    Is there any other diagnosis I should do? or have I bought a boat anchor
    that should be returned for corrective maintenance?

    Matt
    Dumbkiwi, Oct 21, 2005

  2. Dumbkiwi

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Just bought a new box - unfortunately I've left the technical specs at
    > work, but can't get it to display anything on the monitor (using the
    > onboard video), and hence no bios messages. Also, with the keyboard
    > plugged in, the keyboard lights don't flash when the power is turned on.
    > HOwever, the machine does power up - all fans are running, and if I plug
    > in an ethernet cable to the onboard and pci ethernet inputs, I get lights.

    All it means is there is power, nothing else.

    More than likely there is a problem with the CPU, memory or some
    critical onboard component that means it does not even get to the POST.\

    Ethernet uses separate chips that have probably initialised with power,
    you can get lights even when the rest of the PC is off so it means
    little.

    > I don't know a huge amount about hardware, but if the onboard vidoe is
    > shot, will that prevent the motherboard working properly? Would it
    > prevent the keyboard kicking into life?

    No, to get things like beeps or messages on screen needs some basic
    things like a working CPU.

    If the CPU is unable to start you will not get anything appearing to
    happen at all.

    > Is there any other diagnosis I should do? or have I bought a boat anchor
    > that should be returned for corrective maintenance?

    Send it back.
    Rob J, Oct 21, 2005

  3. Dumbkiwi

    andrew Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Just bought a new box - unfortunately I've left the technical specs at
    >>work, but can't get it to display anything on the monitor (using the
    >>onboard video), and hence no bios messages. Also, with the keyboard
    >>plugged in, the keyboard lights don't flash when the power is turned on.
    >>HOwever, the machine does power up - all fans are running, and if I plug
    >>in an ethernet cable to the onboard and pci ethernet inputs, I get lights.

    > All it means is there is power, nothing else.
    >
    > More than likely there is a problem with the CPU, memory or some
    > critical onboard component that means it does not even get to the POST.\
    >
    > Ethernet uses separate chips that have probably initialised with power,
    > you can get lights even when the rest of the PC is off so it means
    > little.
    >

    >>I don't know a huge amount about hardware, but if the onboard vidoe is
    >>shot, will that prevent the motherboard working properly? Would it
    >>prevent the keyboard kicking into life?

    > No, to get things like beeps or messages on screen needs some basic
    > things like a working CPU.
    >
    > If the CPU is unable to start you will not get anything appearing to
    > happen at all.
    >

    >>Is there any other diagnosis I should do? or have I bought a boat anchor
    >>that should be returned for corrective maintenance?

    > Send it back.

    I agree, it's probably hosed. Sometimes the motherboard will tell you
    what is wrong by lighting up certain LEDs. It can do this even before
    the BIOS POST starts - if you have the manual for the motherboard you
    may find the problem, but its probably best just to send it back to
    where you got it and let them sort it out.

    Andrew
    andrew, Oct 21, 2005