New PC Advice

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by rob, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. rob

    rob Guest

    Hello. I just gotten an offer on a new PC and I was hoping if people who
    know about this kind of thing could tell me if the asking price is fair and
    also if a PC with this high specs is worth getting right now (I do enjoy my
    games) Also if its too higher spec what I could get away with. I'd rather
    not be upgrading every few months because that means constantly begging the
    financial controller aka wife :)

    Also I think I'll be sticking with XP. Does it recognise 4GB Ram?

    Thanks in advance

    System specs

    Motherboard: Asus P5K-VM with Intel G33 Chipset
    Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.6GHz 8MB Cache
    1066MHz FSB
    RAM 4 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz
    Hard Drive: 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB Cache
    Video Card Asus EN8800GTS HTDP 640MB
    Monitor Philips 220WS8FB 22" Wide Screen LCD no
    Speakers

    Add in the keyboard etc and it comes to about $3800

    rob, Mar 4, 2008

  2. On Mar 5, 6:14 am, "rob" <> wrote:
    > Hello. I just gotten an offer on a new PC and I was hoping if people who
    > know about this kind of thing could tell me if the asking price is fair and
    > also if a PC with this high specs is worth getting right now (I do enjoy my
    > games) Also if its too higher spec what I could get away with. I'd rather
    > not be upgrading every few months because that means constantly begging the
    > financial controller aka wife :)
    >
    > Also I think I'll be sticking with XP. Does it recognise 4GB Ram?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > System specs
    >
    > Motherboard: Asus P5K-VM with Intel G33 Chipset
    > Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.6GHz 8MB Cache
    > 1066MHz FSB
    > RAM 4 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz
    > Hard Drive: 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB Cache
    > Video Card Asus EN8800GTS HTDP 640MB
    > Monitor Philips 220WS8FB 22" Wide Screen LCD no
    > Speakers
    >
    > Add in the keyboard etc and it comes to about $3800

    Seems a bit expensive to me
    This comparable package from XP computer warehouse (who I use because
    they are handy to me) comes in at $1499 exc GST (slighty less RAM, but
    a bigger HDD and this is a Quad Core system

    http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=3034

    And this system with all the bells and whistles and a 24 in LCD still
    comes in at S2399

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz
    http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=2669

    Peter Jenkins, Mar 4, 2008

  3. rob

    impossible Guest

    "rob" <> wrote in message news:fqk02h$hse$...
    > Hello. I just gotten an offer on a new PC and I was hoping if people who
    > know about this kind of thing could tell me if the asking price is fair
    > and also if a PC with this high specs is worth getting right now (I do
    > enjoy my games) Also if its too higher spec what I could get away with.
    > I'd rather not be upgrading every few months because that means constantly
    > begging the financial controller aka wife :)
    >
    > Also I think I'll be sticking with XP. Does it recognise 4GB Ram?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > System specs

    You quote no individual component prices, but something here doesn't add up.
    If your budget is ~$3800, then you should have no trouble getting exactly
    what you want, but see comments below for how you might shift resources from
    the processor to other pieces.

    > Motherboard: Asus P5K-VM with Intel G33 Chipset

    This is a micro-ATX motherboard, and maybe that's because you have a micro
    case, I don't know (you don't mentiuon a case at all). But check the
    specifications to be sure you're not going to lose features you want/need
    (for example: only 6 USB ports supported, compared to the more typical 10-12
    on new boards, no e-sata.). From a different perspective, the onboard video
    is redundant here because you're also buying a seperate video card, so maybe
    a different board would provide a better cost/quality mix on the other
    components.

    Overall, unless you're committed to a micro design, this board is no
    bargain. It's is a low-end rendition of the otherwise well-rerspected P5K
    series of boards. I'd want to compare prices on something like the Intel
    DP35DP (if you're not planning to overclock), or with the cost savings I
    suggest below, look at the P5K premium and deluxe versions.

    > Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.6GHz 8MB Cache
    > 1066MHz FSB

    If you want a quad core, then save a bundle and drop down to the Q6600 --
    the performance difference is negligible. Use the savings here to finance
    other components.

    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html

    > RAM 4 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz

    If you're running a 32-bit os like Windows, then stick to 3Gb, because the
    rest will be wasted. 2x1Gb + 2x512Mb is preferred, but check your
    motherboard specs.

