New PC HD setup?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Sutton, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Have ordered my new PC.

    I'm getting 2x500 gig hd's and I was wondering about the best way to set
    them up.

    I have my existing hd split into 5, 8gig partitions,
    C for programs/apps
    D for games
    E for p2p
    F for website
    G for general leftover storage/mp3 etc

    My dealer is suggesting I use raid 0 and 2 partitions, C: for progs/apps and
    D: for everything else?

    Considering the capacity, I think with just 2 partitions things could get
    rather out of order.

    Any suggestions? such as other raid setups?

    Craig Sutton, Apr 10, 2006

  2. Craig Sutton

    krazy Bob Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    > Have ordered my new PC.
    >
    > I'm getting 2x500 gig hd's and I was wondering about the best way to set
    > them up.
    >
    > I have my existing hd split into 5, 8gig partitions,
    > C for programs/apps
    > D for games
    > E for p2p
    > F for website
    > G for general leftover storage/mp3 etc
    >
    > My dealer is suggesting I use raid 0 and 2 partitions, C: for progs/apps
    > and
    > D: for everything else?

    Don't you mean raid 0+1 ? because then having it on 0 means everything from
    one partion gets copied over to the other one. correct me if im wrong

    KB

    krazy Bob, Apr 10, 2006

  3. "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    > Have ordered my new PC.
    >
    > I'm getting 2x500 gig hd's and I was wondering about the best way to set
    > them up.
    >
    > I have my existing hd split into 5, 8gig partitions,
    > C for programs/apps
    > D for games
    > E for p2p
    > F for website
    > G for general leftover storage/mp3 etc
    >
    > My dealer is suggesting I use raid 0 and 2 partitions, C: for progs/apps
    > and
    > D: for everything else?
    >
    > Considering the capacity, I think with just 2 partitions things could get
    > rather out of order.
    >
    > Any suggestions? such as other raid setups?

    Set up as many partitions as you like. i guess this is a personal preference
    right?

    My opinion would be to setup 2 partitions. I mean, you can always have a
    folder for each of the categories you mention.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 10, 2006
  4. Craig Sutton

    MarkH Guest

    "krazy Bob" <> wrote in

    > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    >> Have ordered my new PC.
    >>
    >> I'm getting 2x500 gig hd's and I was wondering about the best way to
    >> set them up.
    >>
    >> My dealer is suggesting I use raid 0 and 2 partitions, C: for
    >> progs/apps and
    >> D: for everything else?

    > Don't you mean raid 0+1 ? because then having it on 0 means everything
    > from one partion gets copied over to the other one. correct me if im
    > wrong

    RAID 0+1 would involve 4 HDDs.

    RAID 0 is where the data spans across both HDDs giving one partition of
    1000GB, this gives more speed. Note: in computing terms 0 is used for
    "null" or "not" so RAID 0 is NOT RAID. If either HDD fails then all data
    on both drives could be unrecoverable - not a problem, make sure you backup
    anything that matters.

    RAID 1 is called mirroring. That is where all data is written to both
    drives and in the unlikely event of one drive failing you can carry on with
    all data intact. You still need to backup all data though, drive failure
    is only one of many causes of data loss.

    RAID 0+1 would be where you Create a RAID 0 array and mirror the data to
    another RAID 0 array. Four 500GB HDDs would give 1000GB of storage, with
    all data duplicated.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Apr 10, 2006
  5. Craig Sutton

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <e1cqmt$odd$>,
    says...
    > Have ordered my new PC.
    >
    > I'm getting 2x500 gig hd's and I was wondering about the best way to set
    > them up.
    >
    > I have my existing hd split into 5, 8gig partitions,
    > C for programs/apps
    > D for games
    > E for p2p
    > F for website
    > G for general leftover storage/mp3 etc
    >
    > My dealer is suggesting I use raid 0 and 2 partitions, C: for progs/apps and
    > D: for everything else?
    >
    > Considering the capacity, I think with just 2 partitions things could get
    > rather out of order.
    >
    > Any suggestions? such as other raid setups?

    Well RAID1 is the obvious. Safe. RAID0 sounds a bit insane (hope
    you'll run good backups) - but it will be very very fast. If that's all
    you want, then yep, I think it's the right suggestion.

    I think you have several partitioning options - it's really up to you.
    Personally, I'd run no extra partitions (you've got other drives for
    that, right ???).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Apr 10, 2006
  6. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message

    > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    > > Have ordered my new PC.
    > >
    > > I'm getting 2x500 gig hd's and I was wondering about the best way to set
    > > them up.
    > >
    > > I have my existing hd split into 5, 8gig partitions,
    > > C for programs/apps
    > > D for games
    > > E for p2p
    > > F for website
    > > G for general leftover storage/mp3 etc
    > >
    > > My dealer is suggesting I use raid 0 and 2 partitions, C: for progs/apps
    > > and
    > > D: for everything else?
    > >
    > > Considering the capacity, I think with just 2 partitions things could

    get
    > > rather out of order.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? such as other raid setups?
    > >

    > Set up as many partitions as you like. i guess this is a personal

    preference
    > right?
    >
    > My opinion would be to setup 2 partitions. I mean, you can always have a
    > folder for each of the categories you mention.

    Yes but with 1 terabyte of space....having a lot of folders might not be so
    good. Perhap's 3 partitions. With E: being for video work on its own.

    Craig Sutton, Apr 10, 2006
  7. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <e1cqmt$odd$>,
    > says...
    > > Have ordered my new PC.
    > >
    > > I'm getting 2x500 gig hd's and I was wondering about the best way to set
    > > them up.
    > >
    > > I have my existing hd split into 5, 8gig partitions,
    > > C for programs/apps
    > > D for games
    > > E for p2p
    > > F for website
    > > G for general leftover storage/mp3 etc
    > >
    > > My dealer is suggesting I use raid 0 and 2 partitions, C: for progs/apps

    and
    > > D: for everything else?
    > >
    > > Considering the capacity, I think with just 2 partitions things could

    get
    > > rather out of order.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? such as other raid setups?

    > Well RAID1 is the obvious. Safe. RAID0 sounds a bit insane (hope
    > you'll run good backups) - but it will be very very fast. If that's all
    > you want, then yep, I think it's the right suggestion.

    What about the other raid options? isn't there an option with part of the
    disk striped and part mirrored? 0+1?

    > I think you have several partitioning options - it's really up to you.
    > Personally, I'd run no extra partitions (you've got other drives for
    > that, right ???).

    No just the twin 500, but ethernet to another pc or the SATA port at the
    back. Hmm

    Craig Sutton, Apr 10, 2006
  8. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    > "krazy Bob" <> wrote in
    >

    > > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    > >> Have ordered my new PC.
    > >>
    > >> I'm getting 2x500 gig hd's and I was wondering about the best way to
    > >> set them up.
    > >>
    > >> My dealer is suggesting I use raid 0 and 2 partitions, C: for
    > >> progs/apps and
    > >> D: for everything else?

    > > Don't you mean raid 0+1 ? because then having it on 0 means everything
    > > from one partion gets copied over to the other one. correct me if im
    > > wrong

    > RAID 0+1 would involve 4 HDDs.
    >
    > RAID 0 is where the data spans across both HDDs giving one partition of
    > 1000GB, this gives more speed. Note: in computing terms 0 is used for
    > "null" or "not" so RAID 0 is NOT RAID. If either HDD fails then all data
    > on both drives could be unrecoverable - not a problem, make sure you

    backup
    > anything that matters.
    >
    > RAID 1 is called mirroring. That is where all data is written to both
    > drives and in the unlikely event of one drive failing you can carry on

    with
    > all data intact. You still need to backup all data though, drive failure
    > is only one of many causes of data loss.
    >
    > RAID 0+1 would be where you Create a RAID 0 array and mirror the data to
    > another RAID 0 array. Four 500GB HDDs would give 1000GB of storage, with
    > all data duplicated.

    Hmm more confused now what are these options?

    The nForce4 chipset incorporated four Serial ATA connectors with high
    performance RAID functions in RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 and JBOD. The Silicon Image
    controller provides another two Serial ATA connectors for RAID 0 and 1
    functions.

    Craig Sutton, Apr 10, 2006
  9. "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message

    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    >> > Have ordered my new PC.
    >> >
    >> > I'm getting 2x500 gig hd's and I was wondering about the best way to
    >> > set
    >> > them up.
    >> >
    >> > I have my existing hd split into 5, 8gig partitions,
    >> > C for programs/apps
    >> > D for games
    >> > E for p2p
    >> > F for website
    >> > G for general leftover storage/mp3 etc
    >> >
    >> > My dealer is suggesting I use raid 0 and 2 partitions, C: for
    >> > progs/apps
    >> > and
    >> > D: for everything else?
    >> >
    >> > Considering the capacity, I think with just 2 partitions things could

    > get
    >> > rather out of order.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions? such as other raid setups?
    >> >

    >> Set up as many partitions as you like. i guess this is a personal

    > preference
    >> right?
    >>
    >> My opinion would be to setup 2 partitions. I mean, you can always have a
    >> folder for each of the categories you mention.
    >>

    > Yes but with 1 terabyte of space....having a lot of folders might not be
    > so
    > good. Perhap's 3 partitions. With E: being for video work on its own.

    Yes I suppose. It is a lot of space.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 10, 2006
  10. Craig Sutton

    MarkH Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in

    > "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> RAID 0 is where the data spans across both HDDs giving one partition
    >> of 1000GB, this gives more speed. Note: in computing terms 0 is used
    >> for "null" or "not" so RAID 0 is NOT RAID. If either HDD fails then
    >> all data on both drives could be unrecoverable - not a problem, make
    >> sure you

    > backup
    >> anything that matters.
    >>
    >> RAID 1 is called mirroring. That is where all data is written to
    >> both drives and in the unlikely event of one drive failing you can
    >> carry on

    > with
    >> all data intact. You still need to backup all data though, drive
    >> failure is only one of many causes of data loss.
    >>
    >> RAID 0+1 would be where you Create a RAID 0 array and mirror the data
    >> to another RAID 0 array. Four 500GB HDDs would give 1000GB of
    >> storage, with all data duplicated.

    > Hmm more confused now what are these options?
    >
    > The nForce4 chipset incorporated four Serial ATA connectors with high
    > performance RAID functions in RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 and JBOD. The Silicon
    > Image controller provides another two Serial ATA connectors for RAID 0
    > and 1 functions.

    RAID 5 requires 3 or more HDDs. The data is striped across the HDDs and
    parity data is put on one of the drives. If you have 3 x 500GB HDDs you
    would get a total of 1000GB storage. If you have 4 x 500GB then RAID 5
    would give you 1500GB storage.

    JBOD is where the disks are just configured as individual disks.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Apr 10, 2006
  11. Craig Sutton

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <e1cqmt$odd$>,
    > says...
    >> Have ordered my new PC.
    >>
    >> I'm getting 2x500 gig hd's and I was wondering about the best way to set
    >> them up.
    >>
    >> I have my existing hd split into 5, 8gig partitions,
    >> C for programs/apps
    >> D for games
    >> E for p2p
    >> F for website
    >> G for general leftover storage/mp3 etc
    >>
    >> My dealer is suggesting I use raid 0 and 2 partitions, C: for progs/apps and
    >> D: for everything else?
    >>
    >> Considering the capacity, I think with just 2 partitions things could get
    >> rather out of order.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? such as other raid setups?

    > Well RAID1 is the obvious. Safe. RAID0 sounds a bit insane (hope
    > you'll run good backups) - but it will be very very fast. If that's all
    > you want, then yep, I think it's the right suggestion.

    I was under the impression that stripe size for RAID0 is important, and
    that you would also only see a real speed gain for large files. Frankly,
    hardware has improved so much that for a normal desktop I really can't
    see the point, and the risk of losing data is quite high.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 10, 2006
  12. Craig Sutton

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:33:02 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <e1cqmt$odd$>,
    >> says...
    >> > Have ordered my new PC.
    >> >
    >> > I'm getting 2x500 gig hd's and I was wondering about the best way to
    >> > set them up.
    >> >
    >> > I have my existing hd split into 5, 8gig partitions, C for
    >> > programs/apps
    >> > D for games
    >> > E for p2p
    >> > F for website
    >> > G for general leftover storage/mp3 etc
    >> >
    >> > My dealer is suggesting I use raid 0 and 2 partitions, C: for
    >> > progs/apps

    > and
    >> > D: for everything else?
    >> >
    >> > Considering the capacity, I think with just 2 partitions things could

    > get
    >> > rather out of order.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions? such as other raid setups?

    >> Well RAID1 is the obvious. Safe. RAID0 sounds a bit insane (hope
    >> you'll run good backups) - but it will be very very fast. If that's all
    >> you want, then yep, I think it's the right suggestion.
    >>

    > What about the other raid options? isn't there an option with part of the
    > disk striped and part mirrored? 0+1?
    >
    >> I think you have several partitioning options - it's really up to you.
    >> Personally, I'd run no extra partitions (you've got other drives for
    >> that, right ???).

    > No just the twin 500, but ethernet to another pc or the SATA port at the
    > back. Hmm

    I'd run raid 5 over 3x300GB, and save plemty of money - just got to choose
    your motherboard. I'm getting over 50GB/s continuous off raid5 over 4.
    Which is acceptable.

    Steve

    Steve, Apr 10, 2006
  13. Craig Sutton

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Have ordered my new PC.
    >
    > I'm getting 2x500 gig hd's and I was wondering about the best way to set
    > them up.
    >
    > I have my existing hd split into 5, 8gig partitions,
    > C for programs/apps
    > D for games
    > E for p2p
    > F for website
    > G for general leftover storage/mp3 etc
    >
    > My dealer is suggesting I use raid 0 and 2 partitions, C: for progs/apps and
    > D: for everything else?
    >
    > Considering the capacity, I think with just 2 partitions things could get
    > rather out of order.
    >
    > Any suggestions? such as other raid setups?

    Yep, pull out one of the 500GB drives and put it in a fileserver; use
    that for what was previously on E, F, and G partitions.

    That way, when your desktop goes titsup you won't lose all your data :)

    -=rjh=-, Apr 10, 2006
  14. Craig Sutton

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:44:00 +0000, MarkH wrote:

    [snip]
    > RAID 5 requires 3 or more HDDs. The data is striped across the HDDs and
    > parity data is put on one of the drives. If you have 3 x 500GB HDDs you
    > would get a total of 1000GB storage. If you have 4 x 500GB then RAID 5
    > would give you 1500GB storage.
    >
    > JBOD is where the disks are just configured as individual disks.

    For those of you thinking of doing this on linux, then this 'joke'
    hardware mirroring ( no it isn't, it just pretends to be ) will get in the
    way and stop the system booting. Set your disks up as JBOD, and use the
    software mirroring in the os to perform this function.

    Or spend many times the cost of your motherboard buying a real SATA raid
    controller.

    There speaks the voice of experience!

    Steve

    Steve, Apr 10, 2006
  15. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in
    >

    > > "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> RAID 0 is where the data spans across both HDDs giving one partition
    > >> of 1000GB, this gives more speed. Note: in computing terms 0 is used
    > >> for "null" or "not" so RAID 0 is NOT RAID. If either HDD fails then
    > >> all data on both drives could be unrecoverable - not a problem, make
    > >> sure you

    > > backup
    > >> anything that matters.
    > >>
    > >> RAID 1 is called mirroring. That is where all data is written to
    > >> both drives and in the unlikely event of one drive failing you can
    > >> carry on

    > > with
    > >> all data intact. You still need to backup all data though, drive
    > >> failure is only one of many causes of data loss.
    > >>
    > >> RAID 0+1 would be where you Create a RAID 0 array and mirror the data
    > >> to another RAID 0 array. Four 500GB HDDs would give 1000GB of
    > >> storage, with all data duplicated.

    > > Hmm more confused now what are these options?
    > >
    > > The nForce4 chipset incorporated four Serial ATA connectors with high
    > > performance RAID functions in RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 and JBOD. The Silicon
    > > Image controller provides another two Serial ATA connectors for RAID 0
    > > and 1 functions.

    > RAID 5 requires 3 or more HDDs. The data is striped across the HDDs and
    > parity data is put on one of the drives. If you have 3 x 500GB HDDs you
    > would get a total of 1000GB storage. If you have 4 x 500GB then RAID 5
    > would give you 1500GB storage.

    and a huge hole in my back account.....

    Craig Sutton, Apr 10, 2006
  16. Craig Sutton

    Jerry Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in
    >

    >>"MarkH" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>RAID 0 is where the data spans across both HDDs giving one partition
    >>>of 1000GB, this gives more speed. Note: in computing terms 0 is used
    >>>for "null" or "not" so RAID 0 is NOT RAID. If either HDD fails then
    >>>all data on both drives could be unrecoverable - not a problem, make
    >>>sure you

    >>backup
    >>
    >>>anything that matters.
    >>>
    >>>RAID 1 is called mirroring. That is where all data is written to
    >>>both drives and in the unlikely event of one drive failing you can
    >>>carry on

    >>with
    >>
    >>>all data intact. You still need to backup all data though, drive
    >>>failure is only one of many causes of data loss.
    >>>
    >>>RAID 0+1 would be where you Create a RAID 0 array and mirror the data
    >>>to another RAID 0 array. Four 500GB HDDs would give 1000GB of
    >>>storage, with all data duplicated.

    >>Hmm more confused now what are these options?
    >>
    >>The nForce4 chipset incorporated four Serial ATA connectors with high
    >>performance RAID functions in RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 and JBOD. The Silicon
    >>Image controller provides another two Serial ATA connectors for RAID 0
    >>and 1 functions.

