    gone for good afterwards. Also, will having a new motherboard change
    anything that is on my computer now, ie: settings, installations or saved
    files and emails.
    pat, Mar 1, 2005

  2. pat

    James Guest

    "pat" <> wrote in message
    news:d01lf6$s3l$...
    >I have got an engineer coming tomorrow to replace my motherboard on my
    >computer (Windows XP, Packard Bell). Something to do with a duff battery
    >that should remember everything when my computer starts up. I have at the
    >moment got a trojan horse downloader virus, which I have had for ages and
    >keep deleting the file, but it comes back at exactly the same time every
    >day, after it's deleted, it's gone until the next day. Does anyone know if,
    >by replaceing the motherboard, there is any chance that my virus will be
    >gone for good afterwards. Also, will having a new motherboard change
    >anything that is on my computer now, ie: settings, installations or saved
    >files and emails.

    Certainly NOT! - Replace the motherboard battery to cure that problem with
    the motherboard not remembering settings (; - To remove spyware run Spybot -
    virus check the system with an up to date virus checker and allow it to
    delete or heal the virus. Replacing the motherboard will have no effect on a
    virus - the virus is most certainly on your hard drive - so the worst
    scenerio is to wipe your hard drive and to re-install XP - You will still
    have a virus on your hard drive, after a motherboard replacement the chances
    are you may have to re-install XP anyway -
    --
    James Jenkins
    www.tamarsolutions.co.uk
    James, Mar 1, 2005

  3. pat wrote:
    > I have got an engineer coming tomorrow to replace my motherboard on my
    > computer (Windows XP, Packard Bell). Something to do with a duff battery
    > that should remember everything when my computer starts up. I have at the
    > moment got a trojan horse downloader virus, which I have had for ages and
    > keep deleting the file, but it comes back at exactly the same time every
    > day, after it's deleted, it's gone until the next day. Does anyone know if,
    > by replaceing the motherboard, there is any chance that my virus will be
    > gone for good afterwards. Also, will having a new motherboard change
    > anything that is on my computer now, ie: settings, installations or saved
    > files and emails.

    You should not need to replace the motherboard if the BIOS battery is
    dead, you only need to replace the battery.
    They are very cheap, just a few of your local currency.
    Some are soldered into place, but normally they are more easily removable.
    Deal with the battery first, then come back to the thread and deal with
    the trojan.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 1, 2005
  4. pat

    Brian Guest

    "pat" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I have got an engineer coming tomorrow to replace my motherboard on my
    > computer (Windows XP, Packard Bell). Something to do with a duff battery
    > that should remember everything when my computer starts up.

    he may just be replacing the bios battery (default settings will be restored
    in your bios. i.e booting sequence)

    I have at the
    > moment got a trojan horse downloader virus, which I have had for ages and
    > keep deleting the file, but it comes back at exactly the same time every
    > day, after it's deleted, it's gone until the next day.

    get yourself adaware and other spyware removal tools:
    http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/#trojan
    http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/spywareremoval.shtml

    read the help files with those apps as in to turning off/on sys restore etc.
    update them, run them get at least two. and have em remove any pests

    Does anyone know if,
    > by replaceing the motherboard, there is any chance that my virus will be
    > gone for good afterwards.

    no. it won't. again read my other post for the list of free anti virus
    software.
    also as in my other post:
    http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/#email (scroll down a touch and you will
    find the list of free firewalls)

    Also, will having a new motherboard change
    > anything that is on my computer now, ie: settings, installations or saved
    > files and emails.

    you may require you to activate your OS again (if the MB does get replaced
    and not just the battery) but other than that probably no.(ask the tech guy
    *nicely* if he will do it for you should it be required)

    make sure the tech guy runs your pc up after doing whatever he does. (whilst
    your there!) make sure everything is ok..go online and run a few apps like
    OE etc.. check your drives are all recognised and accessible in "my
    computer" etc.

    Brian, Mar 1, 2005
  5. pat

    Mark Shaw Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    > You should not need to replace the motherboard if the BIOS battery is
    > dead, you only need to replace the battery.
    > They are very cheap, just a few of your local currency.
    > Some are soldered into place, but normally they are more easily removable.
    > Deal with the battery first, then come back to the thread and deal with
    > the trojan.