    > Hard Drive: 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB Cache

    Hard drives are not generic, so be sure to check reviews/benchmarks on the
    specific brand and model you're being offered. And here's a logical place to
    think about investing some of your savings on the processor -- think about
    the added convenience/security of a second drive that you could use for
    either additional storage or backups.

    http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html
    http://www.storagereview.com/

    > Video Card Asus EN8800GTS HTDP 640MB
    > Monitor Philips 220WS8FB 22" Wide Screen LCD no
    > Speakers
    >
    > Add in the keyboard etc and it comes to about $3800

    No case specified. Is that because you already have one? If so, this could
    be a place where you could shift resources from the processor. Think about
    air flow, noise levels, the quality and capacity of the power supply, etc.
    More so than with processors, motherboards, and video cards, a one-time
    investment in a quality case can last you for many, many years.

    impossible, Mar 4, 2008
  4. rob

    thingy Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "rob" <> wrote in message news:fqk02h$hse$...
    >> Hello. I just gotten an offer on a new PC and I was hoping if people who
    >> know about this kind of thing could tell me if the asking price is fair
    >> and also if a PC with this high specs is worth getting right now (I do
    >> enjoy my games) Also if its too higher spec what I could get away with.
    >> I'd rather not be upgrading every few months because that means constantly
    >> begging the financial controller aka wife :)
    >>
    >> Also I think I'll be sticking with XP. Does it recognise 4GB Ram?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> System specs
    >>

    > You quote no individual component prices, but something here doesn't add up.
    > If your budget is ~$3800, then you should have no trouble getting exactly
    > what you want, but see comments below for how you might shift resources from
    > the processor to other pieces.
    >
    >> Motherboard: Asus P5K-VM with Intel G33 Chipset

    > This is a micro-ATX motherboard, and maybe that's because you have a micro
    > case, I don't know (you don't mentiuon a case at all). But check the
    > specifications to be sure you're not going to lose features you want/need
    > (for example: only 6 USB ports supported, compared to the more typical 10-12
    > on new boards, no e-sata.). From a different perspective, the onboard video
    > is redundant here because you're also buying a seperate video card, so maybe
    > a different board would provide a better cost/quality mix on the other
    > components.
    >
    > Overall, unless you're committed to a micro design, this board is no
    > bargain. It's is a low-end rendition of the otherwise well-rerspected P5K
    > series of boards. I'd want to compare prices on something like the Intel
    > DP35DP (if you're not planning to overclock), or with the cost savings I
    > suggest below, look at the P5K premium and deluxe versions.

    Agree, I do like the Gigabyte boards though. Most good boards to
    firewire and e-sata these days so I'd get these. 6USB is not enough...8
    minimum especially if you are using a usb keyboard and mouse, a 7 port
    usb2 hub is going to cost you $70, spend it on the board. All else being
    equal I would also consider a board with at least a second 4x or 8x way
    pci-e slot and 2 minimum pci slots, pci-e x 1 seem common but pretty
    useless IMHO.

    >> Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.6GHz 8MB Cache
    >> 1066MHz FSB

    > If you want a quad core, then save a bundle and drop down to the Q6600 --
    > the performance difference is negligible. Use the savings here to finance
    > other components.

    Very much agree going from the Q6600 to the Q6700 means $800+ v <$400
    for maybe 2% improvement if you are lucky, spend some money on a good
    cpu cooler and overclock it slightly (ie no voltage change)

    > http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html
    >
    >> RAM 4 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz

    > If you're running a 32-bit os like Windows, then stick to 3Gb, because the
    > rest will be wasted. 2x1Gb + 2x512Mb is preferred, but check your
    > motherboard specs.

    I'd just get 4 x 1s or 2 x 2s, XP 32bit can only do 3.5Gig and XP 64bit
    is somewhere you really dont want to go....trust me the 3rd party driver
    support is flaky (and that's being kind) and MS are their usual we dont
    give a damn now you have bought it...

    >> Hard Drive: 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB Cache

    > Hard drives are not generic, so be sure to check reviews/benchmarks on the
    > specific brand and model you're being offered. And here's a logical place to
    > think about investing some of your savings on the processor -- think about
    > the added convenience/security of a second drive that you could use for
    > either additional storage or backups.

    Seagates have a 5 year warrantee so I always start with them.

    > http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html
    > http://www.storagereview.com/
    >

    >> Video Card Asus EN8800GTS HTDP 640MB

    This looks like the old obsolete graphics card, I would not touch it
    myself, not on a box at this price. The new 512m or 1Gig 8800GTS is
    better little if any more $ but the 512meg 8800GT is so close to the old
    GTS that I'd never buy this old GTS card....