    > RAID 5 requires 3 or more HDDs. The data is striped across the HDDs and
    > parity data is put on one of the drives. If you have 3 x 500GB HDDs you
    > would get a total of 1000GB storage. If you have 4 x 500GB then RAID 5
    > would give you 1500GB storage.

    You just described RAID 4. With RAID 5 the parity is striped across all
    the drives in the array. Like RAID 4 the storage of RAID 5 is the total
    of all the drives - the size of one drive (N-1).

    Jerry, Apr 10, 2006
  17. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    >>> Have ordered my new PC.
    >>>
    >>> I'm getting 2x500 gig hd's and I was wondering about the best way
    >>> to set them up.
    >>>
    >>> I have my existing hd split into 5, 8gig partitions,
    >>> C for programs/apps
    >>> D for games
    >>> E for p2p
    >>> F for website
    >>> G for general leftover storage/mp3 etc
    >>>
    >>> My dealer is suggesting I use raid 0 and 2 partitions, C: for
    >>> progs/apps and
    >>> D: for everything else?
    >>>
    >>> Considering the capacity, I think with just 2 partitions things
    >>> could get rather out of order.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions? such as other raid setups?
    >>>

    >> Set up as many partitions as you like. i guess this is a personal
    >> preference right?
    >>
    >> My opinion would be to setup 2 partitions. I mean, you can always
    >> have a folder for each of the categories you mention.
    >>

    > Yes but with 1 terabyte of space....having a lot of folders might not
    > be so good. Perhap's 3 partitions. With E: being for video work on
    > its own.

    Craig, you may find my reply to JB in the thread "20 gig maximum for C
    drive. Is this enough?" worth reading. I have the 200GB HDD partitioned as
    described as well as a couple other drives installed just for data. I would
    ceratinly partition, I don't know if I'd bother with RAID though, that's up
    to you.

    With two or more discs I just use SyncToy to copy critical data onto both
    drives (and maybe one off-PC). I wouldn't sacrifice a whole drive's worth of
    space just for RAID on a home PC. Personal opinion.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Apr 10, 2006
  18. Craig Sutton

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <e1d8pt$ioi$>,
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <e1cqmt$odd$>,
    > > says...
    > > > Have ordered my new PC.
    > > >
    > > > I'm getting 2x500 gig hd's and I was wondering about the best way to set
    > > > them up.
    > > >
    > > > I have my existing hd split into 5, 8gig partitions,
    > > > C for programs/apps
    > > > D for games
    > > > E for p2p
    > > > F for website
    > > > G for general leftover storage/mp3 etc
    > > >
    > > > My dealer is suggesting I use raid 0 and 2 partitions, C: for progs/apps

    > and
    > > > D: for everything else?
    > > >
    > > > Considering the capacity, I think with just 2 partitions things could

    > get
    > > > rather out of order.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions? such as other raid setups?

    > > Well RAID1 is the obvious. Safe. RAID0 sounds a bit insane (hope
    > > you'll run good backups) - but it will be very very fast. If that's all
    > > you want, then yep, I think it's the right suggestion.
    > >

    > What about the other raid options? isn't there an option with part of the
    > disk striped and part mirrored? 0+1?

    Not with just two drives though. RAID0+1 is just that, two stripped x
    2, those sets mirrored - so four drives req'd. This is much slower than
    pure RAID0, but faster than RAID5 for intensive read/writes.

    > > I think you have several partitioning options - it's really up to you.
    > > Personally, I'd run no extra partitions (you've got other drives for
    > > that, right ???).

    > No just the twin 500, but ethernet to another pc or the SATA port at the
    > back. Hmm

    Could be useful to have a small 'utility' partition then - just 10 (or
    given the 500's 20) Gb partition.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Apr 11, 2006
  19. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    > > Have ordered my new PC.
    > >
    > > I'm getting 2x500 gig hd's and I was wondering about the best way to set
    > > them up.
    > >
    > > I have my existing hd split into 5, 8gig partitions,
    > > C for programs/apps
    > > D for games
    > > E for p2p
    > > F for website
    > > G for general leftover storage/mp3 etc
    > >
    > > My dealer is suggesting I use raid 0 and 2 partitions, C: for progs/apps

    and
    > > D: for everything else?
    > >
    > > Considering the capacity, I think with just 2 partitions things could

    get
    > > rather out of order.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? such as other raid setups?

    > Yep, pull out one of the 500GB drives and put it in a fileserver; use
    > that for what was previously on E, F, and G partitions.

    I'm thinking about swapping 1 500gig for 2x250 in raid 0 with my important
    content ghosted onto the 500.

    Craig Sutton, Apr 11, 2006