    50kbps.Every thing the same except modem.I thought USB was faster.Any info
    or help will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    J C Ames, May 13, 2004

  2. J C Ames

    w_tom Guest

    XP does not normally blue screen because better information
    is stored in the system logs. Furthermore, normally a modem
    does not crash XP. To crash XP, a modem would have to
    interfere with other critical hardware.

    Now for important facts. What were the error code and other
    numbers in that blue screen. Remember. You don't yet want to
    fix it. First you want to identify reason for failure. Is
    modem defective? If not, is something else in your computer
    defective.

    BTW, you did remove the old modem drivers from the system
    (see Device Manager) before you installed the new modem. How
    was old modem damaged?

    In the meantime, maybe verify hardware without the
    complications of Windows. IOW break down the problem into
    separate parts. An old and well proven program that runs only
    in DOS is PortInfo:
    http://sac-ftp.gratex.sk/comm9.html
    http://filedudes.cablelan.net/win3xx/online/ctsspu50.html
    http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-bin/freedownload/Multi-Platform/q/57/ctsspu50.zip
    ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/sysutl/ctsspu42.zip

    Boot to DOS (Command Prompt). Then connect external modem.
    Then execute the PortInfo program. If a hardware problem
    exists, either you can talk to the hardware (see electrons
    with your eyes or speculate what they are doing), or your CPU
    talks directly to hardware (how problems are really
    identified) and tells you what is really happening. PortInfo
    goes one step farther. It also offers suggestions and
    solutions.

    w_tom, May 13, 2004

  3. J C Ames

    °Mike° Guest

    What does this mean?

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:46:34 -0500, in
    <>
    J C Ames scrawled:

    <snip>

    >The comp would but not Windows it just sat there & ran the progression bar
    >ran.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance