    What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is

    I certainly will be looking for a new ISP

    Waituke

    waituke, Mar 16, 2006

  2. waituke

    Chris Hope Guest

    waituke wrote:

    > What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
    >
    > I certainly will be looking for a new ISP

    You'll need to wait and see how much the other ISPs are going to charge
    first. I suspect everyone will end up charging more, which will make a
    lie out of Telecom's statement that prices are coming down as well as
    speeds going up.

    Chris Hope, Mar 16, 2006

  3. "waituke" <> wrote in message
    > What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
    >
    > I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
    >
    > Waituke

    hey, nz is a low population density country, and, we have a big sea cable to
    pay for - what'ya expect?

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 16, 2006
  4. waituke

    Deck Guest

    "waituke" <> wrote in message
    > What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
    >
    > I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
    >
    > Waituke

    i'm not getting it, why a lot of people are saying its a rip-off.
    with the old plan i never go beyond 10Gb a month, the most
    I did was 8G, so I'm paying less than $50. with the new cap
    of 4G and $10 per 5Gb for excess, I''ll still be paying $50 at most.
    If I upgrade to the new 3Mbps plan, its still $50 as long as i don't use
    more than 10Gb in a month in total. how am I getting ripped-off here?
    can someone explain pls ?

    Deck, Mar 16, 2006
  5. waituke

    ~misfit~ Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "waituke" <> wrote in message
    >> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
    >>
    >> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
    >>
    >> Waituke

    > hey, nz is a low population density country, and, we have a big sea
    > cable to pay for - what'ya expect?

    Last I heard it was paid for a while ago already. That should give you some
    idea of the profit margins they're running at.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 16, 2006
  6. waituke

    Guest

    Not just that, orcon became user-unfriendly a couple of years ago.

    See all you need to know about Helen Klark and the Maoist lezzies who
    run NZ at http://bonspiel.orcon.net.nz

    No doubt the homos at orcon wil nuke this site, the same as they have
    nuked several others without consultation. **** you, Craig. Go into
    politics if you want to make a difference. Dishonest asshole.

    , Mar 16, 2006
  7. waituke

    Vista Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > waituke wrote:
    >
    >> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
    >>
    >> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP

    > You'll need to wait and see how much the other ISPs are going to charge
    > first. I suspect everyone will end up charging more, which will make a
    > lie out of Telecom's statement that prices are coming down as well as
    > speeds going up.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.com

    Telecoms arguement for that, is that 'on average' broadband prices are
    coming down. This is becuase business broadband prices are coming down,
    however home broadband prices will stay about the same, or may possibily
    rise. The commerce commision have been looking at their advertising.

    Vista, Mar 16, 2006
  8. waituke

    Vista Guest

    "waituke" <> wrote in message
    > What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
    >
    > I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
    >
    > Waituke

    I am holding off signing up to broadband, until they go live. Orcon appear
    to have changed the goalposts on their plans, and probably many other ISPs
    will also follow. Just wondering what happens if an ISP such as slingshot,
    who when you sign up to them, they require you to signup to a 12 month
    contract, with no alternative contract options, and charge a $100 fee if you
    cancel it. As they will have changed the conditions of the contract, in
    terms of the product offered and pricing, will the customer be able to
    terminate the contract with no penalty? Also what about churn fees, will
    these also be waived due to a substantial change into he contract. I suspect
    many of these ISPs who offered good deals on broadband, always had the
    intention of rising their prices in the future, but just wanted to get a
    good client base established first, so they offered excellent deals just to
    hook customers in, however the prices they offered were never going to be
    sustainable without rising prices.

    Vista, Mar 17, 2006
  9. waituke

    Philip Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "waituke" <> wrote in message
    >> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
    >>
    >> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
    >>
    >> Waituke

    > hey, nz is a low population density country, and, we have a big sea cable to
    > pay for - what'ya expect?

    Are you saying that Telecom didn't know the population density when they
    bought in? Whatever happened to due diligence?

    And by the way, care to remind us who owns 50% of Southern Cross cable?

    Here's a clue: T*l*c*m NZ.

    Philip

    Philip, Mar 17, 2006
  10. On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:56:11 +1300, someone purporting to be
    news.xtra.co.nz didst scrawl:

    > "waituke" <> wrote in message

    *SNIP*

    > hey, nz is a low population density country,

    So, pray tell, how come Finland (with a population density roughly equal
    to ours) is at number seven on the last OECD broadband rankings? And how
    is it that Canada (1/5 our PD) is at number six? How about how Australia
    (2/15) is at number 17? Worst of all, how is Iceland (also 2/15) at number
    FOUR?!

    Sorry, but "low population density" doesn't cut it.

    > and, we have a big sea cable to pay for - what'ya expect?

    That was paid for about four years ago. Now it's all maintenance (which is
    quite cheap, relatively speaking) and profit. Mostly profit.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Mar 17, 2006
  11. waituke

    Torrential Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:02:28 +1300, waituke <> wrote:

    >What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
    >
    >I certainly will be looking for a new ISP

    what if other ISP get the same problem as Orcon from Telescum !

    i.e telescum monopoly approach.. what choice do we have anyway!

    Torrential, Mar 17, 2006
  12. waituke

    Vista Guest

    "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:56:11 +1300, someone purporting to be
    > news.xtra.co.nz didst scrawl:
    >

    >> "waituke" <> wrote in message

    > *SNIP*
    >>
    >> hey, nz is a low population density country,

    > So, pray tell, how come Finland (with a population density roughly equal
    > to ours) is at number seven on the last OECD broadband rankings? And how
    > is it that Canada (1/5 our PD) is at number six? How about how Australia
    > (2/15) is at number 17? Worst of all, how is Iceland (also 2/15) at number
    > FOUR?!

