    (w/o a screensaver), should one be concerned (at all) re image burn ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Bob, Apr 21, 2010

  2. Bob

    Jan B Guest

    "Bob" <> schreef in bericht
    news:hqmmge$k4r$-september.org...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Finally tossed my old crt monitor and got a new LG flat panel one.
    > Really nice.
    > Guess it's termed a lcd type of monitor.
    >
    > Are these monitors as damage prone for "burn-in" type of problems as the
    > crt's were if the image does not change over, e.g., a few hours, and
    > therefore require a screen-saver ?
    >
    > If so, is Black a generated "color" as the other colors are ?
    >
    > I guess I'm wondering if the screen were left on a totally black image
    > (w/o a screensaver), should one be concerned (at all) re image burn ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Google for: lcd monitor burnin
    Jan B

    Jan B, Apr 21, 2010

  3. Bob

    Tony Guest

    Absolutely correct.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
    on the job for potty mouth,

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Apr 21, 2010
  4. Bob

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 07:10:59 -0400, Bob wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Finally tossed my old crt monitor and got a new LG flat panel one.
    > Really nice.
    > Guess it's termed a lcd type of monitor.
    >
    > Are these monitors as damage prone for "burn-in" type of problems as the
    > crt's were if the image does not change over, e.g., a few hours, and
    > therefore require a screen-saver ?
    >
    > If so, is Black a generated "color" as the other colors are ?
    >
    > I guess I'm wondering if the screen were left on a totally black image
    > (w/o a screensaver), should one be concerned (at all) re image burn ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Quit worrying about it. In fifty years I've only seen one case of "burn
    in". That was due to the fact the monitor was left on 24 hours a day and
    they had the time displayed in the same position.

    "Burn in" will not happen in just a few hours. I've left my monitor on
    overnight with no burn in effect. If you're that damn worried about it,
    just turn off the monitor when not in use.

    richard, Apr 21, 2010
  5. Bob

    olfart Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 07:10:59 -0400, Bob wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Finally tossed my old crt monitor and got a new LG flat panel one.
    >> Really nice.
    >> Guess it's termed a lcd type of monitor.
    >>
    >> Are these monitors as damage prone for "burn-in" type of problems as the
    >> crt's were if the image does not change over, e.g., a few hours, and
    >> therefore require a screen-saver ?
    >>
    >> If so, is Black a generated "color" as the other colors are ?
    >>
    >> I guess I'm wondering if the screen were left on a totally black image
    >> (w/o a screensaver), should one be concerned (at all) re image burn ?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bob

    > Quit worrying about it. In fifty years I've only seen one case of "burn
    > in". That was due to the fact the monitor was left on 24 hours a day and
    > they had the time displayed in the same position.
    >
    > "Burn in" will not happen in just a few hours. I've left my monitor on
    > overnight with no burn in effect. If you're that damn worried about it,
    > just turn off the monitor when not in use.

    stOOpid.....LG flatpanels won't' EVER burn in

    olfart, Apr 21, 2010
  6. richard wrote:

    > In fifty years I've only seen one case of "burn in".

    We're talkin' computers here, St00pid, not mid-60s television sets. Like
    you knew what burn-in was when you were eight years old...

    To Bob: just set the computer to put the monitor in standby after a
    half-hour or an hour of inactivity. How you do that depends on your BIOS
    and/or your operating system.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 21, 2010
  7. Bob

    Mike Easter Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > I guess I'm wondering if the screen were left on a totally black image
    > (w/o a screensaver), should one be concerned (at all) re image burn ?

    Image persistence is much much less of a problem with LCD than plasma;
    and besides that your OS has a dark power saving mode for the monitor.

    Damaged phosphor causes the persistence in CRT. The exact causes in LCD
    are uncertain/debated, but the condition in LCD is more reversible than
    in CRT.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence Image persistence is the
    LCD and plasma display equivalent of screen burn. Unlike screen burn,
    however, the effects are most often only temporary. Plasma displays can
    also suffer from burn-in.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 21, 2010
  8. Bob

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Image persistence is much much less of a problem with LCD than plasma;

    Oops. s/plasma/CRT/

    Image persistence is much much less of a problem with LCD than CRT.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 21, 2010
  9. Bob

    thanatoid Guest

    Gaius Baltar <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 07:10:59 -0400, Bob
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>If so, is Black a generated "color" as the other colors are
    >>?
    >>
    >>I guess I'm wondering if the screen were left on a totally
    >>black image (w/o a screensaver), should one be concerned
    >>(at all) re image burn ?

    > Black is the absence of any other colours. The fluorescent
    > backlight is always ON however, and there is always some
    > light bleed through (set black screensaver, preview it and
    > observe in a totally dark room), hence LCD monitors put
    > great store on contrast ratio whitest white to blackest
    > black, 1000:1 is usually quite satisfactory.

    LCD are the biggest and most harmful (AFA quality) scam ever.
    They do NOT use less power, they look like shit in general -
    like an unsharp mask was over-applied to the entire image - they
    do not last, they get dead pixels, when the backlight goes dim
    to the point of needing to be changed you find out a new
    backlight including service (non-user changeable, except for
    early Sharps - maybe current as well, I don't know, but
    according to market rules, that was an anomaly and was most
    probably eliminated) costs more than a whole new unit, and they
    will NEVER display true black. You can call the ratio 50,000:1
    (I'm not sure I have NOT seen this somewhere) but that still
    doesn't mean one end is 100% black.

    Did you ever wonder why ALL they ever show on them in the stores
    is 2-D animation?

    > The LCD image is generated quite differently to the one on
    > a CRT which uses 3 electron beams, so image persistence is
    > not nearly so much of an issue.

    Or one:

    "The name Trinitron was derived from trinity, meaning the union
    of three, and tron from electron tube, after the way that the
    Trinitron combined the three separate electron guns of other CRT
    designs into one."
    (Sony Trinitron, Wikipedia)

    When the Trinitron patent ran out was truly a dark day - and it
    became even darker once the LCD shit took over.

    Burn-in (or "persistence" - "persistence of vision" is actually
    a term for the eye not "catching" each of the individual 24, 25
    or 30 frames per second, just a /seemingly/ continuous flow of
    moving images) is NOT an issue, nor has it been an issue for the
    last 15 years with quality color CRT's - which will probably
    come back when this scam runs it course (could be a WHILE), but
    at suitably inflated prices.

    thanatoid, Apr 22, 2010