New noise reduction software, currently free

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RobbH, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. RobbH

    RobbH Guest

    There's been some discussion of a new standalone noise reduction program
    for Windows in the forums at DPR and Steve's. The author has participated
    in some discussion at DPR:

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1006&message=11333033

    The name is Picturecooler. It is currently free, but requires a
    registration code, which the author provides by email. It appears to be in
    an early stage of develpment. The interface is a bit clunky and save
    options are limited to .bmp and .jpg, among other things. However, there
    are some reports of impressive results. My take on it is that it's more
    versatile than some other free noise removal tools I've seen, but somewhat
    less effective than Neat Image.

    A sample and download link can be found here:

    http://members.chello.nl/r.kroonenberg2/

    r.

    RobbH, Dec 10, 2004

  2. RobbH

    Guest

    OK, I'll bite - I tried it out; so far no significant issues. Doesn't
    support anything other than uncompressed TIFF, and JPEG; it prefers
    TIFF. I think it works as well as Neat Image for my uses. It's got a
    primitive interface, but it's usable. A bit hard to learn the file
    functions. It crashed on me after doing a "batch" of one file, but has
    otherwise been stable. I scanned the installer with Grisoft AVG, it
    reported no suspicious files; I scanned my computer with Ad-Aware and
    AVG after installation and they reported no viruses, trojans, worms or
    adware (FWIW, anyways).

    A crop of my test is here: (default settings)
    Before:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v496/ecmcdougall/?action=view&current=Cropped_before.jpg
    After:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v496/ecmcdougall/?action=view&current=Cropped_after.jpg

    Note specifically the white wall, the yellow counter, and the child's
    cheek.

    Not bad.
    ECM

    , Dec 10, 2004

  3. David J Taylor, Dec 10, 2004
  4. RobbH

    Guest

    > wrote:

    >> A crop of my test is here: (default settings)
    >> Before:

    >>http://photobucket.com/albums/v496/ecmcdougall/?action=view¤t=C...
    >>After:

    >> http://photobucket.com/albums/v496/ecmcdougall/?action=view¤t=C...
    >> Note specifically the white wall, the yellow counter, and the

    child's
    >> cheek.

    >> Not bad.
    >> ECM

    >Look at the loss of detail on the green mat. Not good.

    >David

    You're right; there's loss of detail in the mat. Two points:

    1. The loss of detail may be due to over-aggressive JPEG compression on
    my part.

    2. Loss of detail is inherent in any noise reduction technique, though.
    Here's the same general area done with Neat Image demo version at it's
    defaults:

    http://photobucket.com/albums/v496/ecmcdougall/?action=view&current=IM003871_crop_NI.jpg

    The mat is a little bit more detailed, but the noise reduction isn't as
    good - there's still a lot of noise in the white wall. At maximum noise
    removal ("remove all noise") the image has pretty much the same loss of
    detail with Neat Image as with Picturecooler:

    http://photobucket.com/albums/v496/ecmcdougall/?action=view&current=IM003871_crop_MaxNI.jpg

    I do think that the change in the image is DIFFERENT between the two
    programs, but that's to be expected - which you prefer will be a matter
    of your tastes. So, my conclusion is - I got what I paid for....;-)
    ECM

    , Dec 10, 2004
  5. RobbH

    Guest

  6. wrote:
    []
    > I do think that the change in the image is DIFFERENT between the two
    > programs, but that's to be expected - which you prefer will be a
    > matter of your tastes. So, my conclusion is - I got what I paid
    > for....;-)
    > ECM

    Well, I'm not saying that just because it's free it's no good - far from
    it. It's great to have another tool in our anti-noise kit, and probably
    time for the comparative reviews of these tools to be updated to include
    Picturecool and Paint Shop Pro 9. Unless they all use the same algorithm,
    the individual tools will possibly be better suited to particular jobs,
    and a matter of taste as well.

    Thanks for posting the new results.

    Cheers,
    David