    Also while I know ppl say wait for the next best thing the new ATI card
    with dual gpus on one pci-e card looks to be a very good deal...

    >> Monitor Philips 220WS8FB 22" Wide Screen LCD no
    >> Speakers

    Fine, though I'd look at the Viewsonic or the Dell ultra sharp range as
    well, the philips is a good price but the reviews should be scanned for
    colour and speed comments. CRTs can be the best for games, I still have
    my 2 x 21inch CRTs for that very reason, if space is not an issue think
    carefully on that.

    >> Add in the keyboard etc and it comes to about $3800

    No mention of a PSU? something decent like a Corsair, $250 ish as a
    cheap one is a nightmare.

    Saving money, I'd only get 2gig (2 x 1) of ddr2-800 (Transend lifetime ~
    $80), and look at the GT8800 512meg (<$400) or the equiv ATI....I'd also
    seriously consider a 21inch CRT if you are a games player, but it has to
    be a good monitor.

    The new 9600GT is also here soon, a tiny bit slower than the 8800GT but
    cheaper....not available here yet and with the games now I think the
    8800GT is about the minimum, and definitely no less than 512Meg Video
    Ram, so 8800GT, for me (or same in ATI).

    One of the best things to spend money on though is a good quality and
    bigger is better monitor IMHO. Mine are 3 and 6 years old and cost me a
    small fortune back then but Ive never regretted it....they do 85,hz+ so
    are rock solid and stable...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 4, 2008
  5. On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 06:14:55 +1300, "rob" <> wrote:

    >Hello. I just gotten an offer on a new PC and I was hoping if people who
    >know about this kind of thing could tell me if the asking price is fair and
    >also if a PC with this high specs is worth getting right now (I do enjoy my
    >games) Also if its too higher spec what I could get away with. I'd rather
    >not be upgrading every few months because that means constantly begging the
    >financial controller aka wife :)
    >
    >Also I think I'll be sticking with XP. Does it recognise 4GB Ram?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >System specs
    >
    >Motherboard: Asus P5K-VM with Intel G33 Chipset
    >Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.6GHz 8MB Cache
    >1066MHz FSB
    >RAM 4 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz
    >Hard Drive: 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB Cache
    >Video Card Asus EN8800GTS HTDP 640MB
    >Monitor Philips 220WS8FB 22" Wide Screen LCD no
    >Speakers
    >
    >Add in the keyboard etc and it comes to about $3800

    No Sound card listed, needed if you are into Music or games..

    Brian Mathews, Mar 4, 2008
  6. On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 10:00:32 -0800 (PST), Peter Jenkins <> wrote:

    >On Mar 5, 6:14 am, "rob" <> wrote:
    >> Hello. I just gotten an offer on a new PC and I was hoping if people who
    >> know about this kind of thing could tell me if the asking price is fair and
    >> also if a PC with this high specs is worth getting right now (I do enjoy my
    >> games) Also if its too higher spec what I could get away with. I'd rather
    >> not be upgrading every few months because that means constantly begging the
    >> financial controller aka wife :)
    >>
    >> Also I think I'll be sticking with XP. Does it recognise 4GB Ram?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> System specs
    >>
    >> Motherboard: Asus P5K-VM with Intel G33 Chipset
    >> Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.6GHz 8MB Cache
    >> 1066MHz FSB
    >> RAM 4 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz
    >> Hard Drive: 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB Cache
    >> Video Card Asus EN8800GTS HTDP 640MB
    >> Monitor Philips 220WS8FB 22" Wide Screen LCD no
    >> Speakers
    >>
    >> Add in the keyboard etc and it comes to about $3800

    >Seems a bit expensive to me
    >This comparable package from XP computer warehouse (who I use because
    >they are handy to me) comes in at $1499 exc GST (slighty less RAM, but
    >a bigger HDD and this is a Quad Core system
    >
    >http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=3034
    >
    >And this system with all the bells and whistles and a 24 in LCD still
    >comes in at S2399
    >
    >Regards
    >Peter Jenkins
    >see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz
    >http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=2669

    But does it have a Good Video card sound card, 5 year warrantee hard drive etc, ALL low cost
    computer use low end products and No video card.

