    changes in pricing, especially given I'll be locked in for 12 months if
    I want to avoid the connection $99 fee.

    Alan
    Alan Macdougall, Mar 15, 2006

  2. Alan  Macdougall

    Chris Hope Guest

    Alan Macdougall wrote:

    > I've been patiently waiting to see what Orcon would come up with after
    > their agreement with Telecom.
    >
    > It's not very good.
    >
    > <http://orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/newplans>
    >
    > I'm currently on their flatrate 256 plan. Under the new, improved
    > regime, instead of paying $49.95 per month, I'll be paying $109.95 for
    > the exact same service instead.
    >
    > Now that's progress.
    >
    > I'm thinking of switching to ihug where I can get faster speeds at
    > some tradeoff (I have to take tolls plus a data cap... but then I've
    > never made it past the particular amount ihug will provide), but now
    > wondering if they are just as likely to make such sudden and large
    > changes in pricing, especially given I'll be locked in for 12 months
    > if I want to avoid the connection $99 fee.

    Hmmm, they're now charging $10 per additional 5GB of data, whereas
    currently it's $10 per 10GB. Those plans all look more expensive than
    what they currently offer - so much for Telecom's claim that prices are
    coming down...

    The thing that pisses me off the most with these new plans (and
    Telecom's ones are the same) is that to get the decent upload speeds
    you have to pay *heaps* more. I'm happy enough with 2mbps at the moment
    but 128k upstream is just useless.

    Chris Hope, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Alan  Macdougall

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > Alan Macdougall wrote:
    >
    > > I've been patiently waiting to see what Orcon would come up with after
    > > their agreement with Telecom.
    > >
    > > It's not very good.
    > >
    > > <http://orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/newplans>
    > >
    > > I'm currently on their flatrate 256 plan. Under the new, improved
    > > regime, instead of paying $49.95 per month, I'll be paying $109.95 for
    > > the exact same service instead.
    > >
    > > Now that's progress.
    > >
    > > I'm thinking of switching to ihug where I can get faster speeds at
    > > some tradeoff (I have to take tolls plus a data cap... but then I've
    > > never made it past the particular amount ihug will provide), but now
    > > wondering if they are just as likely to make such sudden and large
    > > changes in pricing, especially given I'll be locked in for 12 months
    > > if I want to avoid the connection $99 fee.

    > Hmmm, they're now charging $10 per additional 5GB of data, whereas
    > currently it's $10 per 10GB. Those plans all look more expensive than
    > what they currently offer - so much for Telecom's claim that prices are
    > coming down...
    >
    > The thing that pisses me off the most with these new plans (and
    > Telecom's ones are the same) is that to get the decent upload speeds
    > you have to pay *heaps* more. I'm happy enough with 2mbps at the moment
    > but 128k upstream is just useless.

    I have to agree that this is crap. I moved to Orcon UBS to get
    unlimited ADSL with their special offer pricing. Now they are forcing
    me onto a more expensive plan or I have to take out tolls with them
    which are more expensive than my existing calls with Telecom.

    If I do want an equivalent unlimited plan they have doubled the price.
    Ouch.

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, Mar 15, 2006
  4. On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:56:41 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

    > I'm happy enough with 2mbps at the moment
    > but 128k upstream is just useless.

    128k DSL is not "broadband".

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 15, 2006
  5. Alan  Macdougall

    Chris Hope Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >> Alan Macdougall wrote:
    >>
    >> > I've been patiently waiting to see what Orcon would come up with
    >> > after their agreement with Telecom.
    >> >
    >> > It's not very good.
    >> >
    >> > <http://orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/newplans>
    >> >
    >> > I'm currently on their flatrate 256 plan. Under the new, improved
    >> > regime, instead of paying $49.95 per month, I'll be paying $109.95
    >> > for the exact same service instead.
    >> >
    >> > Now that's progress.
    >> >
    >> > I'm thinking of switching to ihug where I can get faster speeds at
    >> > some tradeoff (I have to take tolls plus a data cap... but then
    >> > I've never made it past the particular amount ihug will provide),
    >> > but now wondering if they are just as likely to make such sudden
    >> > and large changes in pricing, especially given I'll be locked in
    >> > for 12 months if I want to avoid the connection $99 fee.