    But their government probably didn't sell their telecommunications
    infrastructure off to a private company, like the NZ government did. That is
    probably where the main difference is.

    Vista, Mar 17, 2006
  13. On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:30:58 +1300, someone purporting to be Vista didst
    scrawl:

    > "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message

    *SNIP*
    > But their government probably didn't sell their telecommunications
    > infrastructure off to a private company, like the NZ government did. That is
    > probably where the main difference is.

    NZ and Mexico are the only two countries in the OECD that don't have an
    unbundled local loop, which suggests that every other country did, in
    fact, sell off the infrastructure.
    Part of the reason Australia is so far down the list is that it's only
    just going through the process of unbundling from Telstra at the moment.

    Matthew Poole, Mar 17, 2006
  14. Matthew Poole wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:56:11 +1300, someone purporting to be
    > news.xtra.co.nz didst scrawl:
    >
    >> "waituke" <> wrote in message

    > *SNIP*
    >> hey, nz is a low population density country,

    > So, pray tell, how come Finland (with a population density roughly equal
    > to ours) is at number seven on the last OECD broadband rankings? And how
    > is it that Canada (1/5 our PD) is at number six? How about how Australia
    > (2/15) is at number 17? Worst of all, how is Iceland (also 2/15) at number
    > FOUR?!
    >
    > Sorry, but "low population density" doesn't cut it.
    >
    >> and, we have a big sea cable to pay for - what'ya expect?

    > That was paid for about four years ago. Now it's all maintenance (which is
    > quite cheap, relatively speaking) and profit. Mostly profit.

    In general Population density dosnt come into it until you expand it further
    and see what percentage of the population is in the dense areas compared to the
    other areas. NZ is way down there at the bottom when compared to other countries

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*

    Collector»NZ, Mar 17, 2006
  15. On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:11:02 +1300, someone purporting to be Collector»NZ
    didst scrawl:

    > Matthew Poole wrote:

    *SNIP*
    > In general Population density dosnt come into it until you expand it further
    > and see what percentage of the population is in the dense areas compared to the
    > other areas. NZ is way down there at the bottom when compared to other countries

    Our sparsely-populated areas are really, really empty, but our main urban
    areas are actually quite crowded.
    The main urban areas, as at the 2001 Census, had a PD of 5..28/sqkm. That
    is top-20 material. Obviously that isn't the whole country, but it was
    2.8m people.

    Matthew Poole, Mar 17, 2006
  16. On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:19:02 +1300, someone purporting to be Matthew Poole
    didst scrawl:

    *SNIP*
    > The main urban areas, as at the 2001 Census, had a PD of 5..28/sqkm. That

    *SNIP*

    err, that'd be 522.8/sqkm.

    Matthew Poole, Mar 17, 2006
  17. waituke

    Philip Guest

    Deck wrote:
    > "waituke" <> wrote in message
    >> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
    >>
    >> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
    >>
    >> Waituke

    > i'm not getting it, why a lot of people are saying its a rip-off.
    > with the old plan i never go beyond 10Gb a month, the most
    > I did was 8G, so I'm paying less than $50. with the new cap
    > of 4G and $10 per 5Gb for excess, I''ll still be paying $50 at most.
    > If I upgrade to the new 3Mbps plan, its still $50 as long as i don't use
    > more than 10Gb in a month in total. how am I getting ripped-off here?
    > can someone explain pls ?

    As ever, by Nanny Telecom's restrictions on how much you can download,
    by Nanny Telecom's restrictions on how much and how fast you can upload,
    and by Nanny Telecom's outdated, unwanted and unnecessary data caps.

    Plus prices that are higher than you'd pay in many other places for a
    much better service.

    Philip

    Philip, Mar 17, 2006
  18. waituke

    RJ Guest

    In article <4419f568$>,
    says...
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > > "waituke" <> wrote in message
    > >> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
    > >>
    > >> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
    > >>
    > >> Waituke

    > > hey, nz is a low population density country, and, we have a big sea
    > > cable to pay for - what'ya expect?

    > Last I heard it was paid for a while ago already. That should give you some
    > idea of the profit margins they're running at.

    Bulldust, then once they have paid off the capital cost there is the
    maintenanece and ongoing operating costs etc

    RJ, Mar 17, 2006
  19. waituke

    RJ Guest

    In article <441a01ee$>, says...
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > > "waituke" <> wrote in message
    > >> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
    > >>
    > >> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
    > >>
    > >> Waituke

    > > hey, nz is a low population density country, and, we have a big sea cable to
    > > pay for - what'ya expect?
    > >

    > Are you saying that Telecom didn't know the population density when they
    > bought in? Whatever happened to due diligence?
    >
    > And by the way, care to remind us who owns 50% of Southern Cross cable?
    >
    > Here's a clue: T*l*c*m NZ.

    SO who owns the rest

    RJ, Mar 17, 2006
  20. waituke

    RJ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:56:11 +1300, someone purporting to be
    > news.xtra.co.nz didst scrawl:
    >

    > > "waituke" <> wrote in message

    > *SNIP*
    > >
    > > hey, nz is a low population density country,

    > So, pray tell, how come Finland (with a population density roughly equal
    > to ours) is at number seven on the last OECD broadband rankings?

    Theyre not an Island miles from anywhree

    RJ, Mar 17, 2006