    Could bad RAM do this? CPU? The board and CPU were online purchases
    and I want to make sure before I send back what I feel to be the
    culprit.
    Chilly Willy, May 5, 2005

  2. Chilly Willy

    Cubzilla Guest

    "Chilly Willy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Bought what I think to be a lemon. First install resulted in fans and
    > HDDs whiring but no post beep. Reseating the RAM resulted in the same
    > thing. So I checked for case-shorting by pulling and re-installing the
    > mobo. All was peachy.
    >
    > ...for a couple of weeks.
    >
    > Then I come home from work one day to find my screensaver burning a
    > frozen image into my CRT. A reboot results in fans & HDD whirs but no
    > post beep. Drop the old board in and I'm up and running. Do a table
    > install(no case) and I get fan-whir followed by quick death.
    >
    > Could bad RAM do this? CPU? The board and CPU were online purchases
    > and I want to make sure before I send back what I feel to be the
    > culprit.

    So let me get this right , when you removed the mobo and re-installed all
    worked well for a couple of weeks...

    ie the problem was a short circuit to the chassis caused by you, and you ran
    it like that (with the short) for sometime while you troubleshooted

    How is this a lemon. you have probably created the fault yourself.

    have you fitted the old cpu and ram with the original mobo ?

    The only way to prove whats wrong is by substitution, start with the ram,
    maybe the CPU next ... does the CPU fan spin just before it dies ?

    regrads
    Cubzilla, May 5, 2005

  3. Chilly Willy

    Chilly Willy Guest

    "Cubzilla" <> was hangin' out in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    and figured Thu, 5 May 2005 08:05:07 +0100 would be a good time to
    say:

    >"Chilly Willy" <> wrote in message
    >> Bought what I think to be a lemon. First install resulted in fans and
    >> HDDs whiring but no post beep. Reseating the RAM resulted in the same
    >> thing. So I checked for case-shorting by pulling and re-installing the
    >> mobo. All was peachy.
    >>
    >> ...for a couple of weeks.
    >>
    >> Then I come home from work one day to find my screensaver burning a
    >> frozen image into my CRT. A reboot results in fans & HDD whirs but no
    >> post beep. Drop the old board in and I'm up and running. Do a table
    >> install(no case) and I get fan-whir followed by quick death.
    >>
    >> Could bad RAM do this? CPU? The board and CPU were online purchases
    >> and I want to make sure before I send back what I feel to be the
    >> culprit.

    >So let me get this right , when you removed the mobo and re-installed all
    >worked well for a couple of weeks...
    >
    >ie the problem was a short circuit to the chassis caused by you, and you ran
    >it like that (with the short) for sometime while you troubleshooted
    >
    >How is this a lemon. you have probably created the fault yourself.
    >
    >have you fitted the old cpu and ram with the original mobo ?
    >
    >The only way to prove whats wrong is by substitution, start with the ram,
    >maybe the CPU next ... does the CPU fan spin just before it dies ?
    >

    >regrads

    Like I say I did a table install laying the board on a non-conductive
    surface on a table. The fans start and then immediately stop. Yes the
    first thing I tried again was reseating the RAM and I did doublecheck
    the CPU. Unfortunately this is a major upgrade and I've got no old RAM
    and/or CPU that will fit the new board.
    Chilly Willy, May 5, 2005