New MS Icon in Tray??

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dave C., Oct 1, 2004.

  1. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    When I go on line, I now have an icon in my tray on the right side near the
    clock. (it's an MS flag on a small blue globe, typical of an internet icon.)
    When on line, it sits there downloading "Downloading Updates."

    I do not know how it got there and it continuously downloads for dozen on
    minuter (I have a dial up modem). Right clicking does nothing and somehow I
    should be able to deselect it from somewhere, but I don't know where to do
    it. I think it slows down the system while I am on line.

    Can anyone help me to get rid of this? I looked through msconfig, and
    Internet Options>Advanced but nothing pops up as to what to deselect or what
    to do.

    Thanks in advance.

    Dave C.

    9et

    Remove the five 9's (leave the 4) for email.

    Dave C., Oct 1, 2004

  2. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    Just to add to this, somehow the "Automatic Updates" was turned on. I
    turned it off, and the icon disappeared but the little download indicator in
    the tray is still on and things are downloading somewhere on my system.
    Clicking the "Stop" icon in the menu does not stop the downloading. Ran my
    updated McAfee and all came out clean.

    Any help to stop whatever is downloading would be appreciated.

    Dave C., Oct 1, 2004

  3. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    The download indicator (the little one in the tray next to the clock)
    continues to run non stop. When I click on STATUS, it shows stuff
    continuing to be downloaded.

    Doew anyone have any ideas?

    Dave C., Oct 2, 2004
  4. Dave C.

    Wizard Guest

    Try letting it finish. It is getting critical windoz updates and you
    need these. As an alternative just go to windoz updates and get them
    all.

    "Dave C." wrote:

    > The download indicator (the little one in the tray next to the clock)
    > continues to run non stop. When I click on STATUS, it shows stuff
    > continuing to be downloaded.
    >
    > Doew anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > Dave C.
    >
    > 9et
    >
    > Remove the five 9's (leave the 4) for email.
    >
    > "Dave C." <9et> wrote in message
    > > Just to add to this, somehow the "Automatic Updates" was turned on. I
    > > turned it off, and the icon disappeared but the little download indicator

    > in
    > > the tray is still on and things are downloading somewhere on my system.
    > > Clicking the "Stop" icon in the menu does not stop the downloading. Ran

    > my
    > > updated McAfee and all came out clean.
    > >
    > > Any help to stop whatever is downloading would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Dave C.
    > >
    > > 9et
    > >
    > > Remove the five 9's (leave the 4) for email.
    > >

    > > "Dave C." <9et> wrote in message
    > > > When I go on line, I now have an icon in my tray on the right side near

    > > the
    > > > clock. (it's an MS flag on a small blue globe, typical of an internet

    > > icon.)
    > > > When on line, it sits there downloading "Downloading Updates."
    > > >
    > > > I do not know how it got there and it continuously downloads for dozen

    > on
    > > > minuter (I have a dial up modem). Right clicking does nothing and

    > somehow
    > > > should be able to deselect it from somewhere, but I don't know where to

    > do
    > > > it. I think it slows down the system while I am on line.
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone help me to get rid of this? I looked through msconfig, and
    > > > Internet Options>Advanced but nothing pops up as to what to deselect or

    > > what
    > > > to do.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance.
    > > >
    > > > Dave C.
    > > >
    > > > 9et
    > > >
    > > > Remove the five 9's (leave the 4) for email.

    --
    "Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the
    statue."

    Wizard, Oct 2, 2004
    :

    --
    I'm out of sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

    Martin O'Brien, Oct 2, 2004
  6. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    Thanks Wizard. What I used to do recently was to select Windows Updates
    from the EI menu, then after searching and checking my system, I would be
    presented a list of update, and I always selected only the critical updates.

    Now, I think my settings have changed and my "download indicator" in the
    tool bar is on continuously. I have tried to disable the automatic updates
    by Control Panel>system> automatic updates tab and selecting the "turn off
    automatic updates" button.

    Also running msconfig,>services, I unchecked the "automatic updates " box.
    Restarted, etc. and download ing continues.

    I have a dial up and I hate to share resourses while I do other things. I
    have a fast system, so I do not think things are slowing down, I just want
    more control over updating when I want.

    What I really worry about is that something got into my system ot detected
    by my updated McAfee or Adware or Spybot and uncertain stuff is loading on
    my hard drive.\

    Can't figure it out.

    Dave C., Oct 4, 2004