new motherboard and I get a bluescreen

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Meat Plow, Jun 28, 2006.

  1. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:46:09 -0700, detap wrote:

    > I just putting a mother board and cpu unit in my computer, now I start to
    > boot it up , and before it can really get started a blue screen comes
    > up.... I am use win 2000 thanks pat

    Pretty much the norm.
    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jun 28, 2006

  2. Meat Plow

    Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:46:09 -0700, detap wrote:
    >
    > > I just putting a mother board and cpu unit in my computer, now I start to
    > > boot it up , and before it can really get started a blue screen comes
    > > up.... I am use win 2000 thanks pat

    > Pretty much the norm.

    No. The chipset from his old board and new one doesn't match. That's
    why he's getting a blue screen, likely the inaccessable boot device.

    What he needs to do is a repair install of windows, or he could boot
    from a bartpe disc, mount the system hive, and remove the drivers on
    the enum/pci keys dealing with IDE/sata drivers, unmount the system
    hive, reboot the machine and let windows redetect the ide/sata drivers.

    That wasn't so hard, now was it?
    , Jun 28, 2006

  3. Meat Plow

    Toolman Tim Guest

    detap wrote:
    > I just putting a mother board and cpu unit in my computer, now I
    > start to boot it up , and before it can really get started a blue
    > screen comes up.... I am use win 2000 thanks pat

    Try safe mode. Then open device manager. Delete the items in the list that
    relate to the OLD motherboard. Reboot. It probably won't work, but it will
    give you something to do until you get fed up and decide to reinstall
    Windows correctly.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 28, 2006
  4. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:28:31 -0700, bughunter.dustin wrote:

    > Subject: Re: new motherboard and I get a bluescreen
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: 28 Jun 2006 11:28:31 -0700
    >

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:46:09 -0700, detap wrote:
    >>
    >> > I just putting a mother board and cpu unit in my computer, now I start
    >> > to boot it up , and before it can really get started a blue screen
    >> > comes up.... I am use win 2000 thanks pat

    >> Pretty much the norm.

    > No. The chipset from his old board and new one doesn't match. That's why
    > he's getting a blue screen, likely the inaccessable boot device.

    Like I said, moron.
    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jun 28, 2006
  5. Meat Plow

    Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > Like I said, moron.

    You said this was pretty much the norm, and it's not. If he changed the
    board to another one by a different company using the same chipset,
    more then likely the computer wouldn't blue screen.

    What you didn't say was why it blue screened, nor did you offer any
    suggestions on how to go about fixing it.

    Moron comment aside...
    , Jun 28, 2006
  6. Meat Plow

    detap Guest

    detap, Jun 28, 2006
  7. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:36:44 -0700, bughunter.dustin wrote:

    > Subject: Re: new motherboard and I get a bluescreen
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: 28 Jun 2006 11:36:44 -0700
    >

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >

    >> Like I said, moron.

    > You said this was pretty much the norm, and it's not. If he changed the
    > board to another one by a different company using the same chipset, more
    > then likely the computer wouldn't blue screen.

    Read above, moron.

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jun 28, 2006
  8. Meat Plow

    Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > > You said this was pretty much the norm, and it's not. If he changed the
    > > board to another one by a different company using the same chipset, more
    > > then likely the computer wouldn't blue screen.

    > Read above, moron.

    Your a little slow huh?
    , Jun 28, 2006
  9. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:57:20 -0700, bughunter.dustin wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> > You said this was pretty much the norm, and it's not. If he changed
    >> > the board to another one by a different company using the same
    >> > chipset, more then likely the computer wouldn't blue screen.

    >> Read above, moron.

    > Your a little slow huh?

    You're an imbecile huh?
    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jun 28, 2006
  10. Meat Plow

    Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Try safe mode. Then open device manager. Delete the items in the list that
    > relate to the OLD motherboard. Reboot. It probably won't work, but it will
    > give you something to do until you get fed up and decide to reinstall
    > Windows correctly.

