    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Grand Inquisitor

    Jay G Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote...
    > I had read that Ninja Scroll was originally 4:3 so I bought the
    > original, 4:3 DVD, but now that the new 2-disc version has a WS version
    > on it, I'm not sure if I should upgrade or not. If the version I have
    > now is Pan and Scan I will definitely upgrade. And are the extras worth

    it?

    The WS version of the film is cropped from the original 4:3 image,
    so it's not preferable at all. However, the 4:3 version is available
    on the new DVD as well. So really, your decision relies on whether
    the extras and improved sound are worth rebuying.

    Here's a review:
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7623

    -Jay
    Jay G, Oct 13, 2003

  3. Grand Inquisitor

    Wade365 Guest

    << really, your decision relies on whether
    the extras and improved sound are worth rebuying.

    When I read the back of the package the extras didn't exactly wow me... I was
    only intereted in it from the WS aspect - why would you ever want to further
    crop a 4:3 picture?
    Wade365, Oct 13, 2003
  4. Grand Inquisitor

    Jay G Guest

    "Wade365" <> wrote ...
    > << really, your decision relies on whether
    > the extras and improved sound are worth rebuying.
    > >>

    > When I read the back of the package the extras didn't exactly wow me... I

    was
    > only intereted in it from the WS aspect - why would you ever want to

    further
    > crop a 4:3 picture?

    Why, to fill your WS TV of course. You didn't think the switch over
    to HDTV would get rid of the "I want my TV filled" people, did you?

    -Jay
    Jay G, Oct 13, 2003
  5. Grand Inquisitor

    Wade365 Guest

    << why would you ever want to
    further
    > crop a 4:3 picture?

    Why, to fill your WS TV of course. You didn't think the switch over
    to HDTV would get rid of the "I want my TV filled" people, did you?

    I'm assuming this is tongue-in-cheek. It's like saying that everything before
    Cinerama should be re-cropped.

    "Why don't we remove the edges of the Mona Lisa, no one looks at the sides
    anyway... just leave the broad."

    I hope this isn't a trend... older films getting re-cropped for WS TVs... heh
    heh... disturbing.
    Wade365, Oct 13, 2003
  6. Grand Inquisitor

    Jay G Guest

    "Wade365" <> wrote ...
    > << why would you ever want to further crop a 4:3 picture?
    >
    > Why, to fill your WS TV of course. You didn't think the switch over
    > to HDTV would get rid of the "I want my TV filled" people, did you?
    >
    > I'm assuming this is tongue-in-cheek. It's like saying that everything

    before
    > Cinerama should be re-cropped.

    That has actually happened. When WS theatres first appeared,
    films composed for 4:3 were sometimes cropped to a wider
    ratio to fill the screen.

    > "Why don't we remove the edges of the Mona Lisa, no one looks at the sides
    > anyway... just leave the broad."

    " That way it'll fit better into this frame."

    > I hope this isn't a trend... older films getting re-cropped for WS TVs...

    heh
    > heh... disturbing.

    The TV miniseries "IT" is only available in a cropped WS image on DVD.
    The movie "Evil Dead," which has existed for decades on home video
    in a director's approved 4:3 open-matte ratio was recently cropped
    for a WS Special Edition DVD.

    And it won't just be 4:3 films. "The Recruit" was recently released on
    DVD in a 1.78 :1 ratio despite being shown in 2.35:1 in theatres.
    "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy is having all of it's digital effects
    rendered at a 1.78:1 ratio, presumably for future "open-matte"
    HDTV showings.

    Luckily, there seems to be enough demand for OAR by both
    consumers and creators that the option for the correct ratio
    will continue to exist, at least for most films.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Oct 14, 2003