    to upgrade or go for a whole new system?

    Can you increase memory alone or is that not good enough unless you increase
    MHz and hard drive?

    stitcher, Feb 27, 2004

  2. stitcher

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:46:45 GMT, "stitcher" <>
    scribbled:

    >What factors are the most important to consider when deciding whether or not
    >to upgrade or go for a whole new system?
    >
    >Can you increase memory alone or is that not good enough unless you increase
    >MHz and hard drive?

    1 - What do you use the current machine for.
    2 - What DOESN'T the current machine do that you wish it would.
    3 - How old is the current machine.
    4 - What is your budget.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Feb 27, 2004

  3. stitcher

    br1ght Guest

    In most cases it is not worth upgrading since the price
    of a new mobo, CPU and related items often is 2/3's of
    the price of a new tower. You still are using an old,
    likely significantly slower, HD, maybe a video
    card/sound etc. Your old machine certainly wont have
    the fastest memory and it likely won't work in your new
    mobo... If you upgrade the HD too, you likely are at
    nearly the price of new...

    With that said, memory can make a marginal improvement.
    If you have >128 megs, upgrading to 512 meg or1 gig can
    eliminate caching to the HD helping increase speed. It
    really does depend on your applications... if you use
    graphic intensive progs or spreadsheets, generally buy
    new... if you chiefly are surfing the web, the speed
    difference between a P2 and most off the shelf towers
    is negligible...

    BTW if you want to speed up your system and don't
    require XP, 2K or NT, using 98SE as your OS can
    significantly help in most cases...

    --
    br1ght
    _____________________________
    :

    br1ght, Feb 27, 2004
  4. stitcher

    Dan Shea Guest

    wrote:

    >What factors are the most important to consider when deciding whether or not
    >to upgrade or go for a whole new system?
    >
    >Can you increase memory alone or is that not good enough unless you increase
    >MHz and hard drive?

    I concur with what the other posters have said. Regarding memory: You
    can certainly increase memory alone (unless you're already maxed out
    your motherboard). You do not need to upgrade anything else, you can
    just add memory. Depending on how much you currently have and how
    much you add, you will likely notice a substantial improvement. It's
    the best, easiest, cheapest, most-bang-for-your-buck-iest thing you
    can do for a computer.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 27, 2004