    It shouldn't boot into safe mode either. He has two choices, reinstall
    windows (repair), or mount the registry and remove the enum keys on the
    pci devices chain dealing with ide/sata. The second option is the
    quickest.
    , Jun 28, 2006
  11. Meat Plow

    Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > You're an imbecile huh?

    You rock man. Moron to imbecile, in less then an hour, and still,
    nothing to contradict what I said previously. Your parents must be
    proud. Tell me, do you make wiseass remarks on usenet in anonymity to
    make up for what you can't do in real life?
    , Jun 28, 2006
  12. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:01:12 -0700, bughunter.dustin wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> You're an imbecile huh?

    > You rock man. Moron to imbecile, in less then an hour, and still, nothing
    > to contradict what I said previously. Your parents must be proud. Tell me,
    > do you make wiseass remarks on usenet in anonymity to make up for what you
    > can't do in real life?

    Dance for me.

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jun 28, 2006
  13. Meat Plow

    Bill Guest

    Chipset?
    bwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

    Bill, Jun 29, 2006
  14. Meat Plow

    Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Try safe mode. Then open device manager. Delete the items in the
    >> list that relate to the OLD motherboard. Reboot. It probably won't
    >> work, but it will give you something to do until you get fed up and
    >> decide to reinstall Windows correctly.

    > It shouldn't boot into safe mode either. He has two choices, reinstall
    > windows (repair), or mount the registry and remove the enum keys on
    > the pci devices chain dealing with ide/sata. The second option is the
    > quickest.

    Okay - I'm not familiar with that. I've heard of remote registry editing,
    but both systems have to be running for that to work, AFAIK.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 29, 2006
  15. Meat Plow

    Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Okay - I'm not familiar with that. I've heard of remote registry editing,
    > but both systems have to be running for that to work, AFAIK.

    It's similiar to remote editing, but doesn't require the host OS to be
    running or even operational. What you do is boot from a bartpe disc, or
    even install the dead host's hard disk into a working computer. The
    idea is to get access to the physical registry hive. Using bart or
    another host, you can mount the system hive portion of the registry,
    drill down to the enum keys under current control set, you'll find pci
    devices, open each one until you get to the ones controlling ide/sata,
    and delete those keys. This will force windows to redetect the
    controller hardware on it's next boot.

    If you want more details, I can provide you the cheat sheet I wrote for
    work, it's how we train newbies on doing it, so we don't have to
    constantly explain it. :)
    , Jun 29, 2006
  16. Meat Plow

    Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > Chipset?
    > bwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

    Yes, Bill, the chipset. Specifically the ide/sata controller portion is
    whats causing windows to hiccup. If you had a via chipset for example
    and you switched over to an intel chipset, the hard disk controller
    will be different, and you'll get the infamous blue screen of death, or
    reboot reboot loop. However, with that in mind, if you switch from one
    version of intel, say the 845 to the 915, you might still be able to
    boot without a bluescreen of death. The same holds true for via. It
    just depends on how closely related the ide/sata controllers are.

    The entire chipset doesn't matter, as I'm sure you know, it's just the
    ide/sata portion thats the big deal.

    You can look up this information if you'd like, it's well documented
    and is a sound alternative to repair installing windows.
    , Jun 29, 2006
  17. Meat Plow

    Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Okay - I'm not familiar with that. I've heard of remote registry
    >> editing, but both systems have to be running for that to work, AFAIK.

    > It's similiar to remote editing, but doesn't require the host OS to be
    > running or even operational. What you do is boot from a bartpe disc,
    > or even install the dead host's hard disk into a working computer. The
    > idea is to get access to the physical registry hive. Using bart or
    > another host, you can mount the system hive portion of the registry,
    > drill down to the enum keys under current control set, you'll find pci
    > devices, open each one until you get to the ones controlling ide/sata,
    > and delete those keys. This will force windows to redetect the
    > controller hardware on it's next boot.

    That's kind of what I was thinking. I've not tried it before, though.

