new monitor for editing photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joe, Oct 22, 2004.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "Jean" <> wrote in message
    > I'm now at the stage when I'm ready to scan my best slides and make some
    > prints. My old monitor is about to give up the ghost and I can't find any
    > recent monitor reviews online. (Everyone is focusing on LCD's these days
    > ...no pun intended). So I was hoping y'all could give me some opinions to
    > help me decide on a good solid monitor for all the editing work.
    >
    > Based on some outdated reviews and on price, my short list includes LaCie
    > Electron Blue IV, NEC/Mitsubishi DP930SB, and Samsung SyncMaster 957.
    > Anyone have any comments on these models? Anyone know of any sites that
    > still review monitors?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jean

    Just bought one last week. Don't know if you're from Europe or not. Went to
    PC World .
    Price for a LG L 1720B 17" TFT (Contrast Ratio 450:1) £349.99
    Went to Argos. Special Offer
    Price for a LG L 1730S 17" TFT (Contrast Ratio 550:1) £259.99 Other Specs
    the same as 1720B
    There was a colour correction software included which is supposed to link up
    to your printer for synchronised colour results using ICC ( Whatever that
    is).
    Do the terms "LCD" and "TFT" mean the same thing? I know that LCD means
    liquid crystal display and I'm sure that TFT has some fare out tech
    explanation. I was just wondering if they referred to the same type of
    Monitor.
    Joe

    Jean, Oct 22, 2004

  3. Joe

    GT40 Guest

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:40:41 -0400, "Jean" <> wrote:

    >I'm now at the stage when I'm ready to scan my best slides and make some
    >prints. My old monitor is about to give up the ghost and I can't find any
    >recent monitor reviews online. (Everyone is focusing on LCD's these days
    >...no pun intended). So I was hoping y'all could give me some opinions to
    >help me decide on a good solid monitor for all the editing work.
    >
    >Based on some outdated reviews and on price, my short list includes LaCie
    >Electron Blue IV, NEC/Mitsubishi DP930SB, and Samsung SyncMaster 957.
    >Anyone have any comments on these models? Anyone know of any sites that
    >still review monitors?

    If you have money to burn Wacom makes some LCD's that you can draw on,
    for easy photoshop work.
    GT40, Oct 22, 2004
  4. Joe

    Linda_N Guest

    "Jean" <> wrote in message
    > I'm now at the stage when I'm ready to scan my best slides and make some
    > prints. My old monitor is about to give up the ghost and I can't find any
    > recent monitor reviews online. (Everyone is focusing on LCD's these days
    > ...no pun intended). So I was hoping y'all could give me some opinions to
    > help me decide on a good solid monitor for all the editing work.
    >
    > Based on some outdated reviews and on price, my short list includes LaCie
    > Electron Blue IV, NEC/Mitsubishi DP930SB, and Samsung SyncMaster 957.
    > Anyone have any comments on these models? Anyone know of any sites that
    > still review monitors?

    Last time I did extensive research on LCD monitors (which was a couple of
    months ago) most advice was they were great for gaming, general computer
    work like word processing, tax preparation, browing the Web and so on, but
    not recommended for graphics design and photo editing, 3D modelling, or any
    other type of work that relies heavily on correct color display. LCD
    monitors cannot be color calibrated to any degree of accuracy, CRTs are far
    superior still. There were a few LCD models mentioned as 'better than the
    rest' for color calibration, but the $$$$$ was large for them. Personally
    I'm going to give it another 6 months before I look seriously into LCD
    again.

    For CRT monitors I've always been very happy with the Viewsonic Professional
    series. I've not tried their other series for home use and game specific,
    but know of other people who have used them and were very pleased. Hansol
    also offers a number of high ranked models (read reviews though because most
    companies have winners and losers).

    Linda
    Linda_N, Oct 22, 2004
  5. Joe

    Ross Guest

    Why don't you try browsing a PC magazine on line. E.g.

    http://www.pcauthority.com.au

    and this is a URL I turned up quickly

    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/review.aspx?CIaRCID=40

    which is in fact a review of CRT monitors.

    If these links don't work for you try some of the other magazines.

    Ross

    There is (or used to be) a facility to search the archives for reviews of
    hardware like monitors.

    Ross, Oct 23, 2004
  6. Joe

    Jean Guest

    "Ross" <> wrote in message
    | Why don't you try browsing a PC magazine on line. E.g.
    |
    | http://www.pcauthority.com.au
    |
    | and this is a URL I turned up quickly
    |
    | http://www.pcauthority.com.au/review.aspx?CIaRCID=40
    |
    | which is in fact a review of CRT monitors.
    |
    | If these links don't work for you try some of the other magazines.
    |

    | Ross
    |
    | There is (or used to be) a facility to search the archives for reviews of
    | hardware like monitors.

    Thanks for the links. I did try to search PC World and PC Magazine - both
    have given up on reviewing CRT's in favor of reviewing LCD's.

    Jean
    Jean, Oct 23, 2004
  7. A TFT (thin film transistor) display is a subset of Liquid Crystal
    Display. LCD screens may be either active matrix or passive. The
    former is better, and is usually done with thin film transistors
    deposited throughout the display face.

    Don Stauffer in Minneapolis, Oct 24, 2004
  8. While the LCD displays are catching up to CRTs, they are not quite
    there, and certainly do not surpass them. Since they are more
    expensive also, if you have the space stay with the CRT.

    Don Stauffer in Minneapolis, Oct 24, 2004
  9. "Jean" <> wrote in message
    > I'm now at the stage when I'm ready to scan my best slides and make some
    > prints. My old monitor is about to give up the ghost and I can't find any
    > recent monitor reviews online. (Everyone is focusing on LCD's these days
    > ...no pun intended). So I was hoping y'all could give me some opinions to
    > help me decide on a good solid monitor for all the editing work.
    >
    > Based on some outdated reviews and on price, my short list includes LaCie
    > Electron Blue IV, NEC/Mitsubishi DP930SB, and Samsung SyncMaster 957.
    > Anyone have any comments on these models? Anyone know of any sites that
    > still review monitors?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jean

    I have a Samsung Syncmaster 955, and it is excellent.
    Marvin Margoshes, Oct 24, 2004