New Nikon D40

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wayne J. Cosshall, Nov 16, 2006.

  1. Wayne J. Cosshall, Nov 16, 2006

  2. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Pete D Guest

    "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote in message
    news:455c2045$0$3073$...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
    > <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Wayne
    > --
    > Wayne J. Cosshall
    > Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    > Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/

    Olympus thought there would be no market in the US for a very compact D-SLR,
    what makes Nikon think there will be?

    Pete D, Nov 16, 2006

  3. Pete D wrote:
    > "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
    >> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Wayne
    >> --
    >> Wayne J. Cosshall
    >> Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    >> Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/

    > Olympus thought there would be no market in the US for a very compact D-SLR,
    > what makes Nikon think there will be?

    From the article:

    '“Our customers constantly tell us that their memories just look better
    with Nikon’s digital SLR cameras. The image quality is always
    spectacular, displaying bright and vivid colors. A Nikon digital SLR
    captures the action shots and special moments perfectly because of its
    superb responsiveness. But they also tell us they wished digital SLR
    cameras were smaller, lighter and easier to use,” said Edward Fasano,
    general manager for marketing, SLR System Products at Nikon Inc.'

    So there you are. Nikon's customers are contantly telling them. Unless,
    of course, that's marketing drivel and the customers aren't constantly
    telling them that. In which case they're hoping to find a niche...

    Derek Fountain, Nov 16, 2006
  4. No, Olympus couldn't guarantee to supply enough for more than one global
    region before Christmas, so Europe got lucky.

    The E-400 is still smaller and lighter than the Nikon D40.

    Here's my take on the D40:

    http://dpnow.com/3197.html

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Nov 16, 2006
  5. Derek Fountain wrote:
    > Pete D wrote:
    >> "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
    >>> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Wayne
    >>> --
    >>> Wayne J. Cosshall
    >>> Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    >>> Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/

    >> Olympus thought there would be no market in the US for a very compact
    >> D-SLR, what makes Nikon think there will be?

    > From the article:
    >
    > '“Our customers constantly tell us that their memories just look better
    > with Nikon’s digital SLR cameras. The image quality is always
    > spectacular, displaying bright and vivid colors. A Nikon digital SLR
    > captures the action shots and special moments perfectly because of its
    > superb responsiveness. But they also tell us they wished digital SLR
    > cameras were smaller, lighter and easier to use,” said Edward Fasano,
    > general manager for marketing, SLR System Products at Nikon Inc.'
    >
    > So there you are. Nikon's customers are contantly telling them. Unless,
    > of course, that's marketing drivel and the customers aren't constantly
    > telling them that. In which case they're hoping to find a niche...

    Ah. I think the key marketing direction lies in the first sentence
    quoted. This Mr. Fasano is selling 'memories', not cameras.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 16, 2006
  6. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Bill Crocker Guest

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
    > <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Wayne
    > --
    > Wayne J. Cosshall
    > Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    > Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/

    Don't get too excited. Only works with "G" lenses.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Nov 16, 2006
  7. Wayne J. Cosshall

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bill Crocker
    <> wrote:

    > Don't get too excited. Only works with "G" lenses.

    wrong.

    the only lens limitation with the d40 is that autofocus requires af-s
    lenses. some af-s lenses are 'g' and others aren't. anything else
    will be manual focus.

    nospam, Nov 16, 2006
  8. Wayne J. Cosshall

    RichA Guest

    Digital Photography Now wrote:
    > No, Olympus couldn't guarantee to supply enough for more than one global
    > region before Christmas, so Europe got lucky.

    I was told they only had 2000 available, for whatever reason. I was
    also told that they would produce no more. Three more DSLRs are
    supposedly coming.

    RichA, Nov 16, 2006
  9. Wayne J. Cosshall

    just bob Guest

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
    > <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>

    Is it me or are Nikon's cheap cameras getting dumber while the cheap Canon
    cameras are getting smarter?

    just bob, Nov 16, 2006
  10. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems just bob <kilbyfan@aoldotcom> wrote:

    > "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
    >> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
    >>

    > Is it me or are Nikon's cheap cameras getting dumber while the cheap Canon
    > cameras are getting smarter?

    Hmm Nikon's cameras have always been feature rich per dollar spent as compared
    to Canons. The D40 won't change that [considering the price].

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Nov 16, 2006
  11. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Bill Guest

    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote in message

    >>> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
    >>> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>

    >> Is it me or are Nikon's cheap cameras getting dumber while the
    >> cheap Canon
    >> cameras are getting smarter?

    > Hmm Nikon's cameras have always been feature rich per dollar spent
    > as compared
    > to Canons. The D40 won't change that [considering the price].

    I think that's the key point, price. The estimated price means the
    price/performance ratio will be very good for consumers.

    All of the new Canon Rebel cameras have been introduced at $1000 with
    an 18-55 lense, but now you can buy a new Nikon with more than enough
    features for entry level SLR users for about $600 with an 18-55 lense.
    That might put a dent in the Canon XT/XTi sales for Christmas, even
    with the price drops on the XT and XTi models.

