    Looks like I will have to wait until Monday to find out, when the
    supplier opens again.

    Gordy
    Gordy, Sep 9, 2005

  2. Gordy

    Richard Guest

    Gordy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just bought a kit of bits from a well known NZ supplier to put a high
    > performance PC together over the weekend.
    >
    > (Mid tower case ($269), MB, CPU, Ram, power supply, video card, HDD,
    > DVD drive, etc)
    >
    > Opened up the case to mount the power supply and motherboard and...
    >
    > No MB mounting pillars and screws or screws to mount the power supply.
    >
    > Do these items normally come with a case or do you have to buy extra
    > parts to put a PC together?
    >
    > Looks like I will have to wait until Monday to find out, when the
    > supplier opens again.

    Yes, there is usually a box with that sort of stuff in it, along with blanking
    plates for the PCI slots and a cble tie or 3 and a few other goodies.
    Richard, Sep 9, 2005

  3. Gordy wrote:
    > Opened up the case to mount the power supply and motherboard and...
    >
    > No MB mounting pillars and screws or screws to mount the power supply.

    These came with my motherboard and my case.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 9, 2005
  4. Gordy

    Mercury Guest

    its very possible that the box was left out prior to packaging.

    if you get desparate and want to get started this weekend (who wouldn't) ,
    many weekend vendors will give you a handful of the appropriate screws and
    stand offs for nought or very little. assemblers always have truck loads...

    dse etc will charge highly (IE retail & enough to annoy you) for the equiv
    bag of tricks..

    where are you? if you are in chch I could do that for you...

    Mercury, Sep 9, 2005
  5. "Gordy" <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just bought a kit of bits from a well known NZ supplier to put a high
    > performance PC together over the weekend.
    >
    > (Mid tower case ($269), MB, CPU, Ram, power supply, video card, HDD,
    > DVD drive, etc)
    >
    > Opened up the case to mount the power supply and motherboard and...
    >
    > No MB mounting pillars and screws or screws to mount the power supply.
    >
    > Do these items normally come with a case or do you have to buy extra
    > parts to put a PC together?
    >
    > Looks like I will have to wait until Monday to find out, when the
    > supplier opens again.
    >
    > Gordy

    i bought a harddrive from some outfit in wellington - they did not supply
    case screws with it though so i had to go scrounging from some pc shop for 4
    screws - they laughed their faces off and just gave them to me for free as
    they don't sell them.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Sep 9, 2005
  6. Gordy

    MarkH Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in

    > i bought a harddrive from some outfit in wellington - they did not
    > supply case screws with it though so i had to go scrounging from some
    > pc shop for 4 screws - they laughed their faces off and just gave them
    > to me for free as they don't sell them.

    You don't do much work on PCs then. Most of us that play around with
    hardware have plenty of spare screws. Just scrap your first old PC and
    voila!

    If the drive is in a retail box then you get the mounting screws and cable,
    if it is the OEM version then it is just the drive in an anti-static bag.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Sep 9, 2005
  7. Gordy

    MarkH Guest

    Richard <> wrote in news::

    > Gordy wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Just bought a kit of bits from a well known NZ supplier to put a high
    >> performance PC together over the weekend.
    >>
    >> (Mid tower case ($269), MB, CPU, Ram, power supply, video card, HDD,
    >> DVD drive, etc)
    >>
    >> Opened up the case to mount the power supply and motherboard and...
    >>
    >> No MB mounting pillars and screws or screws to mount the power
    >> supply.
    >>
    >> Do these items normally come with a case or do you have to buy extra
    >> parts to put a PC together?
    >>
    >> Looks like I will have to wait until Monday to find out, when the
    >> supplier opens again.

    > Yes, there is usually a box with that sort of stuff in it, along with
    > blanking plates for the PCI slots and a cble tie or 3 and a few other
    > goodies.

    That is also my experience. Always a box or a bag full of screws, mounting
    posts, cable ties, sometimes side rails for attaching to 5.25 drive
    devices, etc.

    I have bought cheap cases and expensive cases and assembled PCs in cases
    that others have bought - there are always screws and stuff with the case.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Sep 9, 2005
  8. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 20:47:07 +1200, "Mercury" <> wrote:

    >its very possible that the box was left out prior to packaging.
    >
    >if you get desparate and want to get started this weekend (who wouldn't) ,
    >many weekend vendors will give you a handful of the appropriate screws and
    >stand offs for nought or very little. assemblers always have truck loads...
    >
    >dse etc will charge highly (IE retail & enough to annoy you) for the equiv
    >bag of tricks..
    >
    >where are you? if you are in chch I could do that for you...

    Thanks for the offer. I am not in your area.
    The MB tray actually has square holes where some special plastic
    standoffs (my guess) have to be clipped in place.

    I have plenty of time to read the manuals first before I do the
    assembly...

    Cheers
    Gordy
    Gordy, Sep 9, 2005
  9. Gordy

    Tim Guest

    > I have plenty of time to read the manuals first before I do the
    > assembly...