    Brian Mathews, Mar 4, 2008
  7. On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 06:14:55 +1300, "rob" <> wrote:

    >Hello. I just gotten an offer on a new PC and I was hoping if people who
    >know about this kind of thing could tell me if the asking price is fair and
    >also if a PC with this high specs is worth getting right now (I do enjoy my
    >games) Also if its too higher spec what I could get away with. I'd rather
    >not be upgrading every few months because that means constantly begging the
    >financial controller aka wife :)
    >
    >Also I think I'll be sticking with XP. Does it recognise 4GB Ram?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >System specs
    >
    >Motherboard: Asus P5K-VM with Intel G33 Chipset
    >Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.6GHz 8MB Cache
    >1066MHz FSB
    >RAM 4 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz
    >Hard Drive: 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB Cache
    >Video Card Asus EN8800GTS HTDP 640MB
    >Monitor Philips 220WS8FB 22" Wide Screen LCD no
    >Speakers
    >
    >Add in the keyboard etc and it comes to about $3800

    And a Cheap case say $100 ore more plus the PSU..

    Brian Mathews, Mar 4, 2008
  8. rob

    rob Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > specific brand and model you're being offered. And here's a logical place
    > to think about investing some of your savings on the processor -- think
    > about the added convenience/security of a second drive that you could use
    > for either additional storage or backups.
    >
    > http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html
    > http://www.storagereview.com/
    >

    >> Video Card Asus EN8800GTS HTDP 640MB
    >> Monitor Philips 220WS8FB 22" Wide Screen LCD no
    >> Speakers
    >>
    >> Add in the keyboard etc and it comes to about $3800
    >>

    > No case specified. Is that because you already have one? If so, this could
    > be a place where you could shift resources from the processor. Think about
    > air flow, noise levels, the quality and capacity of the power supply, etc.
    > More so than with processors, motherboards, and video cards, a one-time
    > investment in a quality case can last you for many, many years.

    Thanks for the advice, the case is a Tower Case with 620W PSU and Front/Rear
    Chassis Fans. I'll drop the PCU to the 6600 or for games would I be better
    going with dual core?

    rob, Mar 4, 2008
  9. rob

    rob Guest

    "Peter Jenkins" wrote

    >> Add in the keyboard etc and it comes to about $3800

    > Seems a bit expensive to me
    > This comparable package from XP computer warehouse (who I use because
    > they are handy to me) comes in at $1499 exc GST (slighty less RAM, but
    > a bigger HDD and this is a Quad Core system
    >
    > http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=3034
    >
    > And this system with all the bells and whistles and a 24 in LCD still
    > comes in at S2399
    >
    > Regards
    > Peter Jenkins
    > see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz
    > http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=2669

    Dang! How come they're so cheap? All the Canterbury suppliers I've talked
    to are within $100ish dollars of each other.

    rob, Mar 4, 2008
  10. rob

    rob Guest

    "thingy" wrote ...

    >>> Video Card Asus EN8800GTS HTDP 640MB

    > This looks like the old obsolete graphics card, I would not touch it
    > myself, not on a box at this price. The new 512m or 1Gig 8800GTS is
    > better little if any more $ but the 512meg 8800GT is so close to the old
    > GTS that I'd never buy this old GTS card....

    It's a $800 odd dollar video card, is it really rubbish?

    rob, Mar 4, 2008
  11. rob

    impossible Guest

    "rob" <> wrote in message news:fqkhmu$gkv$...

> [...]

    >> could use for either additional storage or backups.
    >>
    >> http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html
    >> http://www.storagereview.com/
    >>

    >>> Video Card Asus EN8800GTS HTDP 640MB
    >>> Monitor Philips 220WS8FB 22" Wide Screen LCD no
    >>> Speakers
    >>>
    >>> Add in the keyboard etc and it comes to about $3800
    >>>

    >> No case specified. Is that because you already have one? If so, this
    >> could be a place where you could shift resources from the processor.
    >> Think about air flow, noise levels, the quality and capacity of the power
    >> supply, etc. More so than with processors, motherboards, and video cards,
    >> a one-time investment in a quality case can last you for many, many
    >> years.
    >>

    > Thanks for the advice, the case is a Tower Case with 620W PSU and
    > Front/Rear Chassis Fans. I'll drop the PCU to the 6600 or for games would

    I'm not a gamer myself, but from what I've read it will be likely be some
    time before you'll see versions of the most popular games that will really
    take advantage of 4 cores. The same goes for almost any software out there
    really. So if you can find an equivalently-priced Dual Core 6850, or (better
    yet) one of the new E8400s, I'd also consider one of those, because they're
    capable of driving each core at significantly higher clock speeds. And if
    you look at the Tom 's Hardware benchmarks I referenced earlier, you'll see
    that for some applications/games these dual cores are actually better
    performers.

