New nntp/POP3 client recommendations.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Crash, Jun 2, 2007.

  1. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Greetings,

    Some time ago I moved on to Mozilla Thunderbird (Tbird) from Outlook
    Express and I find it very irritating that messages that are
    cross-posted are marked only as read in the ng they are read in. With
    OE, a message read first in any ng never appeared in other cross posted ngs.

    I would go back to OE - but there is no way I can find to migrate my
    inbox or addressbook.

    Do there are the following must-haves:

    - An ability to import Tbird (1.5) addressbook and inbox data.
    - Provide POP3 (Email) and NNTP client.
    - nntp client marks a messages read in all cross-posted ngs when read
    for the first time in any ng.

    Free preferred but others considered.

    TIA,
    Crash.

    Crash, Jun 2, 2007

  2. Crash

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:05:33 +1200, in message <46610a62$>,
    Crash wrote:

    > Some time ago I moved on to Mozilla Thunderbird (Tbird) from Outlook
    > Express

    > I would go back to OE - but there is no way I can find to migrate my
    > inbox or addressbook.

    Address book

    In Thunderbird, you can export the address book to a Comma Separated (.CSV) file.
    From the Address book window, Tools -> Export

    In OE, you can import the address book from a Comma Separated (.CSV) file.

    Inbox

    Thunderbird stores its inbox in the standard MBOX format, which many other
    email programs can read. OE (sadly) is the odd one out, and unlike other
    email programs won't read MBOX format files.

    You might prefer to use a commercial converter program, of which there are
    several. For example, take a look at http://www.aid4mail.com/

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Jun 2, 2007

  3. In message <46610a62$>, Crash wrote:

    > - Provide POP3 (Email) and NNTP client.

    Any reason why you must have both in one?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 2, 2007
  4. Crash

    k Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Some time ago I moved on to Mozilla Thunderbird (Tbird) from Outlook
    > Express and I find it very irritating that messages that are
    > cross-posted are marked only as read in the ng they are read in. With
    > OE, a message read first in any ng never appeared in other cross posted
    > ngs.
    >
    > I would go back to OE - but there is no way I can find to migrate my
    > inbox or addressbook.
    >
    > Do there are the following must-haves:
    >
    > - An ability to import Tbird (1.5) addressbook and inbox data.
    > - Provide POP3 (Email) and NNTP client.
    > - nntp client marks a messages read in all cross-posted ngs when read
    > for the first time in any ng.
    >
    > Free preferred but others considered.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Crash.

    Since you're only using ThunderBird 1.5, why not try 2.0?

    It's much better in my opinion :)

    k, Jun 2, 2007
  5. On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:05:33 +1200, Crash wrote:

    > I would go back to OE - but there is no way I can find to migrate my inbox
    > or addressbook.

    Why must the one application work as both a POP client and an NNTP client?

    Have you tried using Agent as your NNTP client?

    On the MS Windows platform Agent is a very highly respected NNTP client.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    bath and a short dress to get into."

    Jonathan Walker, Jun 3, 2007
  6. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <46610a62$>, Crash wrote:
    >

    >> - Provide POP3 (Email) and NNTP client.
    >>

    > Any reason why you must have both in one?

    Just personal preference - I simply don't want to use two separate apps.

    Crash.

    Crash, Jun 3, 2007
  7. Crash

    Crash Guest

    k wrote:
    > Crash wrote:
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> Some time ago I moved on to Mozilla Thunderbird (Tbird) from Outlook
    >> Express and I find it very irritating that messages that are
    >> cross-posted are marked only as read in the ng they are read in.
    >> With OE, a message read first in any ng never appeared in other cross
    >> posted ngs.
    >>
    >> I would go back to OE - but there is no way I can find to migrate my
    >> inbox or addressbook.
    >>
    >> Do there are the following must-haves:
    >>
    >> - An ability to import Tbird (1.5) addressbook and inbox data.
    >> - Provide POP3 (Email) and NNTP client.
    >> - nntp client marks a messages read in all cross-posted ngs when read
    >> for the first time in any ng.
    >>
    >> Free preferred but others considered.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Crash.

