    MB (Not the CPU fan) starts up for a second then stops.
    Could the PSU be at fault? It seems to me that it is (by process of
    elimination)
    Wally Riley, Feb 17, 2006

  2. Wally Riley wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I hope someone out there can help me.
    > I was happily running my PC (AMD 64 system with a 300Watt PSU and 1gb of DDR
    > RAM), but decided to upgrade the Ram. I bought the ram, shut down the pc and
    > powered off, inserted the module into the slot (the nmobo supports 4GB RAM),
    > but on rebooting the PC didn't recognise the memory. I shut the computer
    > down again and turned the PSU off (not at the wall socket), when I
    > reinstalled the Ram and turned the PSU on again it crackled and arced. I
    > turned all the power off and went and bought a new PSU (400w switchable),
    > but when i installed it into a new spiffy case that I couldn't resist, the
    > PC wouldn't boot, the LED fan at the front of the case lit up briefly, but
    > that was it.
    > My wife wanted a new PC, so thinking that I may have fried the MB or the
    > processor, I went out and bought some new kit, and installed that with the
    > PSU and case. All I connected up to the new Motherboard was the CPU, 1
    > memory stick, a hard drive and the PSU. When I power up the small fan on the
    > MB (Not the CPU fan) starts up for a second then stops.
    > Could the PSU be at fault? It seems to me that it is (by process of
    > elimination)

    Oh really?
    No O'Riley.
    What a Wally.
    I would give it to someone who knows what they are doing, if I were you,
    and get them to sort it out.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 17, 2006

  3. Wally Riley

    Wally Riley Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Oh really?
    > No O'Riley.
    > What a Wally.
    > I would give it to someone who knows what they are doing, if I were you,
    > and get them to sort it out.

    Thanks for the help *sigh*
    Wally Riley, Feb 17, 2006
  4. Wally Riley

    Wally Riley Guest

    *SOLVED*
    A new PSU solved the problem

    Wally Riley, Feb 17, 2006
  5. Wally Riley

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-02-17, Wally Riley <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I hope someone out there can help me.
    > I was happily running my PC (AMD 64 system with a 300Watt PSU and 1gb of DDR
    > RAM), but decided to upgrade the Ram. I bought the ram, shut down the pc and
    > powered off, inserted the module into the slot (the nmobo supports 4GB RAM),
    > but on rebooting the PC didn't recognise the memory. I shut the computer
    > down again and turned the PSU off (not at the wall socket), when I
    > reinstalled the Ram and turned the PSU on again it crackled and arced. I
    > turned all the power off and went and bought a new PSU (400w switchable),
    > but when i installed it into a new spiffy case that I couldn't resist, the
    > PC wouldn't boot, the LED fan at the front of the case lit up briefly, but
    > that was it.
    > My wife wanted a new PC, so thinking that I may have fried the MB or the
    > processor, I went out and bought some new kit, and installed that with the
    > PSU and case. All I connected up to the new Motherboard was the CPU, 1
    > memory stick, a hard drive and the PSU. When I power up the small fan on the
    > MB (Not the CPU fan) starts up for a second then stops.
    > Could the PSU be at fault? It seems to me that it is (by process of
    > elimination)

    Take all the bits to someone who can actually test them properly to see if
    they can salvage anything for you, and have them build a new machine for
    you. Or just cut your losses and buy a ready-made 'base unit' with a
    specification that does what you want (or that you can afford).

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Feb 17, 2006
  6. Wally Riley

    Dave Guest

    Its the kind of help you get most of the time on this group man!!!

    Dave, Feb 17, 2006