New MS Keyboard...again!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by wewa, Sep 21, 2005.

  1. wewa

    wewa Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. wewa

    PJB Guest

    The OEM version of XP Pro x64 is full of drivers that is not available with
    the trial version. I haven't had any problems with drivers for my printer,
    scanner, camera, wireless network. It's was all on the x64 CD except for
    firewall client to talk to a sbs server.

    Contact the manufacturers and let them know.

    --
    Peter Banks
    Wellington, NZ

    PJB, Sep 22, 2005

  3. wewa

    John Barnes Guest

    But Microsoft IS the manufacturer (brand) and they won't even bother
    providing support for their products on this system. Many here blame
    manufacturers for lack of support for x64, but, I personally give credit to
    those who do, when Microsoft refuses to lead by example. No support here.

    John Barnes, Sep 22, 2005
  4. David R. Norton MVP, Sep 22, 2005
  5. David R. Norton MVP, Sep 22, 2005
  6. "John Barnes" <> wrote in:

    > But Microsoft IS the manufacturer (brand) and they won't even bother
    > providing support for their products on this system. Many here blame
    > manufacturers for lack of support for x64, but, I personally give credit to
    > those who do, when Microsoft refuses to lead by example. No support here.

    Microsoft is NOT the manufacturer, AFAIK they don't make any hardware.
    They're waiting for software from whoever is contracted to build the stuff
    just like you are. I'm sure this is pretty embarrassing to them but all they
    can do is to keep pressure on the manufacturer just as we do.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Sep 22, 2005
  7. wewa

    John Barnes Guest

    Everyone knows that they do not physically manufacture the product, but
    either contract out the manufacture or brand (name). Maybe you should read
    Charlie's posts with regard to the software/driver support. Sure sounds
    like another Microsoft group to me, but Charlie can clarify if I
    misinterpreted his comments.

    John Barnes, Sep 22, 2005
  8. wewa

    DKI Guest

    I though Microsoft only did the drivers and intelliect point and intelliect
    mouse software only. but they do not make the hardware.

    DKI, Sep 22, 2005
  9. "DKI" <> wrote in:

    > I though Microsoft only did the drivers and intelliect point and intelliect
    > mouse software only. but they do not make the hardware.

    I believe the manufacturer provided the software.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Sep 22, 2005
  10. wewa

    Piers James Guest

    It doesn't matter whether MS actually builds the things or not, it is their
    name on the product, so it is them that should be given the grief. Both my
    keyboard and mouse say Microsoft, and I am severely p*ssed off that the only
    hardware for which I have NO driver support is the Microsoft hardware.
    Whoever is in charge of this should be shot, it is unforgiveable that MS did
    not ensure that there was *full* (and by this mean IntelliPoint/Type) driver
    support when x64 shipped.

    Rant over......

    SNIP

    Piers James, Sep 22, 2005
  11. "Piers James" <> wrote in:

    > It doesn't matter whether MS actually builds the things or not, it is
    > their name on the product, so it is them that should be given the grief.
    > Both my keyboard and mouse say Microsoft, and I am severely p*ssed off
    > that the only hardware for which I have NO driver support is the
    > Microsoft hardware. Whoever is in charge of this should be shot, it is
    > unforgiveable that MS did not ensure that there was *full* (and by this
    > mean IntelliPoint/Type) driver support when x64 shipped.
    >
    > Rant over......

    Blame whoever you want but it might help if you'd blame the responsible
    people... nah, that wouldn't allow you to rant against Microsoft, would
    it?

    I can't even run X64 (or vista 64). No mouse, printer, etc. etc. etc.
    support (and no, none of the unsupported items are Microsoft) nor do I
    feel like replacing items for which Canon, Logitech, etc. don't feel like
    making 64 bit drivers.

    What's even worse is every distro of Linux 64 that I've tried support
    all my devices that XP64 won't!

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Sep 22, 2005
  12. wewa

    Piers James Guest

    I'm not ranting *because* it's MS, I'm ranting because the OS manufacturer
    and the hardware manufacturer are one and the same. If Apple did the same
    thing I would still be unhappy.

    You say the I should blame the people responsible. I am, in this case
    Microsoft. It is irrelevant to me if there is a subcontractor involved. My
    relationship is with MS, not the subcontractor. That is fairly basic to
    understand and you should grasp that instead of assuming that everyone here
    is a MS basher!!!

    SNIP

    Piers James, Sep 22, 2005
  13. wewa

    Colin Nowell Guest

    FWIW Piers, I agree with you. To put it in its simplest form, "the name
    that's on the box is the name that gets the blame".

    There are MANY hardware manufacturers out there that are "badge engineered"
    in much the same way as cars (in that sub contractors actually supply the
    basic parts) but that doesn't mean you go and seek out the particular sub
    contractor that supplied/built the particular part of your car that went
    wrong. You approach the "badge" holder.

    That makes the blame for this particular case lying fairly and squarely at
    MS's door in my book.

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Sep 22, 2005
  14. wewa

    Piers James Guest

    precisely. Thank you Colin.

    Piers James, Sep 22, 2005
  15. "Piers James" <> wrote in:

    > You say the I should blame the people responsible. I am, in this case
    > Microsoft. It is irrelevant to me if there is a subcontractor involved. My
    > relationship is with MS, not the subcontractor. That is fairly basic to
    > understand and you should grasp that instead of assuming that everyone here
    > is a MS basher!!!

    I never assumed you were a Microsoft basher, I just figured you wanted to
    whine about something and Microsoft was handy.

    Blame whoever you want, it's not going to help get drivers.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Sep 22, 2005
  16. "Piers James" <> wrote in:

    > precisely. Thank you Colin.

    Good, now you have company in being wrong! ;-)

    Again, blame whoever you want, it won't help.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Sep 22, 2005
  17. David R. Norton MVP wrote:

    >"Piers James" <> wrote in:
    >
    >>precisely. Thank you Colin.

    >Good, now you have company in being wrong! ;-)

    I'm with Piers and Colin too.

    >Again, blame whoever you want, it won't help.

    Microsoft lay down the specification for the hardware, get to decide the
    form and the packaging, etc. I think they'd have some say in what OS's are
    supported. And lets face it, it shouldn't be beyond them to write the
    software for themselves if necessary (it _is_ their OS after all).

    And if MS want 3rd-party vendors to support x64, the best way is to lead
    by example, and make sure all their own branded hardware is fully supported.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Sep 23, 2005
  18. Northgate OmniKey when you can find them. I still have several, and am
    always looking for more. There's also an excellent clone of it, but way over
    priced.

    Even a broken Northgate keyboard is worth grabbing if you come across it.
    They're repairable.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 23, 2005
  19. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in:

    > Northgate OmniKey when you can find them. I still have several, and am
    > always looking for more. There's also an excellent clone of it, but way
    > over priced.
    >
    > Even a broken Northgate keyboard is worth grabbing if you come across
    > it. They're repairable.

    Thanks, found them here! (mine was originally made by Lexmark which sold
    their keyboard business to Pickyboard.com)

    http://store.yahoo.com/pckeyboards/index.html

    Here's the one I have,

    http://store.yahoo.com/pckeyboards/cus101usenon.html

    The price isn't too awful at $49.00.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Sep 23, 2005
  20. "David R. Norton MVP" <> wrote in:

    > their keyboard business to Pickyboard.com)

    That's gotta win prizes for the most creative spelling of Pckeyboard ever!

    David R. Norton MVP, Sep 23, 2005