barnes, Sep 10, 2005
  8. And very few people can afford the 32GB of RAM itself, LOL !

    Jean-Baptiste Faure [NNBXX], Sep 10, 2005
  9. Julie Meikle

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Nick;

    Don't know where you are getting your information, but for the Athlon64,
    Turion64 and EM64T, you do not need 32GB of Ram to get the best performance.
    Either will run on 1GB, Run quite happily at 2GB, and get less dramatic
    performance increases above 2GB.

    You do not even consider that most applications are not written to use more
    than 3GB of memory space, so unless you are running a server with software
    designed for large amount so RAM, the point you make is wrong.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Sep 11, 2005
  10. Julie Meikle

    Julie Meikle Guest

    Had a trawl through my software and hardware and so much is incompatible I
    will stick with XP Pro....I can update to 64 later when there is more
    support and drivers. Not useful for me to have an expensive PC that cannot
    run my scanner etc!
    Thanks
    Julie
    Julie Meikle, Sep 11, 2005
  11. Julie Meikle

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    > Had a trawl through my software and hardware and so much is incompatible I
    > will stick with XP Pro....I can update to 64 later when there is more
    > support and drivers. Not useful for me to have an expensive PC that cannot
    > run my scanner etc!
    > Thanks
    > Julie

    Why not dual boot...have Windows XP on one disk or partition and Windows XP
    Professional x64 Edition on the other? That is what most of us are doing...

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, Sep 11, 2005
  12. NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > Why not dual boot...have Windows XP on one disk or partition and Windows XP
    > Professional x64 Edition on the other? That is what most of us are doing...

    Because it is not obvious why you should pay another 150 bugs for a
    setup that is a royal pain in the a**. I have one computer with dual
    boot, and it is exactly that. You have twice the administrative work,
    but when you need a certain program, there is a good chance that it only
    works with the other OS. So you have to close all your documents, finish
    reading all the web pages etc only to find that after the reboot you
    lack another crucial application :)

    In my oppinion, there are far easier ways to kill your workflow than
    dual boot.

    Thomas
    Thomas Steffen, Sep 11, 2005
  13. Having set up numerous 98/XP dual booting machines, I'd say a little
    planning lessens the hassle. Yeah it's a pain setting up email, fonts,
    peripherals and apps twice, but after a coupla days of pain you're done with
    it and you know you'll be able to be productive one way or another. As a
    work in progress, XP64 just isn't ready to go it alone for a large number of
    users (myself included). For the casual, uninformed user, dual booting is
    far too much hassle. For the forward thinking users of this forum, it makes
    a lot of sense....;-)

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 11, 2005
  14. Julie Meikle

    VWWall Guest

    Thomas Steffen wrote:
    > NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    >
    >> Why not dual boot...have Windows XP on one disk or partition and
    >> Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on the other? That is what most
    >> of us are doing...

    > Because it is not obvious why you should pay another 150 bugs (sic) for a
    > setup that is a royal pain in the a**. I have one computer with dual
    > boot, and it is exactly that. You have twice the administrative work,
    > but when you need a certain program, there is a good chance that it only
    > works with the other OS. So you have to close all your documents, finish
    > reading all the web pages etc only to find that after the reboot you
    > lack another crucial application :)
    >
    > In my oppinion, there are far easier ways to kill your workflow than
    > dual boot.

    Are you sure you installed dual boot? It seems more like duel boot! :)

    --
    Virg Wall
    VWWall, Sep 11, 2005
  15. Julie Meikle

    milsabords Guest

    "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> a écrit dans le message de news:

    > "Julie Meikle" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Had a trawl through my software and hardware and so much is

    incompatible I
    >> will stick with XP Pro....I can update to 64 later when there is more
    >> support and drivers. Not useful for me to have an expensive PC that

    cannot
    >> run my scanner etc!
    >> Thanks
    >> Julie
    >>

    > Why not dual boot...have Windows XP on one disk or partition and Windows

    XP
    > Professional x64 Edition on the other? That is what most of us are

    doing...

    > Bobby

    What about runing Vmware under XP 64, and an XP 32 VM ?
    Would it work ?
    Any experiences ?

    Fred
    milsabords, Sep 16, 2005