    We have a Canon P&S too.

    Thanks,
    Jerry

    Jerry Smith, Mar 2, 2012

  2. Jerry Smith

    nospam Guest

    In article <jirjcr$vga$>, Jerry Smith
    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My wife wants to get a new camera and because I have a couple Olympus
    > lenses, I want to know if the old lenses can be used on the new camera.
    > She's looking at the e-600 (Good price) and the new EM-5 (I like just
    > because of the look - but it might be too much $).
    >
    > The old lenses I have aren't worth all that much, but are pretty good.
    > (a 50mm f/1.8 that I used a lot before I got the 35-105 that stayed on
    > my camera permanently afterward).
    >
    > So can I mix old and new? I know the image won't scale the same, it
    > will be like having a double the mm lens. But will metering work?

    don't waste your time. although it can work with the appropriate
    adapter, it's not worth the hassle. you won't have autofocus
    (obviously) and you'll have to manually set the aperture and use
    stopdown metering.

    the effective focal lengths will be double, which may or may not be
    what you want. if you like wide angle shots, it's clearly a drawback,
    but if you like telephoto it's a plus.

    nospam, Mar 2, 2012

  3. Jerry Smith

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 2, 5:59 pm, Jerry Smith <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My wife wants to get a new camera and because I have a couple Olympus
    > lenses, I want to know if the old lenses can be used on the new camera.
    >   She's looking at the e-600 (Good price) and the new EM-5 (I like just
    > because of the look - but it might be too much $).
    >
    > The old lenses I have aren't worth all that much, but are pretty good.
    > (a 50mm f/1.8 that I used a lot before I got the 35-105 that stayed on
    > my camera permanently afterward).
    >
    > So can I mix old and new?  I know the image won't scale the same, it
    > will be like having a double the mm lens.  But will metering work?
    >
    > We have a Canon P&S too.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jerry

    You can buy adapters on Ebay from $10 to $300 depending the brand to
    fit old lenses. Some of the old lenses work very well, and you can
    adapt just about any lens you can imagine to the EM-5 and a lot of
    lenses to the E-600. I would wait and get the EM-5. Its sensor is at
    least 4 years ahead of the old 4/3rds bodies. I bought an E-330 the
    other day for $150.00, but that's as much as I'd pay for one of the
    older 4/3rds bodies. Mostly because their optical viewfinders (except
    for the E-1, E-30, E-3 and E-5) are dismal.
    Using the old lenses is fun, and you can get a 50mm f1.8 for $25.00
    whereas a new equivalent will run hundreds of $'s. Even if the
    results don't match (wide open) the new lenses, for the money, they
    are worth experimenting with.

    RichA, Mar 3, 2012
  4. Jerry Smith

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >You can buy adapters on Ebay from $10 to $300 depending the brand to
    >fit old lenses. Some of the old lenses work very well

    And some of them do not.

    Bruce, Mar 3, 2012
  5. Jerry Smith

    Jerry Smith Guest

    On 2012.03.02 18:10, nospam wrote:
    > In article<jirjcr$vga$>, Jerry Smith
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My wife wants to get a new camera and because I have a couple Olympus
    >> lenses, I want to know if the old lenses can be used on the new camera.
    >> She's looking at the e-600 (Good price) and the new EM-5 (I like just
    >> because of the look - but it might be too much $).
    >>
    >> The old lenses I have aren't worth all that much, but are pretty good.
    >> (a 50mm f/1.8 that I used a lot before I got the 35-105 that stayed on
    >> my camera permanently afterward).
    >>
    >> So can I mix old and new? I know the image won't scale the same, it
    >> will be like having a double the mm lens. But will metering work?

    > don't waste your time. although it can work with the appropriate
    > adapter, it's not worth the hassle. you won't have autofocus
    > (obviously) and you'll have to manually set the aperture and use
    > stopdown metering.
    >
    > the effective focal lengths will be double, which may or may not be
    > what you want. if you like wide angle shots, it's clearly a drawback,
    > but if you like telephoto it's a plus.

    Looking over the Olympus options, we don't want an adapter, we're going
    to look at other cameras. There's no sense in sticking to Olympus if my
    lenses aren't usable. So we're starting to look at Canon and Nikon.
    There's a lot of info on the DPReview site. Too much maybe!

    We're going to Euope this summer for 3 weeks. Need a good camera, but
    not too heavy or bulky. I'd like to make it under $1500.

    Thanks!

    Jerry Smith, Mar 3, 2012
  6. "Jerry Smith" <> wrote in message
    []
    > We're going to Euope this summer for 3 weeks. Need a good camera, but
    > not too heavy or bulky. I'd like to make it under $1500.
    >
    > Thanks!

    My current carry-round outfit is a Nikon D5000 (current would be D5100)
    with an 18-200 mm zoom. Not /that/ heavy or bulky, but possibly slightly
    over your $1500 (I don't know US prices). Versatile, good in low light
    conditions, and has a swivel LCD.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5100/
    http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/nikon_18-200_3p5-5p6_vr_afs_n15/

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 3, 2012
  7. Jerry Smith

    nospam Guest

    In article <jitit6$4gl$>, Jerry Smith
    <> wrote:

    > Looking over the Olympus options, we don't want an adapter, we're going
    > to look at other cameras. There's no sense in sticking to Olympus if my
    > lenses aren't usable. So we're starting to look at Canon and Nikon.
    > There's a lot of info on the DPReview site. Too much maybe!

    adapters are indeed a pain and nikon & canon are much better choices
    for slrs.

    > We're going to Euope this summer for 3 weeks. Need a good camera, but
    > not too heavy or bulky. I'd like to make it under $1500.

    you can do quite well for half that. look at the nikon d3100 and d5100
    as well as the entry level canons.

    also, consider some of the mirrorless systems, like sony's nex. they're
    much smaller and a *lot* easier to travel with.

    nospam, Mar 3, 2012
  8. Jerry Smith

    alan1browne Guest

    On 2012.03.03 14:06, nospam wrote:
    > In article<jitit6$4gl$>, Jerry Smith
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Looking over the Olympus options, we don't want an adapter, we're going
    >> to look at other cameras. There's no sense in sticking to Olympus if my
    >> lenses aren't usable. So we're starting to look at Canon and Nikon.
    >> There's a lot of info on the DPReview site. Too much maybe!

    > adapters are indeed a pain and nikon& canon are much better choices
    > for slrs.
    >
    >> We're going to Euope this summer for 3 weeks. Need a good camera, but
    >> not too heavy or bulky. I'd like to make it under $1500.

    > you can do quite well for half that. look at the nikon d3100 and d5100
    > as well as the entry level canons.
    >
    > also, consider some of the mirrorless systems, like sony's nex. they're
    > much smaller and a *lot* easier to travel with.

    Looks odd though! The 18-200 lens is very expensive and there's nothing
    "below" that we want. There's a Nikon with the same zoom range and it's
    a couple hundred cheaper from what I see on dpreview.

    alan1browne, Mar 5, 2012