New Network Detected

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MahaRaj, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. MahaRaj

    MahaRaj Guest

    Hi
    When I turned my computer on this morning and connected the cable modem (yes
    I do close CM every night).
    as usual my Zone alarm has detected new network with an IP. But this morning
    I noticed that the IP address looked different than usual i.e. 82.1.99.179.
    I have checked the IP on this website
    http://www.checkdomain.com/cgi-bin/checkdomain.pl?domain=82.1.99.179
    and it shows some address in Amsterdam.
    I was expecting NTL in UK.
    Is it normal for the CM to be connected somewhere in Amsterdam?
    I really don't know what to thinks.
    Any help to clarify this matter please.

    Thanks

    winXP sp1
    zonealarm pro 5.1.001.00
    Ntl broadband

    Maha

    also posted to ntl.support.broadband.cm.

    MahaRaj, Sep 23, 2004

  2. MahaRaj

    root Guest

    I did a tracert on 82.1.99.179.. it's an NTL address connected to the Stoke
    exchange - if you live around that area, it's probably your own IP address
    and is nothing to worry about.

    NTL IP addresses are dynamic and can change - especially as you say you
    unplug your modem at night. I'm guessing your IP address has just updated
    and caused zonealarm to alert because it's a new address.

    root, Sep 23, 2004

  3. MahaRaj

    MahaRaj Guest

    thanks root.
    where you find these information.
    I used this address http://www.dnsstuff.com/ but no specific info like you
    found.
    Thanks
    Maha

    MahaRaj, Sep 23, 2004
  4. MahaRaj

    Yddap Guest

    In news:VNA4d.267$,
    MahaRaj <> opined:
    > Hi
    > When I turned my computer on this morning and connected the cable
    > modem (yes I do close CM every night).
    > as usual my Zone alarm has detected new network with an IP. But this
    > morning I noticed that the IP address looked different than usual
    > i.e. 82.1.99.179. I have checked the IP on this website
    > http://www.checkdomain.com/cgi-bin/checkdomain.pl?domain=82.1.99.179
    > and it shows some address in Amsterdam.
    > I was expecting NTL in UK.
    > Is it normal for the CM to be connected somewhere in Amsterdam?
    > I really don't know what to thinks.
    > Any help to clarify this matter please.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > winXP sp1
    > zonealarm pro 5.1.001.00
    > Ntl broadband
    >
    > Maha
    >

    > also posted to ntl.support.broadband.cm.

    you have just got a new NTL IP number see Sam Spade output below

    Since NTL IPs are not fixed if you turn off the modem you can easily lose
    your current IP
    To help to keep your IP do not swich off the Modem at night
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply

    09/23/04 15:15:06 whois

    whois -h whois.ripe.net 82.1.99.179 ...
    % This is the RIPE Whois secondary server.
    % The objects are in RPSL format.
    %
    % Rights restricted by copyright.
    % See http://www.ripe.net/db/copyright.html

    inetnum: 82.1.96.0 - 82.1.111.255
    netname: NTL
    descr: NTL Infrastructure - Baguley
    country: GB
    admin-c: NNMC1-RIPE
    tech-c: NNMC1-RIPE
    status: ASSIGNED PA
    mnt-by: AS5089-MNT
    remarks: INFRA-AW
    changed: 20030922
    source: RIPE

    route: 82.0.0.0/11
    descr: NTL-UK-IP-BLOCK
    origin: AS5089
    mnt-by: AS5089-MNT
    changed: 20030228
    source: RIPE

    role: NTLI Network Management Centre
    address: NTL Internet
    address: Crawley Court
    address: Winchester
    address: Hampshire
    address: SO21 2QA
    trouble: -------------------------------------------------------
    trouble: For abuse notifications please -
    trouble: file an online case @ http://www.ntlworld.com/netreport
    trouble: +44 2920 305142
    trouble: -------------------------------------------------------
    trouble: For peering issues/requests please -
    trouble: email :
    trouble: -------------------------------------------------------
    admin-c: MH22007-RIPE
    admin-c: CF2297-RIPE
    admin-c: CM1377-RIPE
    tech-c: MH22007-RIPE
    tech-c: CF2297-RIPE
    tech-c: CM1377-RIPE
    nic-hdl: NNMC1-RIPE
    mnt-by: AS5089-MNT
    notify:
    e-mail:
    changed: 20020815
    changed: 20020913
    changed: 20030328
    changed: 20030401
    changed: 20030603
    changed: 20030707
    changed: 20040303
    changed: 20040312
    source: RIPE

