    Here lies the late Martin Francis
    He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss
    But he did take some photographs once.
    Martin Francis, Nov 18, 2003

  2. "Martin Francis" <> wrote in
    message news:bpe13q$d65$...
    > In the British magazine Amateur Photographer there is a news article (with
    > photograph) on a new Panasonic camera with a *manual focus only* Leica lens.
    > The body has a definite look of a Leica-style rangefinder camera body to it.
    > I haven't seen anything about this on the net yet, and AP is usually a
    > reliable source... is this likely just to be a very early April Fools prank
    > played on the magazine?

    I saw it and like you I'm puzzled by the apparent lack of any focus aid. If
    it's supposed to rely on squinting at the LCD, it's not going to be very useful
    when the sun is out...
    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Malcolm Stewart, Nov 18, 2003

  3. "Malcolm Stewart" <> wrote in
    message news:bpeatp$33m$...
    > I saw it and like you I'm puzzled by the apparent lack of any focus aid.

    If
    > it's supposed to rely on squinting at the LCD, it's not going to be very

    useful
    > when the sun is out...

    Found out more (see my post on rec.photo.equipment.35mm). Apparently it's
    NOT just manual focus but it DOES have a nice big manual focus ring (as well
    as zoom and aperture rings and a shutter dial on top).

    It uses the Dimage 7/A1-style EVF instead of a direct view or rangefinder
    method.

    Martin Francis, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Martin Francis

    Stewy Guest

    "Martin Francis" <> wrote in
    message news:bpe13q$d65$...
    > In the British magazine Amateur Photographer there is a news article (with
    > photograph) on a new Panasonic camera with a *manual focus only* Leica

    lens.
    > The body has a definite look of a Leica-style rangefinder camera body to

    it.
    > I haven't seen anything about this on the net yet, and AP is usually a
    > reliable source... is this likely just to be a very early April Fools

    prank
    > played on the magazine?

    Perhaps you're thinking about the new FZ10? This is the upgraded FZ2.
    The FZ10 has a 12x optical zoom, manual focus, 4 megapixel Leica lens and a
    fuzzy logic image stabilization. Price here in Japan is around 70,000 yen
    (US$650)
    Stewy, Nov 19, 2003
  5. "Martin Francis" <> wrote in

    Malcolm Stewart, Nov 19, 2003
  6. Martin Francis

    Sam Jost Guest

    "Malcolm Stewart" <> wrote:
    > "Martin Francis" <> wrote:
    > > In the British magazine Amateur Photographer there is a news article (with
    > > photograph) on a new Panasonic camera with a *manual focus only* Leica lens.
    > > The body has a definite look of a Leica-style rangefinder camera body to it.
    > > I haven't seen anything about this on the net yet, and AP is usually a
    > > reliable source... is this likely just to be a very early April Fools prank
    > > played on the magazine?

    > I saw it and like you I'm puzzled by the apparent lack of any focus aid. If
    > it's supposed to rely on squinting at the LCD, it's not going to be very useful
    > when the sun is out...

    Of course the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ-10 *has* automatic focus.
    Panasonic got a nice flash demo of the cam and it's features on their
    japanese homepage, and it very clearly states how to use the manual
    focus instead of the automatic one.

    They just write the manual focus thingy so large because it is
    uncommon for compact digicams.

    Sam
    Sam Jost, Nov 20, 2003
  7. Martin Francis

    John Bean Guest

    On 20 Nov 2003 01:06:12 -0800, Sam Jost wrote:

    > "Malcolm Stewart" <> wrote:
    >> "Martin Francis" <> wrote:
    >>> In the British magazine Amateur Photographer there is a news article (with
    >>> photograph) on a new Panasonic camera with a *manual focus only* Leica lens.
    >>> The body has a definite look of a Leica-style rangefinder camera body to it.
    >>> I haven't seen anything about this on the net yet, and AP is usually a
    >>> reliable source... is this likely just to be a very early April Fools prank
    >>> played on the magazine?

    >> I saw it and like you I'm puzzled by the apparent lack of any focus aid. If
    >> it's supposed to rely on squinting at the LCD, it's not going to be very useful
    >> when the sun is out...

    > Of course the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ-10 *has* automatic focus.
    > Panasonic got a nice flash demo of the cam and it's features on their
    > japanese homepage, and it very clearly states how to use the manual
    > focus instead of the automatic one.
    >
    > They just write the manual focus thingy so large because it is
    > uncommon for compact digicams.

    Completely different camera. The camera pictured and described in the
    magazine has *only* manual focus. The body has a shutter speed dial on top
    and the lens barrel carries focus, zoom and aperture rings just as you'd
    expect to find them on a manual film camera. In fact the comment was made
    that it resembled a Leica R lens on an M body.

    It will be interesting to see what they've done with the viewfinder.

    --
    John Bean

    I never knew my father was an alcoholic
    until he came home sober one night... (Andre Botes)
    John Bean, Nov 20, 2003
  8. Martin Francis

    Sam Jost Guest

    John Bean <> wrote in message news:<1eo4o339m7ou3$>...
    > On 20 Nov 2003 01:06:12 -0800, Sam Jost wrote:
    >
    > > Of course the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ-10 *has* automatic focus.
    > > Panasonic got a nice flash demo of the cam and it's features on their
    > > japanese homepage, and it very clearly states how to use the manual
    > > focus instead of the automatic one.
    > >
    > > They just write the manual focus thingy so large because it is
    > > uncommon for compact digicams.

    > Completely different camera. The camera pictured and described in the
    > magazine has *only* manual focus. The body has a shutter speed dial on top
    > and the lens barrel carries focus, zoom and aperture rings just as you'd
    > expect to find them on a manual film camera. In fact the comment was made
    > that it resembled a Leica R lens on an M body.

    Aah, if it aint the fz10 I don't know heck about it, sorry.

    > It will be interesting to see what they've done with the viewfinder.

    And it sure will be interesting what audience they target with a pure
    manual camera. well, we'll see...

    bye,
    Sam
    Sam Jost, Nov 20, 2003