    > If you want more details, I can provide you the cheat sheet I wrote
    > for work, it's how we train newbies on doing it, so we don't have to
    > constantly explain it. :)

    Oh - I understand the step-by-step thing. We've done it as well for our data
    entry positions. We had one dumb f*** in invoicing though that worked there
    for 4 years, never doing one single invoice without her cheat sheet. I mean,
    c'mon - it's a training device! We finally found solid grounds to fire her
    <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jun 29, 2006
  18. Meat Plow

    Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > That's kind of what I was thinking. I've not tried it before, though.

    It's a real time saver. If you don't have to do a repair install, you
    don't have to reapply service packs and updates. :)

    > Oh - I understand the step-by-step thing. We've done it as well for our data
    > entry positions. We had one dumb f*** in invoicing though that worked there
    > for 4 years, never doing one single invoice without her cheat sheet. I mean,
    > c'mon - it's a training device! We finally found solid grounds to fire her
    > <g>

    The newbies are only supposed to use the cheat sheet to get familiar
    with the process. Once they havem they're expected to do it without
    bugging us or checking the sheet. Damn high school kids. Every summer
    our company hires a few kids from local schools who show an interest in
    computers beyond gaming. Our boss seems to think it's beneficial to
    society or something. It's just a headache for me.

    For example, no matter how much I plead with this one kid, he insists
    on loading sp2 on every single windows XP box that comes in. You just
    can't do this, sp2 breaks some applications, and muddles with tcpip; if
    the owner torrents, does serious gaming, etc, he will notice the
    network connectivity loss.

    Have you seen what happens when sp2 loads partially and bombs? You are
    doing a repair install at that point. :)
    , Jun 29, 2006
  19. Meat Plow

    Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> That's kind of what I was thinking. I've not tried it before, though.

    > It's a real time saver. If you don't have to do a repair install, you
    > don't have to reapply service packs and updates. :)
    >
    >> Oh - I understand the step-by-step thing. We've done it as well for
    >> our data entry positions. We had one dumb f*** in invoicing though
    >> that worked there for 4 years, never doing one single invoice
    >> without her cheat sheet. I mean, c'mon - it's a training device! We
    >> finally found solid grounds to fire her <g>

    > The newbies are only supposed to use the cheat sheet to get familiar
    > with the process. Once they havem they're expected to do it without
    > bugging us or checking the sheet. Damn high school kids. Every summer
    > our company hires a few kids from local schools who show an interest
    > in computers beyond gaming. Our boss seems to think it's beneficial to
    > society or something. It's just a headache for me.
    >
    > For example, no matter how much I plead with this one kid, he insists
    > on loading sp2 on every single windows XP box that comes in. You just
    > can't do this, sp2 breaks some applications, and muddles with tcpip;
    > if the owner torrents, does serious gaming, etc, he will notice the
    > network connectivity loss.
    >
    > Have you seen what happens when sp2 loads partially and bombs? You are
    > doing a repair install at that point. :)

    I've been lucky there. Many of the systems at work don't do automatic
    updates, since over half the users have no Internet access (which eliminates
    much of the need for the updates anyway <g>). But the systems that do need
    updates, I prefer to do the 'big' ones myself so I can check that they are
    running right and clean them up first. That seems to have prevented the
    crashed SP2 installs. But out of the 50 systems at work, I'd guess about 15
    are still at SP1. Someday I guess I'd better get back on that.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 29, 2006
  20. Howdy!

    "detap" <> wrote in message
    > I just putting a mother board and cpu unit in my computer, now I start to
    > boot it up , and before it can really get started a blue screen comes

    up....
    > I am use win 2000 thanks pat

    And the blue screen says?

    If it says "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" then you need to reinstall
    Windows, as has been pointed out in other posts.

    If it's something else, you need to tell us what it is - there's
    only 65,536 possible errors that show up for a blue screen, and each of the
    four parameters can be up to 4 billion something possible choices ...

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 29, 2006