    >> Hmmm, they're now charging $10 per additional 5GB of data, whereas
    >> currently it's $10 per 10GB. Those plans all look more expensive than
    >> what they currently offer - so much for Telecom's claim that prices
    >> are coming down...
    >>
    >> The thing that pisses me off the most with these new plans (and
    >> Telecom's ones are the same) is that to get the decent upload speeds
    >> you have to pay *heaps* more. I'm happy enough with 2mbps at the
    >> moment but 128k upstream is just useless.

    > I have to agree that this is crap. I moved to Orcon UBS to get
    > unlimited ADSL with their special offer pricing. Now they are forcing
    > me onto a more expensive plan or I have to take out tolls with them
    > which are more expensive than my existing calls with Telecom.
    >
    > If I do want an equivalent unlimited plan they have doubled the price.
    > Ouch.

    What I think should be able to happen is if you decide you don't like
    the new plans you shouldn't be forced into continuing with whatever
    term you have left on your contract with them.

    For example, having just moved house I had to re-sign for 12 months
    which started last month. I should now be able to choose another
    provider if I so choose and not be penalised by Orcon for quitting my
    contract early, because they've changed the goalposts. (Having said
    that I'm unlikely to change provider at the present time).

    Chris Hope, Mar 15, 2006
  6. Alan  Macdougall

    Chris Hope Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:56:41 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> I'm happy enough with 2mbps at the moment
    >> but 128k upstream is just useless.

    > 128k DSL is not "broadband".

    I'm not going to argue with you whether it is or not, but did you see me
    metion anywhere in my post that it *is* broadband?

    Chris Hope, Mar 15, 2006
  7. T'was the Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:05:42 +1300 when I remembered Chris Hope
    <> saying something like this:

    >For example, having just moved house I had to re-sign for 12 months
    >which started last month. I should now be able to choose another
    >provider if I so choose and not be penalised by Orcon for quitting my
    >contract early, because they've changed the goalposts. (Having said
    >that I'm unlikely to change provider at the present time).

    I think I'm going to change. Pretty much they've halved data
    allowances while keeping prices the same. I'm sure there will be some
    penalties incurred with changing, but so be it.

    Now it's time for the regular trawl of the same old ISPs offering the
    same old service.

    I don't hold this against the ISPs, well, not all of it. I blame
    Telecom.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Mar 15, 2006
  8. Alan  Macdougall

    Chris Hope Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:05:42 +1300 when I remembered Chris Hope
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>For example, having just moved house I had to re-sign for 12 months
    >>which started last month. I should now be able to choose another
    >>provider if I so choose and not be penalised by Orcon for quitting my
    >>contract early, because they've changed the goalposts. (Having said
    >>that I'm unlikely to change provider at the present time).

    > I think I'm going to change. Pretty much they've halved data
    > allowances while keeping prices the same. I'm sure there will be some
    > penalties incurred with changing, but so be it.

    Actually I suppose depending what the penalies are it may still be more
    cost effective to move, depending on what data plan you want. However
    it does seem unfair to me that if they change the plans you should be
    obliged to stay with them simply because you have X months remaining on
    your contract. I should check with them before assuming they will
    penalise.

    > Now it's time for the regular trawl of the same old ISPs offering the
    > same old service.
    >
    > I don't hold this against the ISPs, well, not all of it. I blame
    > Telecom.

    Yep, mostly Telecom's fault.

    Chris Hope, Mar 15, 2006
  9. On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:06:49 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

    >>> I'm happy enough with 2mbps at the moment
    >>> but 128k upstream is just useless.

    >> 128k DSL is not "broadband".

    > I'm not going to argue with you whether it is or not, but did you see me
    > metion anywhere in my post that it *is* broadband?

    No - not at all. I didn't suggest that you said it was. I was commenting
    on the speed.

    The technology in use may be a "broadband" technology, but the speed is
    only about four times the upload speed of a 33k6 modem - and that is not
    by any reasonable definition a broadband speed.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 15, 2006
  10. Alan Macdougall wrote:
    > I've been patiently waiting to see what Orcon would come up with after
    > their agreement with Telecom.
    >
    > It's not very good.
    >
    > <http://orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/newplans>
    >
    > I'm currently on their flatrate 256 plan. Under the new, improved
    > regime, instead of paying $49.95 per month, I'll be paying $109.95 for
    > the exact same service instead.
    >
    > Now that's progress.
    >
    > I'm thinking of switching to ihug where I can get faster speeds at some
    > tradeoff (I have to take tolls plus a data cap... but then I've never
    > made it past the particular amount ihug will provide), but now
    > wondering if they are just as likely to make such sudden and large
    > changes in pricing, especially given I'll be locked in for 12 months if
    > I want to avoid the connection $99 fee.

