New Nikon's horrible noise reduction. Killing detail is the aim

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Sep 26, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Sep 26, 2011

  2. "RichA" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Ugg. I wonder if Nikon has forebade the reviewers from showing RAW
    > output?
    >
    > This is up against Panasonic's 3 year old M4/3rd sensor which has last
    > seen service in the GF3.

    Not an SLR system. Follow-ups set.

    David J Taylor, Sep 26, 2011

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: New Nikon's horrible noise reduction. Killing detail is the aim

    On Sep 26, 11:57 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
    > wrote:
    > "RichA" <> wrote in message

    > > Ugg.  I wonder if Nikon has forebade the reviewers from showing RAW
    > > output?

    > > This is up against Panasonic's 3 year old M4/3rd sensor which has last
    > > seen service in the GF3.

    > Not an SLR system.  Follow-ups set.

    Not a valid response to the subject of the text.

    RichA, Sep 26, 2011
  4. Re: New Nikon's horrible noise reduction. Killing detail is the aim

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    []
    > Not a valid response to the subject of the text.

    What did you expect from a small sensor like that?

    David J Taylor, Sep 26, 2011
  5. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    Re: New Nikon's horrible noise reduction. Killing detail is the aim

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:41:19 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    : "David J Taylor" <> wrote in
    : news:j5qkcf$5t6$:
    :
    : > "RichA" <> wrote in message
    : > news:53efce8e-c49a-4e3b-963e-8636300c9265
    : @w15g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
    : > []
    : >> Not a valid response to the subject of the text.
    : >
    : > What did you expect from a small sensor like that?
    : >
    : >
    :
    : We've heard and see how great Nikon sensors (Sony-made) have been in
    : APS and FF. I held out hope they could maintain it even in a small
    : size. Also, I noticed when Dpreview discussed them, they carefully
    : left-out the old 2/3" sensor size because the Nikon is so close and
    : that used to be considered a better-sized P&S sensor, but not a
    : potential replacement for a DSLR sensor.

    You seem wedded to the proposition that Nikon sees their new line as a DSLR
    replacement rather than an upscale P&S. Yet the evidence that Nikon holds that
    view is tenuous at best. So why does it make sense to keep denouncing the line
    as an inadequate DSLR replacement? Maybe it's overpriced as a high-end P&S; if
    so, the market will sort that out. But it's performance, not price, that would
    make it a competitor of the DSLR.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 2, 2011
  6. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:41:19 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >: "David J Taylor" <> wrote in
    >: news:j5qkcf$5t6$:
    >:
    >: > "RichA" <> wrote in message
    >: > news:53efce8e-c49a-4e3b-963e-8636300c9265
    >: @w15g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
    >: > []
    >: >> Not a valid response to the subject of the text.
    >: >
    >: > What did you expect from a small sensor like that?
    >: >
    >: >
    >:
    >: We've heard and see how great Nikon sensors (Sony-made) have been in
    >: APS and FF. I held out hope they could maintain it even in a small
    >: size. Also, I noticed when Dpreview discussed them, they carefully
    >: left-out the old 2/3" sensor size because the Nikon is so close and
    >: that used to be considered a better-sized P&S sensor, but not a
    >: potential replacement for a DSLR sensor.
    >
    >You seem wedded to the proposition that Nikon sees their new line as a DSLR
    >replacement rather than an upscale P&S. Yet the evidence that Nikon holds that
    >view is tenuous at best.

    The evidence is conclusive, and it proves the exact opposite. Nikon
    made it quite clear from the outset that the 1 System has been
    positioned so as not to compete with its DSLR line, and I think Nikon
    has succeeded in that.

    "Upscale P&S" doesn't quite describe it either, but I can see what you
    are getting at. The market positioning of the 1 System is quite
    clever, in that it is a significant improvement over most P&S but not
    as good as an entry-level DSLR. It is positioned above P&S but below
    Micro Four Thirds, and far below the Sony NEX and Samsung CSCs that
    offer image quality that is comparable with DSLRs.

    >So why does it make sense to keep denouncing the line
    >as an inadequate DSLR replacement?

    It makes no sense at all. It's just Rich getting muddled.

    >Maybe it's overpriced as a high-end P&S; if
    >so, the market will sort that out. But it's performance, not price, that would
    >make it a competitor of the DSLR.

    The 1 System in a single paragraph. An impressive summary, Robert.

    Bruce, Oct 2, 2011