    RTFM! Man thats unheard of. What are you trying to do? Look like a NOOB?
    Sheesh. No one reads manuals on principle - they "know" what to do and if
    they break something they sheepishly go off to another vendor and secretely
    buy a new mobo / CPU / whatever and then brag to their friends that the
    system went together 100% and worked first time *or* the motherboard was
    stuffed - DOA & had to do a heroic battle with the Vendor, CGA, Woger, and
    the small claims court...

    Ya can't do that!

    BOL :)
    Tim, Sep 10, 2005
  10. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    Yeah right! Reaches for another Tui.... waiting for Monday to
    arrive..

    :)

    Gordy

    Gordy, Sep 10, 2005
  11. Gordy

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:44:28 +1200, Gordy <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 20:47:07 +1200, "Mercury" <> wrote:
    >
    >>its very possible that the box was left out prior to packaging.
    >>
    >>if you get desparate and want to get started this weekend (who wouldn't) ,
    >>many weekend vendors will give you a handful of the appropriate screws and
    >>stand offs for nought or very little. assemblers always have truck loads...
    >>
    >>dse etc will charge highly (IE retail & enough to annoy you) for the equiv
    >>bag of tricks..
    >>
    >>where are you? if you are in chch I could do that for you...
    >>

    >Thanks for the offer. I am not in your area.
    >The MB tray actually has square holes where some special plastic
    >standoffs (my guess) have to be clipped in place.

    Springy metal ones I would guess.

    >I have plenty of time to read the manuals first before I do the
    >assembly...

    Last time I had this problem I found the box jammed in the floppy
    drive bay.
    I assume you have looked there :)
    Bret, Sep 10, 2005
  12. Gordy

    Andrew Guest

    Gordy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just bought a kit of bits from a well known NZ supplier to put a high
    > performance PC together over the weekend.
    >
    > (Mid tower case ($269), MB, CPU, Ram, power supply, video card, HDD,
    > DVD drive, etc)
    >
    > Opened up the case to mount the power supply and motherboard and...
    >
    > No MB mounting pillars and screws or screws to mount the power supply.
    >
    > Do these items normally come with a case or do you have to buy extra
    > parts to put a PC together?
    >
    > Looks like I will have to wait until Monday to find out, when the
    > supplier opens again.
    >
    > Gordy

    every case ive had through my old shop came with screws.. There was one
    though which we thought was never supplied, Turned out that when i took
    the other side cover off the packet had wedged its self between the side
    cover and the power supply
    Andrew, Sep 10, 2005
  13. Gordy

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:28:18 +1200, Gordy wrote:

    > Do these items normally come with a case or do you have to buy extra
    > parts to put a PC together?

    Normally are supplied with the hardware.

    Bling Bling

    --
    Windows is a bonfire, Linux is the sun. Linux only looks smaller if you lack
    perspective.
    Bling-Bling, Sep 10, 2005
  14. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:07:09 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >Last time I had this problem I found the box jammed in the floppy
    >drive bay.
    >I assume you have looked there :)

    Yep... Pulled the case apart looking for hiding places.

    ..
    Gordy, Sep 10, 2005
  15. Gordy

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:07:09 +1200, Bret wrote:

    >>Thanks for the offer. I am not in your area.
    >>The MB tray actually has square holes where some special plastic
    >>standoffs (my guess) have to be clipped in place.

    MB tray, as in the case?

    > Springy metal ones I would guess.

    Uh? All new systems I have seen of late have had solid brass upstands the
    MB rests on. Well is screwed to.
    Gordon, Sep 11, 2005
  16. Gordy

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:35:17 +1200, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:07:09 +1200, Bret wrote:
    >
    >>>Thanks for the offer. I am not in your area.
    >>>The MB tray actually has square holes where some special plastic
    >>>standoffs (my guess) have to be clipped in place.

    >MB tray, as in the case?
    >>
    >> Springy metal ones I would guess.

    >Uh? All new systems I have seen of late have had solid brass upstands the
    >MB rests on. Well is screwed to.

    How do they fit in the square holes the OP mentioned?
    Bret, Sep 11, 2005
  17. Gordy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bret wrote:

    >> MB tray, as in the case?
    >>>
    >>> Springy metal ones I would guess.

    >> Uh? All new systems I have seen of late have had solid brass
    >> upstands the MB rests on. Well is screwed to.

    > How do they fit in the square holes the OP mentioned?

    The only cases I've seen with square holes have steel stand-offs that are
    sort of like clips, you push them through from the back. To remove them you
    squeeze them together and push them out. Probably like the ones Bret
    described as "springy metal ones". I have a PC here that uses them. Want me
    to strip one out and take a pic? It'll mean removing the mobo unless I can
    just take the screw out of one and get a grip with some needle-nose pliers
    from the back and squeeze it that way.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 11, 2005
  18. Gordy wrote:
    > Do these items normally come with a case or do you have to buy extra
    > parts to put a PC together?

    normally come with the case in a little box, usually taped to the
    (inside)bottom of the case.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 11, 2005