    I've already requested my Orcon account be closed. I have been thinking
    about changing for months, and this really was the last straw. The
    additional $10 takes the price up to the same as ISPs that offer a
    static IP for an additional $10 per month.

    I'm not a high-volume user, I would have been fine on a lower priced
    plan with per-10GB additional charges. The problem was, Orcon only had a
    1GB limit before this kicked in. Now I can select another ISP with a
    higher limit on their entry-level plans, and pay $10 for a static IP,
    and still come out no worse than I do now.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Mar 15, 2006
  11. Alan  Macdougall

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:32:08 +1300, The Other Guy <>
    exclaimed:

    >Alan Macdougall wrote:
    >> I've been patiently waiting to see what Orcon would come up with after
    >> their agreement with Telecom.
    >>
    >> It's not very good.
    >>
    >> <http://orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/newplans>
    >>
    >> I'm currently on their flatrate 256 plan. Under the new, improved
    >> regime, instead of paying $49.95 per month, I'll be paying $109.95 for
    >> the exact same service instead.
    >>
    >> Now that's progress.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking of switching to ihug where I can get faster speeds at some
    >> tradeoff (I have to take tolls plus a data cap... but then I've never
    >> made it past the particular amount ihug will provide), but now
    >> wondering if they are just as likely to make such sudden and large
    >> changes in pricing, especially given I'll be locked in for 12 months if
    >> I want to avoid the connection $99 fee.

    >I've already requested my Orcon account be closed. I have been thinking
    >about changing for months, and this really was the last straw. The
    >additional $10 takes the price up to the same as ISPs that offer a
    >static IP for an additional $10 per month.
    >
    >I'm not a high-volume user, I would have been fine on a lower priced
    >plan with per-10GB additional charges. The problem was, Orcon only had a
    >1GB limit before this kicked in. Now I can select another ISP with a
    >higher limit on their entry-level plans, and pay $10 for a static IP,
    >and still come out no worse than I do now.

    Ihug also have free static IPs on their residential plans.
    Fred Dagg, Mar 15, 2006
  12. Fred Dagg wrote:
    > Ihug also have free static IPs on their residential plans.

    That is good news. They were one of the worst offenders, charging $20
    per static IP when I last investigated my options.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Mar 15, 2006
  13. Ditto - it's the last straw for me, too.

    For the same price as I pay now on Orcon, on Another Unnamed ISP I can

    1) get free dialup, just in case (which I will use away from home
    regularly)
    2) get eight times the speed (nice)
    3) no caps or traffic measurement on uploads (torrents away!)

    in exchange for
    1) a 40Gb cap (I've not gone over 12Gb before on my unlimited plan, so
    hopefully this won't be a problem)
    2) taking tolls from the new ISP (cheaper than now through Another
    Telco)

    Orcon's new changes simply make my switch a more urgent matter than it
    was. Also, for now I prefer Another Unnamed ISP's attempts at
    independence rather than Orcon's craven cave-in to Telecom. It may not
    last, but some backbone is preferable.

    Alan
    Alan Macdougall, Mar 15, 2006
  14. Alan  Macdougall

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:35:43 +1300, The Other Guy <>
    exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    > > Ihug also have free static IPs on their residential plans.

    >That is good news. They were one of the worst offenders, charging $20
    >per static IP when I last investigated my options.

    I personally don't understand any of them charging for a static IP.
    Sure, in the dialup days when things were pooled, but ADSL is an
    always-on type connection - surely it's actually more difficult to
    manage a dynamic IP setup than a static one?

    I guess it's a case of them charging because they can, not because
    they should.
    Fred Dagg, Mar 15, 2006
  15. Alan  Macdougall

    Alan Guest

    "Alan Macdougall" <> wrote in message
    > Ditto - it's the last straw for me, too.
    >
    > For the same price as I pay now on Orcon, on Another Unnamed ISP I
    > can
    >
    > 1) get free dialup, just in case (which I will use away from home
    > regularly)
    > 2) get eight times the speed (nice)
    > 3) no caps or traffic measurement on uploads (torrents away!)
    >
    > in exchange for
    > 1) a 40Gb cap (I've not gone over 12Gb before on my unlimited plan,
    > so
    > hopefully this won't be a problem)
    > 2) taking tolls from the new ISP (cheaper than now through Another
    > Telco)
    >
    > Orcon's new changes simply make my switch a more urgent matter than
    > it
    > was. Also, for now I prefer Another Unnamed ISP's attempts at
    > independence rather than Orcon's craven cave-in to Telecom. It may
    > not
    > last, but some backbone is preferable.
    >
    > Alan

    Hi,

    Why won't you name the ISP?

