    Windows firewall up and running on all the computers, it also has Avast anti
    virus running. Could it be that someone has brought a WiFi enabled laptop
    into my vicinity or is it something more sinister?

    hhhh, Apr 29, 2007

  2. hhhh

    meerkat Guest

    "hhhh" <c@b> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I had a look at my Network places and a new node has appeared. I have a LAN
    > with 3 other computers on it but this one has appeared out of the blue.
    > It's
    > called "Steves" and when clicked on leads to a " Jimmyspleasure" drive,
    > when
    > I click on that it goes to "Downloads", "My Music" and "Printers". When I
    > open up the "Music", there's a load of Music Albums in there. So I moved a
    > couple over!! In my network places rather than saying "Local network" it
    > says "Internet connection". It's obviously of some concern. My system has
    > Windows firewall up and running on all the computers, it also has Avast
    > anti
    > virus running. Could it be that someone has brought a WiFi enabled laptop
    > into my vicinity or is it something more sinister?

    Get the music while you can <g>.

    meerkat, Apr 29, 2007

  3. hhhh

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "hhhh" <c@b> wrote in message
    >I had a look at my Network places and a new node has appeared. I have a LAN
    > with 3 other computers on it but this one has appeared out of the blue.
    > It's
    > called "Steves" and when clicked on leads to a " Jimmyspleasure" drive,
    > when
    > I click on that it goes to "Downloads", "My Music" and "Printers". When I
    > open up the "Music", there's a load of Music Albums in there. So I moved a
    > couple over!! In my network places rather than saying "Local network" it
    > says "Internet connection". It's obviously of some concern. My system has
    > Windows firewall up and running on all the computers, it also has Avast
    > anti
    > virus running. Could it be that someone has brought a WiFi enabled laptop
    > into my vicinity or is it something more sinister?

    If you have wireless and it's not protected, the machines are sharing
    resources, then sure a machine can be hacked. What XP O/S(s) do you have
    Home or Pro?

    You got a wireless network using a router? Have you done anything to secure
    the wireless?

    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm

    The advise is not bullet proof but it's better than nothing.

    To help prevent as much as possible the Windows O/S from being compromised
    in this situation, you have to *harden* the O/S to attack.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    If using the Windows FW, then you need to configure the Windows FW to only
    to allow specified LAN IP(s) that can access the machines. That would be the
    three IP(s) that your machines have in use, blocking all other LAN IP(s) on
    your router from accessing the machines, which a hacker could use one of the
    other LAN IP(s) to access your machines.

    Mr. Arnold, Apr 29, 2007
  4. hhhh

    Leythos Guest

    On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:33:08 +0000, meerkat wrote:

    > "hhhh" <c@b> wrote in message
    >>I had a look at my Network places and a new node has appeared. I have a LAN
    >> with 3 other computers on it but this one has appeared out of the blue.
    >> It's
    >> called "Steves" and when clicked on leads to a " Jimmyspleasure" drive,
    >> when
    >> I click on that it goes to "Downloads", "My Music" and "Printers". When I
    >> open up the "Music", there's a load of Music Albums in there. So I moved a
    >> couple over!! In my network places rather than saying "Local network" it
    >> says "Internet connection". It's obviously of some concern. My system has
    >> Windows firewall up and running on all the computers, it also has Avast
    >> anti
    >> virus running. Could it be that someone has brought a WiFi enabled laptop
    >> into my vicinity or is it something more sinister?
    >>

    > Get the music while you can <g>.

    LOL - He's got a wireless network router on his home network and he didn't
    lock it down so his neighbor is using his wireless and his neighbor is too
    stupid to have locked down his computer :)

    *** WARNING - this links contains foul/pornographic content of an
    website ***
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/leythos.htm
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/bughunter.htm

    Leythos, Apr 29, 2007