New Monitor Configuration

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I have just got a new monitor and need a little help optimising it.

    The monitor is a Iiyama 17" LCD. I have upgraded to this from a
    really poor 15" CRT with resolution of 800x600, so I am seeing a major
    difference.

    I need a little help configuring it though and just wondered what
    resolution everyone with 17" LCDs use?

    Also, at the bottom the taskbar seems a little funny. I always had it
    pulled up a tiny bit so I could always see the day and date as well
    instead of just the time. It also lets you chose between lots more
    open programs to click in and out of if you pull it up a tad. Instead
    of having just one row you can have two.

    Anyway, the taskbar seems to be a bit lower and the date is half in
    the screen and half out. I guess this is something to do with the
    monitor itself and I need to play around with it and find the one to
    condense it a bit horizontally.

    The only other thing I noticed, and maybe you can help on this, is
    that when I have the TV Tuner open, the picture quality doesn't seem
    as good as when I had the 15" at 800x600. I am guessing that this is
    because of the small number of lines that PAL/NTSC etc put in the TV
    picture, and now the resolution has gone up, it has stretched it so
    the quality isn't as good for TV? Am I on the right track with that
    assessment or is it something else?

    I have the display now set at 1280x1024 at 32 Bit colour. I think the
    refresh rate is 75Hz. Is that okay or should it be lower? I think
    the other two options are 65 and 60? Higher is better isn't it?

    Finally, I am sure there is a website with some sort of utility or
    picture that helps you optimise the brightness and contrast of
    different monitor so that they are at their best settings. Any ides
    on sites for that?

    Now I have my new monitor I will be able to use Cubase again. With
    the 15" at 800x600 it wouldn't let me run the program because it
    needed a better monitor spec! :)

    Cheers

    John

    John, Jul 3, 2004

  2. John

    Thor Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I have just got a new monitor and need a little help optimising it.
    >
    > The monitor is a Iiyama 17" LCD. I have upgraded to this from a
    > really poor 15" CRT with resolution of 800x600, so I am seeing a major
    > difference.
    >
    > I need a little help configuring it though and just wondered what
    > resolution everyone with 17" LCDs use?

    Personally, I find 1024x768 the most agreeable on a 17" screen. Higher and
    things like text can get a tad too small and fuzzy for my taste, and lower
    is just a waste of the screen area you have in a 17" unless you have really
    bad vision, and need stuff to be extra large onscreen. If everything is easy
    to read, and not too small for your taste at 1280x1024, then by all means,
    use it.

    > Also, at the bottom the taskbar seems a little funny. I always had it
    > pulled up a tiny bit so I could always see the day and date as well
    > instead of just the time. It also lets you chose between lots more
    > open programs to click in and out of if you pull it up a tad. Instead
    > of having just one row you can have two.

    > Anyway, the taskbar seems to be a bit lower and the date is half in
    > the screen and half out. I guess this is something to do with the
    > monitor itself and I need to play around with it and find the one to
    > condense it a bit horizontally.

    You need to adjust the monitor's horizontal vertical size and position
    controls to get the screen properly centered and optimally sized. Consult
    your manual on how to use the controls. They differ somewhat from brand to
    brand in how you go about this. Some have onscreen menus, and others just
    buttons. LCD monitors usually have an "auto" set function that may easily
    get everything set properly for you when it is activated. Look for it in
    your controls, or monitor's on-screen menu.

    > The only other thing I noticed, and maybe you can help on this, is
    > that when I have the TV Tuner open, the picture quality doesn't seem
    > as good as when I had the 15" at 800x600. I am guessing that this is
    > because of the small number of lines that PAL/NTSC etc put in the TV
    > picture, and now the resolution has gone up, it has stretched it so
    > the quality isn't as good for TV? Am I on the right track with that
    > assessment or is it something else?

    Yes, most likely. Broadcast (non high definition) TV is very low resolution
    compared to what the monitor is capable of.

    > I have the display now set at 1280x1024 at 32 Bit colour. I think the
    > refresh rate is 75Hz. Is that okay or should it be lower? I think
    > the other two options are 65 and 60? Higher is better isn't it?

    With an LCD, 60Hz should be fine. Unlike CRT monitors, 60Hz should not
    result in perceptable flicker on an LCD. If it were a CRT (tube), then I'd
    recommend 75Hz or higher. If you can't tell the difference on your LCD
    between 60Hz, and 75Hz, then you may as well use 60Hz. Most LCDs seem to be
    happiest at that setting anyway, and many won't even use any other
    frequency.

    > Finally, I am sure there is a website with some sort of utility or
    > picture that helps you optimise the brightness and contrast of
    > different monitor so that they are at their best settings. Any ides
    > on sites for that?

    Don't know about websites, but I do know that some utilities exist that help
    you adjust monitor settings. Search around the shareware sites.
    Utilitygeek.com is a good place to start.

    Thor, Jul 3, 2004

  3. John

    VWWall Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I have just got a new monitor and need a little help optimising it.

    Check out: (free program)

    http://www.geocities.com/tvdarekz/

    for Monitor Testor. It's at the bottom of the page. It will help in
    setting up the contrast, brightness and size of the display.

    As usual, Thor gave some good advice.:)

    Viorg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the