    > Since you're only using ThunderBird 1.5, why not try 2.0?
    >
    > It's much better in my opinion :)

    2.0 does not have the 3rd option above. It is worth noting that in
    mozilla.support.thunderbird this issue is raised regularly. I am
    looking at other options specifically because 2.0 does not have this
    feature.

    Crash.

    Crash, Jun 3, 2007
  8. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:05:33 +1200, Crash wrote:
    >

    >> I would go back to OE - but there is no way I can find to migrate my inbox
    >> or addressbook.
    >>

    > Why must the one application work as both a POP client and an NNTP client?
    >
    > Have you tried using Agent as your NNTP client?
    >
    > On the MS Windows platform Agent is a very highly respected NNTP client.

    In an earlier reply I indicated that I prefer a single app for both -
    but if the only nntp clients that properly mark cross-posted messages as
    read in all ngs when read first (other than OE) are nntp-only then I
    would consider using different apps for POP3 and nntp.

    Given that Agent is nntp only - what POP3 client do you use (just curious)?

    Crash.

    Crash, Jun 3, 2007
  9. Crash

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Jonathan Walker <> wrote:

    >Why must the one application work as both a POP client and an NNTP client?

    I use YARN (Yet Another Read News). It has the tightest integration of news
    and mail that I have found. Being text mode (VIO) only, it's very fast too.
    I use VSOUP to do the actual reception/transmission, but there are others.
    It's not to everyone's tastes, but if you value your time and want a program
    that will work as fast as you do, you could check it out.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Jun 3, 2007
  10. On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:58:49 +1200, Crash wrote:

    > In an earlier reply I indicated that I prefer a single app for both - but
    > if the only nntp clients that properly mark cross-posted messages as read
    > in all ngs when read first (other than OE) are nntp-only then I would
    > consider using different apps for POP3 and nntp.
    >
    > Given that Agent is nntp only - what POP3 client do you use (just
    > curious)?

    I use Pan as my NNTP client, and Evolution as my POP client.

    AFAIK neither are available on the Windows platform, but they are commonly
    used applications on the Linux platform.

    The last time I used a single application for both email AND for
    newsgroups was way back when Netscape 4 was in common use.

    Jonathan Walker, Jun 3, 2007
  11. Crash

    Chris Hope Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:58:49 +1200, Crash wrote:
    >
    >> In an earlier reply I indicated that I prefer a single app for both -
    >> but if the only nntp clients that properly mark cross-posted messages
    >> as read in all ngs when read first (other than OE) are nntp-only then
    >> I would consider using different apps for POP3 and nntp.
    >>
    >> Given that Agent is nntp only - what POP3 client do you use (just
    >> curious)?

    > I use Pan as my NNTP client, and Evolution as my POP client.
    >
    > AFAIK neither are available on the Windows platform, but they are
    > commonly used applications on the Linux platform.
    >
    > The last time I used a single application for both email AND for
    > newsgroups was way back when Netscape 4 was in common use.

    Looks like someone has ported Evolution to Windows. It says it doesn't
    yet work on Vista but does on XP:

    http://shellter.sourceforge.net/evolution/

    And according to the Pan website you can run Pan on Windows too:

    http://pan.rebelbase.com/

    I don't use either of them myself. I use Kontact/Kmail and Knode on KDE.

    Chris Hope, Jun 3, 2007
  12. On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 14:39:03 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

    > I don't use either of them myself. I use Kontact/Kmail and Knode on KDE.

    Generally I prefer KDE as my desktop, but I like Evolution and Pan for
    email and NGs.

    Jonathan Walker, Jun 3, 2007
  13. Crash

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:58:49 +1200, in message <466213fe$>,
    Crash wrote:

    > Given that Agent is nntp only - what POP3 client do you use (just curious)?

    I use Agent for both POP3 email and NNTP news.