    Lets hope the OP isnt paying for a motherboard she doesnt need...
    Mark Shaw, Mar 1, 2005
  6. pat

    pat Guest

    Have already run spybot and AVG. Have deleted the trojan virus in safe mode
    with system restore disabled, but it still comes back at 13.34 every day.
    Strange!!!!!!

    pat, Mar 1, 2005
  7. pat

    pat Guest

    pat, Mar 1, 2005
  8. Mark Shaw wrote:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>You should not need to replace the motherboard if the BIOS battery is
    >>dead, you only need to replace the battery.
    >>They are very cheap, just a few of your local currency.
    >>Some are soldered into place, but normally they are more easily removable.
    >>Deal with the battery first, then come back to the thread and deal with
    >>the trojan.

    > Lets hope the OP isnt paying for a motherboard she doesnt need...

    Let's hope he/she tells the tech to go away and then find someone who
    isn't prepared to rip her off.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 1, 2005
  9. pat

    pat Guest

    Not costing anything. Still under guarantee!

    pat, Mar 1, 2005
  10. pat

    Brian Guest

    "pat" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "pat" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > >> I have got an engineer coming tomorrow to replace my motherboard on my
    > >> computer (Windows XP, Packard Bell). Something to do with a duff

    battery
    > >> that should remember everything when my computer starts up.

    > > he may just be replacing the bios battery (default settings will be
    > > restored
    > > in your bios. i.e booting sequence)
    > >
    > > I have at the
    > >> moment got a trojan horse downloader virus, which I have had for ages

    and
    > >> keep deleting the file, but it comes back at exactly the same time

    every
    > >> day, after it's deleted, it's gone until the next day.

    > > get yourself adaware and other spyware removal tools:
    > > http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/#trojan
    > > http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/spywareremoval.shtml
    > >
    > > read the help files with those apps as in to turning off/on sys restore
    > > etc.
    > > update them, run them get at least two. and have em remove any pests
    > >
    > > Does anyone know if,
    > >> by replaceing the motherboard, there is any chance that my virus will

    be
    > >> gone for good afterwards.

    > > no. it won't. again read my other post for the list of free anti virus
    > > software.
    > > also as in my other post:
    > > http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/#email (scroll down a touch and you

    will
    > > find the list of free firewalls)
    > >
    > > Also, will having a new motherboard change
    > >> anything that is on my computer now, ie: settings, installations or

    saved
    > >> files and emails.

    > > you may require you to activate your OS again (if the MB does get
    > > replaced
    > > and not just the battery) but other than that probably no.(ask the tech
    > > guy
    > > *nicely* if he will do it for you should it be required)

    I AM A BIT THICK, WHAT IS OS?

    OS = Operating System (in your case Windows XP)

    Brian, Mar 1, 2005
  11. pat wrote:

    > Not costing anything. Still under guarantee!

    The battery may not be, but at only a couple of quid for a battery it is
    the only cost you need to concern yourself about with at the.
    Whether that be financial cost or other.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 1, 2005
  12. pat

    James Guest

    "pat" <> wrote in message
    > Have already run spybot and AVG. Have deleted the trojan virus in safe
    > mode with system restore disabled, but it still comes back at 13.34 every
    > day. Strange!!!!!!
    >

    > "James" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "pat" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have got an engineer coming tomorrow to replace my motherboard on my
    >>>computer (Windows XP, Packard Bell). Something to do with a duff battery
    >>>that should remember everything when my computer starts up. I have at the
    >>>moment got a trojan horse downloader virus, which I have had for ages and
    >>>keep deleting the file, but it comes back at exactly the same time every
    >>>day, after it's deleted, it's gone until the next day. Does anyone know
    >>>if, by replaceing the motherboard, there is any chance that my virus will
    >>>be gone for good afterwards. Also, will having a new motherboard change
    >>>anything that is on my computer now, ie: settings, installations or saved
    >>>files and emails.
    >>>

    >> Certainly NOT! - Replace the motherboard battery to cure that problem
    >> with the motherboard not remembering settings (; - To remove spyware run
    >> Spybot - virus check the system with an up to date virus checker and
    >> allow it to delete or heal the virus. Replacing the motherboard will have
    >> no effect on a virus - the virus is most certainly on your hard drive -
    >> so the worst scenerio is to wipe your hard drive and to re-install XP -
    >> You will still have a virus on your hard drive, after a motherboard
    >> replacement the chances are you may have to re-install XP anyway -
    >> --
    >> James Jenkins
    >> www.tamarsolutions.co.uk

    What qualifications does your technician have?
    James, Mar 1, 2005
  13. pat

    pat Guest

    What qualifications does your technician have?