    Sounds like a good deal, so let the world know?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Mar 15, 2006
  16. Alan wrote:

    > Why won't you name the ISP?
    >
    > Sounds like a good deal, so let the world know?

    No good reason, apart from not wanting to sound too much like a shill
    for them.

    Alan
    Alan Macdougall, Mar 15, 2006
  17. Alan  Macdougall

    Shane Guest

    Alan Macdougall wrote:

    > Alan wrote:
    >
    >> Why won't you name the ISP?
    >>
    >> Sounds like a good deal, so let the world know?

    > No good reason, apart from not wanting to sound too much like a shill
    > for them.
    >
    > Alan

    aww go on.. ifn you lurve them you can hug them :)
    Shane, Mar 15, 2006
  18. Alan  Macdougall

    Andrew Guest

    Alan Macdougall wrote:
    > I've been patiently waiting to see what Orcon would come up with after
    > their agreement with Telecom.
    >
    > It's not very good.
    >
    > <http://orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/newplans>
    >
    > I'm currently on their flatrate 256 plan. Under the new, improved
    > regime, instead of paying $49.95 per month, I'll be paying $109.95 for
    > the exact same service instead.
    >
    > Now that's progress.
    >
    > I'm thinking of switching to ihug where I can get faster speeds at some
    > tradeoff (I have to take tolls plus a data cap... but then I've never
    > made it past the particular amount ihug will provide), but now
    > wondering if they are just as likely to make such sudden and large
    > changes in pricing, especially given I'll be locked in for 12 months if
    > I want to avoid the connection $99 fee.
    >
    > Alan

    They do say though on the existing customers page about the changes:
    http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/newplans/existingcustomers/

    One thing that you can be sure won't change is the great level of
    service that you receive from the team at Orcon.
    Andrew, Mar 15, 2006
  19. Alan  Macdougall

    SchoolTech Guest

    Alan Macdougall wrote:
    > I've been patiently waiting to see what Orcon would come up with after
    > their agreement with Telecom.
    >
    > It's not very good.
    >
    > <http://orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/newplans>
    >
    > I'm currently on their flatrate 256 plan. Under the new, improved
    > regime, instead of paying $49.95 per month, I'll be paying $109.95 for
    > the exact same service instead.
    >
    > Now that's progress.
    >
    > I'm thinking of switching to ihug where I can get faster speeds at some
    > tradeoff (I have to take tolls plus a data cap... but then I've never
    > made it past the particular amount ihug will provide), but now
    > wondering if they are just as likely to make such sudden and large
    > changes in pricing, especially given I'll be locked in for 12 months if
    > I want to avoid the connection $99 fee.
    >
    > Alan

    Crosslinked to this article:

    http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/521EAD83FE6DFDD5CC2571170075289F
    SchoolTech, Mar 15, 2006
  20. Alan  Macdougall

    joe_90 Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > Crosslinked to this article:
    >
    > http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/521EAD83FE6DFDD5CC2571170075289F

    So how does this (from the above link) -

    "Initially, Telecom wanted ISPs to sign away their rights to approach
    the Commerce Commission for a regulated solution before they would be
    given a formal wholesale offer.
    However, Chris Dyhrberg, head of wholesale marketing at Telecom, says
    the the telco reassessed its position on the proposal and withdrew the
    requirement as it would have been unfair to ISP customers, given the
    early announcement of the retail plans. Telecom has now sent out a
    formal offer on the new UBS to providers."

    stack up with this?

    "The Commerce Commission has warned Telecom against trying to stop
    internet service providers from seeking better broadband services
    through regulation.

    In a letter to Telecom dated March 10 and released yesterday,
    Telecommunications Commissioner Douglas Webb said he was concerned
    Telecom was overstepping the mark during wholesale negotiations with ISPs.

    He wrote: "Telecom may be encouraging ISPs to agree to a commercial
    bitstream offering on the condition that those ISPs agree that they will
    not apply to the commission for a variant bitstream service."
    "
    (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10372702 )

    Looks like the usual Telecom positive spin put on an unsuccessful
    attempt to dictate terms to the market.
    joe_90, Mar 15, 2006