    suggestions to resolve issue that doesn't risk creating another problem?
    Thanks,
    Steve

    steve, Dec 31, 2005

  2. steve

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    news:dp5kma$ca7$-infra.bt.com...
    > We have a new Dell computer that crashes every time when shutting down.Any
    > suggestions to resolve issue that doesn't risk creating another problem?

    If it's a new computer and you have not put a whole lot on it that you're
    concerned about, then wipe the machine out and reinstall the O/S. That would
    be my simple solution.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 31, 2005

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    I used "system restore" computer to original conditon but still the same.
    I could return computer to Dell but it was purchased online,would have to be
    boxed up,arrange a courier,time & hassle.
    Thanks,anyway,
    Steve

    steve, Dec 31, 2005
  4. steve

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    >I used "system restore" computer to original conditon but still the same.
    > I could return computer to Dell but it was purchased online,would have to
    > be boxed up,arrange a courier,time & hassle.
    > Thanks,anyway,
    > Steve

    I wouldn't restore anything and would simply format the HDD and lay down the
    O/S fresh. The computer having some piece of it bad like the chip on the
    board and the O/S not installed properly are two different things with the
    O/S crashing if that's what it's doing when it's being shutdown as you
    indicate.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 31, 2005
  5. steve

    bmoag Guest

    What do you mean "crashes"?
    Blue screen of death?
    Failure to shut down completely?
    Certain shutdown problems are well known with XP and easily fixed.
    Most likely your problems relate to programs that you are not aware of that
    load automatically and stay in the background when you boot the computer.
    These come preinstalled on machines from Dell, HP et al and are a curse of
    the industry. Reinstalling from the restore disks just recreates the
    problems.
    Dell support should walk you through the solution.
    If you query the knowledgebase at Microsoft you will find additional Windows
    specific info about shutdown problems.

    bmoag, Dec 31, 2005
  6. steve

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 09:57:31 +0000, steve wrote:

    > We have a new Dell computer that crashes every time when shutting down.Any
    > suggestions to resolve issue that doesn't risk creating another problem?
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    I'd complain to the place I bought it from. Let them fix it and not ruin
    your warranty.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Dec 31, 2005
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    The computer tries to shutdown but fails and freezes.Dell have long since
    stopped sending all the disks required to reinstall XP and all the drivers
    required.They ship some disks and rely on the Dell internet site to provide
    the rest.Hassle! To be fair,i think the problem was caused by a USB wireless
    adaptor i installed.In sorting that,maybe i've caused the shutdown problem.I
    will query the Microsoft site for help.
    Thanks,
    Steve

    steve, Dec 31, 2005
  8. steve

    Plato Guest

    steve wrote:

    > We have a new Dell computer that crashes every time when shutting down.Any
    > suggestions to resolve issue that doesn't risk creating another problem?

    Did it crash as soon as you got it when shutting down? If so, return it.
    Or, did it start crashing after all the new crapware you may have
    installed? If so, remove the crapware.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 31, 2005
  9. steve

    steve Guest

    There isn't any "crapware" on it.We opened the box,plugged it in,installed a
    USB wi-fi adaptor,had hassle,sorted that out and then it wouldn't shutdown.
    I won't return it for reasons already posted.

    steve, Jan 1, 2006
  10. steve

    cyberwraith Guest

    are you running XP with Norton? The latest update to Norton causes this
    problem with my computer so I rolled back to an earlier restore point and
    all is well. It even stopped my e-mail, I am now waiting for a reply from
    Norton to assist.

    cyberwraith, Jan 1, 2006
  11. steve

    Steve Guest

    cyberwraith wrote:
    > are you running XP with Norton? The latest update to Norton causes this
    > problem with my computer so I rolled back to an earlier restore point and
    > all is well. It even stopped my e-mail, I am now waiting for a reply from
    > Norton to assist.

    Norton is supplied already installed on Dell.I removed it but the
    problem remains.I've never been a fan of Norton hence the removal.
    I didn't know Norton could be the cause.
    Thanks

    Steve, Jan 2, 2006
  12. steve

    D S Guest

    You're not shutting it down with the button on the tower, are you?

    D S, Jan 2, 2006
  13. steve

    Steve Guest

    D S wrote:
    > You're not shutting it down with the button on the tower, are you?

    No.I've downloaded Registry Mechanic and it seems ok now.We'll see !!

    Steve, Jan 2, 2006