    Don't know, but he is from PC Service call for PC World. Not costing
    anything, as it'e still under guarantee

    pat, Mar 1, 2005
  14. pat

    James Guest

    "pat" <> wrote in message

    > What qualifications does your technician have?

    > Don't know, but he is from PC Service call for PC World. Not costing
    > anything, as it'e still under guarantee
    >
    > "James" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "pat" <> wrote in message
    >>> Have already run spybot and AVG. Have deleted the trojan virus in safe
    >>> mode with system restore disabled, but it still comes back at 13.34
    >>> every day. Strange!!!!!!
    >>>

    >>> "James" <> wrote in message

    Well - I have CompTIA A+ certification. This certification although not
    advanced is certainly a requirement for working on PC's - in the UK, new
    laws are being created to make it a crime to have unqualified personnel
    carry out any electrical work.
    James, Mar 1, 2005
  15. pat

    Mark Shaw Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message

    > Well - I have CompTIA A+ certification. This certification although not
    > advanced is certainly a requirement for working on PC's - in the UK, new
    > laws are being created to make it a crime to have unqualified personnel
    > carry out any electrical work.

    And judging by some of the questions on here, it should be a crime for those
    people to operate a computer. ;)
    Mark Shaw, Mar 1, 2005
  16. pat

    The One Guest

    new laws are being created to make it a crime to have unqualified personnel
    carry out any electrical work.

    True but will not effect computer installation. The new laws are to clamp
    down on rogue electricians, plumbers etc and not computer installers and
    technicians
    The One, Mar 1, 2005
  17. pat

    nemo2 Guest

    On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:52:22 -0000, "James"
    <> wrote:

    snipped

    >Well - I have CompTIA A+ certification. This certification although not
    >advanced is certainly a requirement for working on PC's - in the UK, new
    >laws are being created to make it a crime to have unqualified personnel
    >carry out any electrical work.

    James,

    Please tell me the new laws that say it's a crime to work on a PC in
    the UK unless you're qualified?

    Regards

    nemo2
    nemo2, Mar 1, 2005
  18. pat

    Ron Martell Guest

    "pat" <> wrote:

    >I have got an engineer coming tomorrow to replace my motherboard on my
    >computer (Windows XP, Packard Bell). Something to do with a duff battery
    >that should remember everything when my computer starts up. I have at the
    >moment got a trojan horse downloader virus, which I have had for ages and
    >keep deleting the file, but it comes back at exactly the same time every
    >day, after it's deleted, it's gone until the next day. Does anyone know if,
    >by replaceing the motherboard, there is any chance that my virus will be
    >gone for good afterwards. Also, will having a new motherboard change
    >anything that is on my computer now, ie: settings, installations or saved
    >files and emails.

    Be *very very careful* about doing this. Your Packard Bell computer
    has a "BIOS Locked" version of Windows XP and Microsoft has just
    recently implemented changes with regard to Product Activation for
    these versions.

    "BIOS Locked" versions of Windows XP do not normally require
    activation provided the motherboard BIOS is the correct brand and
    version. However if a different BIOS is detected, such as when the
    motherboard is replaced by a different make and model, then Windows
    has to be activated in the regular manner. However the recent
    changes by Microsoft means that these specific BIOS locked versions of
    Windows XP will no longer be activated over the Internet. What you
    will get is a window with the following text:

    "This product key is not authorized. Activation cannot be completed
    until a valid product key is entered." Telephone activation is still
    available but reportedly will not be authorized unless it can be
    substantiated that this is a motherboard replacement *under warranty*
    by the computer manufacturer and not a motherboard upgrade.
    Motherboard upgrades with the BIOS locked versions of XP will be
    considered as a different computer and therefore not in compliance
    with the End User License Agreement.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Mar 1, 2005
  19. pat

    pat Guest

    Thank you Ron for your info and warning. Your time was appreciated. However,
    as my computer was still under guarantee, there were no problems. It was
    nothing to do with the battery after all, but it did need a new motherboard.
    All seems to be working very well again now, Touch wood.

    Pat.

    pat, Mar 2, 2005
  20. pat

    Ron Martell Guest

    "pat" <> wrote:

    >Thank you Ron for your info and warning. Your time was appreciated. However,
    >as my computer was still under guarantee, there were no problems. It was
    >nothing to do with the battery after all, but it did need a new motherboard.
    >All seems to be working very well again now, Touch wood.
    >
    >Pat.

    Glad things worked out okay for you.

    This latest activation change has caused some major issues for some
    people.

    Ron Martell, Mar 3, 2005