    impossible, Mar 4, 2008
  12. rob

    Rob Simpson Guest

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:51:17 +1300, Brian Mathews propped his eyelids open
    with toothpicks and wrote:

    > On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 10:00:32 -0800 (PST), Peter Jenkins
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mar 5, 6:14 am, "rob" <> wrote:
    >>> Hello. I just gotten an offer on a new PC and I was hoping if people
    >>> who know about this kind of thing could tell me if the asking price is
    >>> fair and also if a PC with this high specs is worth getting right now
    >>> (I do enjoy my games) Also if its too higher spec what I could get
    >>> away with. I'd rather not be upgrading every few months because that
    >>> means constantly begging the financial controller aka wife :)
    >>>
    >>> Also I think I'll be sticking with XP. Does it recognise 4GB Ram?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>>
    >>> System specs
    >>>
    >>> Motherboard: Asus P5K-VM with Intel G33 Chipset Processor
    >>> Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.6GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB
    >>> RAM 4 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz Hard Drive:
    >>> 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB Cache Video Card
    >>> Asus EN8800GTS HTDP 640MB Monitor Philips
    >>> 220WS8FB 22" Wide Screen LCD no Speakers
    >>>
    >>> Add in the keyboard etc and it comes to about $3800

    >>Seems a bit expensive to me
    >>This comparable package from XP computer warehouse (who I use because
    >>they are handy to me) comes in at $1499 exc GST (slighty less RAM, but a
    >>bigger HDD and this is a Quad Core system
    >>
    >>http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=3034
    >>
    >>And this system with all the bells and whistles and a 24 in LCD still
    >>comes in at S2399
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>Peter Jenkins
    >>see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz
    >>http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=2669

    > But does it have a Good Video card sound card, 5 year warrantee hard
    > drive etc, ALL low cost computer use low end products and No video
    > card.

    If you followed the link you'd see it comes with a GeForce 8800GTS 640Mb
    card. And nowadays with the favorable exchange rate and resulting low cost
    of components, I wouldn't call $2399 a low cost computer. Next time before
    you spout unsubstantiated generalities, try doing a little research first.

    --
    Rob
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer,

    Rob Simpson, Mar 5, 2008
  13. rob

    Rob Simpson Guest

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:47:07 +1300, Brian Mathews propped his eyelids open
    with toothpicks and wrote:

    > No Sound card listed, needed if you are into Music or games..

    No brain listed. Needed if you do a little research and find that the
    motherboard has onboard sound (Realtek ALC 883, 8-channel High-Definition
    Audio CODEC).

    Rob Simpson, Mar 5, 2008
  14. On 5 Mar 2008 14:06:07 +1300, Rob Simpson <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:47:07 +1300, Brian Mathews propped his eyelids open
    >with toothpicks and wrote:
    >

    >> No Sound card listed, needed if you are into Music or games..

    >No brain listed. Needed if you do a little research and find that the
    >motherboard has onboard sound (Realtek ALC 883, 8-channel High-Definition
    >Audio CODEC).

    Yes but uses the CPU, so Loads the system some 40-60% , good Sound cards use about 4% No support
    for Music programs, time me thinks you do need to do some research what a Real sound card offers.

    I WILL STATE AGAIN NO SOUND CARD LISTED.

    Brian Mathews, Mar 5, 2008
  15. rob

    Allistar Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:

    > On 5 Mar 2008 14:06:07 +1300, Rob Simpson <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:47:07 +1300, Brian Mathews propped his eyelids open
    >>with toothpicks and wrote:
    >>

    >>> No Sound card listed, needed if you are into Music or games..

    >>No brain listed. Needed if you do a little research and find that the
    >>motherboard has onboard sound (Realtek ALC 883, 8-channel High-Definition
    >>Audio CODEC).

    > Yes but uses the CPU, so Loads the system some 40-60% , good Sound cards
    > use about 4% No support for Music programs, time me thinks you do need to
    > do some research what a Real sound card offers.
    >

    > I WILL STATE AGAIN NO SOUND CARD LISTED.

    It's a quad core. Who cares if one of the cores works a bit harder for
    sound?

    I have a QX6700 (quad core) with a built in sound card (from memory my m/b
    is an Asus P5W Deluxe). When playing sound I notice a negligible impact on
    CPU usage. It doesn't matter how hard I stress the PC, the sound never
    stutters when playing music.

    If it were a single core you may have a point.
    --
    A.