    BTW -- Agent can mark crossposted messages read in other newsgroups
    at the time of downloading, but not at the time of reading.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Jun 3, 2007
  14. Crash

    Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:58:49 +1200, Crash <> wrote:

    >Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:05:33 +1200, Crash wrote:
    >>

    >>> I would go back to OE - but there is no way I can find to migrate my inbox
    >>> or addressbook.
    >>>

    >> Why must the one application work as both a POP client and an NNTP client?
    >>
    >> Have you tried using Agent as your NNTP client?
    >>
    >> On the MS Windows platform Agent is a very highly respected NNTP client.
    >>

    >In an earlier reply I indicated that I prefer a single app for both -
    >but if the only nntp clients that properly mark cross-posted messages as
    >read in all ngs when read first (other than OE) are nntp-only then I
    >would consider using different apps for POP3 and nntp.
    >
    >Given that Agent is nntp only - what POP3 client do you use (just curious)?
    >
    >Crash.

    Agent has POP3 as well.

    , Jun 3, 2007
  15. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:58:49 +1200, in message <466213fe$>,
    > Crash wrote:
    >

    >> Given that Agent is nntp only - what POP3 client do you use (just curious)?
    >>

    > I use Agent for both POP3 email and NNTP news.
    >

    > BTW -- Agent can mark crossposted messages read in other newsgroups
    > at the time of downloading, but not at the time of reading.

    OK - I stand corrected. I will look at Agent...

    Crash.

    Crash, Jun 3, 2007
  16. Crash

    Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:50:27 +1200, Crash <> wrote:

    >Ralph Fox wrote:
    >> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:58:49 +1200, in message <466213fe$>,
    >> Crash wrote:
    >>

    >>> Given that Agent is nntp only - what POP3 client do you use (just curious)?
    >>>

    >> I use Agent for both POP3 email and NNTP news.
    >>

    >> BTW -- Agent can mark crossposted messages read in other newsgroups
    >> at the time of downloading, but not at the time of reading.
    >>

    >OK - I stand corrected. I will look at Agent...
    >
    >Crash.

    Yes but you have to buy it, no demo versions..

    , Jun 3, 2007
  17. Crash

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 22:46:24 +1200, in message <>,
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:50:27 +1200, Crash <> wrote:
    >
    > >I will look at Agent...
    > >
    > >Crash.

    > Yes but you have to buy it, no demo versions..

    Correction

    There is a 1 month free demo, and it does POP3 and NNTP.

    Version 3.3 has a 'lite' free demo version with no expiry, but it does not do POP3.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Jun 3, 2007
  18. Crash

    Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:28:32 +0000, Ralph Fox <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 22:46:24 +1200, in message <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:50:27 +1200, Crash <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I will look at Agent...
    >> >
    >> >Crash.

    >> Yes but you have to buy it, no demo versions..

    >Correction
    >
    > There is a 1 month free demo, and it does POP3 and NNTP.
    >
    > Version 3.3 has a 'lite' free demo version with no expiry, but it does not do POP3.

    I have been using Agent from day one, and had a play with version 4, I just can't get used to it at
    all.

    4 has lots of great features, also their is a News Group for Agent.

    , Jun 4, 2007
  19. Crash

    ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:28:32 +0000, Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 22:46:24 +1200, in message
    > > <>,
    > > wrote:

    > > > Yes but you have to buy it, no demo versions..

    > > Correction
    > >
    > > There is a 1 month free demo, and it does POP3 and NNTP.
    > >
    > > Version 3.3 has a 'lite' free demo version with no expiry, but it
    > > does not do POP3.

    > I have been using Agent from day one, and had a play with version 4,
    > I just can't get used to it at all.
    >
    > 4 has lots of great features, also their is a News Group for Agent.

    Not hard to spot a nym-shifting Woger troll is it?

    Who do you think you are fooling Woger?

    Rhetorical, as you are now back in my killfile, along with around 40 other
    versions of you.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 4, 2007
  20. Crash

    Guest

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 15:28:43 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >> > Correction
    >> >
    >> > There is a 1 month free demo, and it does POP3 and NNTP.
    >> >
    >> > Version 3.3 has a 'lite' free demo version with no expiry, but it
    >> > does not do POP3.

    >> I have been using Agent from day one, and had a play with version 4,
    >> I just can't get used to it at all.
    >>
    >> 4 has lots of great features, also their is a News Group for Agent.

    >Not hard to spot a nym-shifting Woger troll is it?
    >
    >Who do you think you are fooling Woger?
    >
    >Rhetorical, as you are now back in my killfile, along with around 40 other
    >versions of you.
    >--
    >Shaun.

    Yes I know you are a Very Sick person..