    Yddap, Sep 23, 2004
  5. MahaRaj

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:08:53 GMT, MahaRaj wrote:

    >Hi
    >When I turned my computer on this morning and connected the cable modem (yes
    >I do close CM every night).
    >as usual my Zone alarm has detected new network with an IP. But this morning
    >I noticed that the IP address looked different than usual i.e. 82.1.99.179.
    >I have checked the IP on this website
    >http://www.checkdomain.com/cgi-bin/checkdomain.pl?domain=82.1.99.179
    >and it shows some address in Amsterdam.

    That's showing the,

    OrgName: RIPE Network Coordination Centre
    OrgID: RIPE
    Address: Singel 258
    Address: 1016 AB
    City: Amsterdam

    near the bottom of the page read this bit,

    Comment: These addresses have been further assigned to users in
    Comment: the RIPE NCC region. Contact information can be found in
    Comment: the RIPE database at http://www.ripe.net/whois

    What does RIPE do
    http://www.ripe.net/ripencc/about/

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Sep 23, 2004
  6. MahaRaj

    Hamman Guest

    "MahaRaj" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > When I turned my computer on this morning and connected the cable modem
    > (yes
    > I do close CM every night).
    > as usual my Zone alarm has detected new network with an IP. But this
    > morning
    > I noticed that the IP address looked different than usual i.e.
    > 82.1.99.179.
    > I have checked the IP on this website
    > http://www.checkdomain.com/cgi-bin/checkdomain.pl?domain=82.1.99.179
    > and it shows some address in Amsterdam.

    RIPE (Regualtor for Internet Protocol in Europe) is based in amsterdam for
    some reason.

    Hamman

    Hamman, Sep 23, 2004
  7. MahaRaj

    Atreju Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:28:52 GMT, "MahaRaj" <>
    wrote:

    >thanks root.
    >where you find these information.

    SNIP

    Just a good site for all things IP:

    http://www.samspade.org

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Sep 23, 2004
  8. MahaRaj

    Dan Evans Guest

    "MahaRaj" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > When I turned my computer on this morning and connected the cable modem

    (yes
    > I do close CM every night).
    > as usual my Zone alarm has detected new network with an IP. But this

    morning
    > I noticed that the IP address looked different than usual i.e.

    82.1.99.179.
    > I have checked the IP on this website
    > http://www.checkdomain.com/cgi-bin/checkdomain.pl?domain=82.1.99.179
    > and it shows some address in Amsterdam.
    > I was expecting NTL in UK.
    > Is it normal for the CM to be connected somewhere in Amsterdam?
    > I really don't know what to thinks.
    > Any help to clarify this matter please.

    It depends on how up to date the records are on the site you're checking.
    Every now and again, I end up with a Wanadoo France (according to RIPE) IP
    address even though I'm in Spain.

    Nothing to worry about.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Sep 27, 2004
  9. MahaRaj

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Hamman" <> wrote in message

    > RIPE (Regualtor for Internet Protocol in Europe) is based in amsterdam for
    > some reason.

    "Réseaux IP Européens" (European Internet Protocol Networks) and its NCC
    (Network Control Centre) is in Amsterdam as it has to be somewhere, the fact
    that a yahoo **** off great transatlantic backbone makes landfall there (Ams
    IX http://www.ams-ix.net ) helps. Linx is larger, but last I looked into it,
    Ams IX had more capacity.

    In any case, if RIPE was in London, the French would still be honking about
    it now.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Sep 27, 2004