    Allistar, Mar 5, 2008
  16. On 5 Mar 2008 13:52:52 +1300, Rob Simpson <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:51:17 +1300, Brian Mathews propped his eyelids open
    > with toothpicks and wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 10:00:32 -0800 (PST), Peter Jenkins
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Seems a bit expensive to me
    >>>This comparable package from XP computer warehouse (who I use because
    >>>they are handy to me) comes in at $1499 exc GST (slighty less RAM, but a
    >>>bigger HDD and this is a Quad Core system
    >>>
    >>>http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=3034
    >>>
    >>>And this system with all the bells and whistles and a 24 in LCD still
    >>>comes in at S2399
    >>>
    >>>Regards
    >>>Peter Jenkins
    >>>see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz
    >>>http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=2669

    >> But does it have a Good Video card sound card, 5 year warrantee hard
    >> drive etc, ALL low cost computer use low end products and No video
    >> card.

    > If you followed the link you'd see it comes with a GeForce 8800GTS 640Mb
    > card. And nowadays with the favorable exchange rate and resulting low cost
    > of components, I wouldn't call $2399 a low cost computer. Next time before
    > you spout unsubstantiated generalities, try doing a little research first.

    You do realise that it's 'Woger' Sheppard you are arguing with, don't you?

    --
    - Nic.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Mar 5, 2008
  17. rob

    Rob Simpson Guest

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 15:02:14 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins propped his eyelids
    open with toothpicks and wrote:

    > You do realise that it's 'Woger' Sheppard you are arguing with, don't
    > you?

    Yup. I've got to get out of this habit I'm developing where I feel
    compelled to jump on him when he makes his regular stupid statements.
    Probably time I killfiled him again.

    Does anyone know his address so I can bill him for the hard drive required
    to hold the ridiculous number of nicks he goes through?

    --
    Rob
    Whip me. Beat me. Make me maintain AIX.

    Rob Simpson, Mar 5, 2008
  18. In article <>, thingy did write:

    > ... XP 64bit is somewhere you really dont want to go....trust me the 3rd
    > party driver support is flaky (and that's being kind) and MS are their
    > usual we dont give a damn now you have bought it...

    Would 64-bit Vista be any better?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 5, 2008
  19. rob

    Nighthawk Guest

    wrote:

    >Hello. I just gotten an offer on a new PC and I was hoping if people who
    >know about this kind of thing could tell me if the asking price is fair and
    >also if a PC with this high specs is worth getting right now (I do enjoy my
    >games) Also if its too higher spec what I could get away with. I'd rather
    >not be upgrading every few months because that means constantly begging the
    >financial controller aka wife :)
    >
    >Also I think I'll be sticking with XP. Does it recognise 4GB Ram?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >System specs
    >
    >Motherboard: Asus P5K-VM with Intel G33 Chipset
    >Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.6GHz 8MB Cache
    >1066MHz FSB
    >RAM 4 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz
    >Hard Drive: 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB Cache
    >Video Card Asus EN8800GTS HTDP 640MB
    >Monitor Philips 220WS8FB 22" Wide Screen LCD no
    >Speakers
    >
    >Add in the keyboard etc and it comes to about $3800

    Seems expensive to me. I am building a PC for someone who won't be
    gong online ever, won't be playing 3D games, with Athlon64 X2 4800+,
    Asus M2A-VM HDMI mobo, 2GB DDR2-800 RAM, 250GB SATA2 HDD, LiteOn
    LH-20A3S SATA DVD-RW, 28" Viewsonic VX2835WM Widescreen LCD, Logitech
    Cordless Desktop Wave Laser mouse/keyboard combo, 430W Thermaltake
    PSU, etc, under $2K.

    Good article about the 4GB RAM situation here:

    Nighthawk, Mar 5, 2008
  20. rob

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 14:39:25 +1300, Brian Mathews
    <> wrote:

    >On 5 Mar 2008 14:06:07 +1300, Rob Simpson <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:47:07 +1300, Brian Mathews propped his eyelids open
    >>with toothpicks and wrote:
    >>

    >>> No Sound card listed, needed if you are into Music or games..

    >>No brain listed. Needed if you do a little research and find that the
    >>motherboard has onboard sound (Realtek ALC 883, 8-channel High-Definition
    >>Audio CODEC).

    >Yes but uses the CPU, so Loads the system some 40-60% , good Sound cards use about 4% No support
    >for Music programs, time me thinks you do need to do some research what a Real sound card offers.
    >

    >I WILL STATE AGAIN NO SOUND CARD LISTED.

    I don't see how the onboard could load this system that much.

    Nighthawk, Mar 5, 2008