    Bill, Nov 16, 2006
  12. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Pete D Guest

    > Hmm Nikon's cameras have always been feature rich per dollar spent as
    > compared
    > to Canons. The D40 won't change that [considering the price].

    <snip>

    Mmmm, but not compared to the Pentaxes and Minoltas, which proves Nikon
    correct that small and simple will win a market share.

    Pete D, Nov 16, 2006
  13. In rec.photo.digital Bill <> wrote:
    > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote in message

    >>> Is it me or are Nikon's cheap cameras getting dumber while the
    >>> cheap Canon
    >>> cameras are getting smarter?

    >> Hmm Nikon's cameras have always been feature rich per dollar spent
    >> as compared
    >> to Canons. The D40 won't change that [considering the price].

    > I think that's the key point, price. The estimated price means the
    > price/performance ratio will be very good for consumers.

    Nothing wrong with that. It is not like Nikon is taking options away from the
    more advanced users. Dollar per dollar, Nikon competes very well against
    Canon and Canon has left the sub $600 niche wide open in the SLR market.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Nov 16, 2006
  14. In rec.photo.digital Pete D <> wrote:

    >> Hmm Nikon's cameras have always been feature rich per dollar spent as
    >> compared
    >> to Canons. The D40 won't change that [considering the price].

    > <snip>
    >
    > Mmmm, but not compared to the Pentaxes and Minoltas, which proves Nikon
    > correct that small and simple will win a market share.

    It will fill a niche in the SLR market. It will get a lot of those old film
    SLR hold outs that really just point and shoot in program modes [like my
    sister-in-law ... nice composition, but no technical ability].

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Nov 16, 2006
  15. Pete D wrote:
    > "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
    >> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Wayne
    >> --
    >> Wayne J. Cosshall
    >> Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    >> Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/

    > Olympus thought there would be no market in the US for a very compact D-SLR,
    > what makes Nikon think there will be?

    Personally I think there is a huge market for very compact dSLRs. There
    are a lot of SLR owners who are really just point and shooters who if
    they decide to upgrade will want something both cheap and not too big.

    Choice is great.

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    --
    Wayne J. Cosshall

    Wayne J. Cosshall, Nov 16, 2006
  16. Wayne J. Cosshall

    kosh Guest

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    > In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems just bob <kilbyfan@aoldotcom> wrote:
    >
    >>"Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi All,
    >>>
    >>>Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
    >>><http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
    >>>

    >>Is it me or are Nikon's cheap cameras getting dumber while the cheap Canon
    >>cameras are getting smarter?
    >>

    > Hmm Nikon's cameras have always been feature rich per dollar spent as compared
    > to Canons. The D40 won't change that [considering the price].

    hmm, i'm not so sure.... remember the F-50.... or even better, the
    F-401.... hell, you didn't even have manual on the FG!

    kosh

    kosh, Nov 16, 2006
  17. Wayne J. Cosshall

    kosh Guest

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    > In rec.photo.digital Pete D <> wrote:
    >

    >>>Hmm Nikon's cameras have always been feature rich per dollar spent as
    >>>compared
    >>>to Canons. The D40 won't change that [considering the price].

    >><snip>
    >>
    >>Mmmm, but not compared to the Pentaxes and Minoltas, which proves Nikon
    >>correct that small and simple will win a market share.
    >>

    > It will fill a niche in the SLR market. It will get a lot of those old film
    > SLR hold outs that really just point and shoot in program modes [like my
    > sister-in-law ... nice composition, but no technical ability].

    there are many people who want more than a bridge camera... but don't
    want a full blown SLR

    kosh

    kosh, Nov 16, 2006
  18. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Rob Guest

    Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
    > <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Wayne

    Interesting shutter control.

    Rob, Nov 16, 2006
  19. On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:08:23 +1100, "Wayne J. Cosshall"
    <> wrote:

    >Personally I think there is a huge market for very compact dSLRs. There
    >are a lot of SLR owners who are really just point and shooters who if
    >they decide to upgrade will want something both cheap and not too big.

    I think the size of the D40 -- and the fact that Nikon is emphasizing
    that size in its announcement -- portends a trend that might be
    extended to their higher-end digital cameras. For me, the "gold
    standard" for SLR compactness is the Nikon FM series. Why can't a
    digital with the features of the D200 (especially the ability to meter
    with AIS lenses) be made in that size?

    Personally, what I want is an all-manual camera like the FM2, except
    with a digital sensor instead of film. Leave off the bells and
    whistles and make it small and simple.

    Alexander Arnakis, Nov 16, 2006
  20. Alexander Arnakis wrote:

    > Personally, what I want is an all-manual camera like the FM2, except
    > with a digital sensor instead of film. Leave off the bells and
    > whistles and make it small and simple.

    There's absolutely no reason Nikon can't make a 22 MP digital back for my
    FE.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 16, 2006