    means new everything but he wants to keep his old HDD cos it has all his
    stuff on. Can I simply plug everything togther and reinstall drivers etc or
    is it going to be more difficult than that?
    Johnny8977, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Johnny8977

    PC Guest

    "Johnny8977" <***NOSPAM***> wrote in message
    > All
    >
    > I'm putting together a new system together for my younger brother, which
    > means new everything but he wants to keep his old HDD cos it has all his
    > stuff on. Can I simply plug everything togther and reinstall drivers etc
    > or is it going to be more difficult than that?

    Sorry to say this but it's a bit like asking how long is a bit of string!

    It simply is a case of try it and see, you may get away with it.

    The 'Best' advice however is to save " all his stuff" to CDR / Hard drive/
    floppy (whatever is available) and do a 'Clean' install.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Johnny8977

    Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:38:05 -0000, "Johnny8977"
    <***NOSPAM***> wrote:

    |> All
    |>
    |> I'm putting together a new system together for my younger brother, which
    |> means new everything but he wants to keep his old HDD cos it has all his
    |> stuff on. Can I simply plug everything togther and reinstall drivers etc or
    |> is it going to be more difficult than that?

    Win98 no problem just keep giving it the drivers it ask for when you
    boot up the first time.

    W2k run a repair on it.

    XP isn't going to like finding new hardware, you will have to run
    repair, then you will run into a reactivation problem - XP allows three
    hardware changes before it unactivates(?) the CPU counts as 2 -

    As mentioned, your situation maybe different, count on it.
    , Nov 30, 2004
  4. Johnny8977

    SgtMinor Guest

    wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:38:05 -0000, "Johnny8977"
    > <***NOSPAM***> wrote:
    >
    > |> All
    > |>
    > |> I'm putting together a new system together for my younger brother, which
    > |> means new everything but he wants to keep his old HDD cos it has all his
    > |> stuff on. Can I simply plug everything togther and reinstall drivers etc or
    > |> is it going to be more difficult than that?
    > |>

    > Win98 no problem just keep giving it the drivers it ask for when you
    > boot up the first time.
    >
    > W2k run a repair on it.
    >
    > XP isn't going to like finding new hardware, you will have to run
    > repair, then you will run into a reactivation problem - XP allows three
    > hardware changes before it unactivates(?) the CPU counts as 2 -

    It's not actually counting the number of changes, but there's like a
    vote, see? All very simple, really.

    From Microsoft:

    "How does product activation determine tolerance? In other words, how
    many components of the PC must change before I am required to reactivate?

    Common changes to hardware such as upgrading a video card, adding a
    second hard disk drive, adding RAM or upgrading a CD-ROM device will not
    require the system to be reactivated.

    Specifically, product activation determines tolerance through a voting
    mechanism. There are 10 hardware characteristics used in creating the
    hardware hash. Each characteristic is worth one vote, except the network
    card which is worth three votes. When thinking of tolerance, it's
    easiest to think about what has not changed instead of what has changed.
    When the current hardware hash is compared to the original hardware
    hash, there must be 7 or more matching points for the two hardware
    hashes to be considered in tolerance. If the network card is the same,
    then only 4 additional characteristics must match (because the network
    card is worth 3, for a total of 7). If the network card is not the same,
    then a total of 7 characteristics other than the network card must be
    the same. If the device is a laptop (specifically a dockable device),
    additional tolerance is allotted and there need be only 4 or more
    matching points. Therefore, if the device is dockable and the network
    card is the same, only one other characteristic must be the same for a
    total vote of 4. If the device is dockable and the network card is not
    the same, then a total of 4 characteristics other than the network card
    must be the same."

    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx

    --
    "I told you it was simple."

    SgtMinor, Nov 30, 2004
  5. Johnny8977

    Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:57:44 -0500, SgtMinor
    <> wrote:

    |> wrote:

    |> > Win98 no problem just keep giving it the drivers it ask for when you
    |> > boot up the first time.
    |> >
    |> > W2k run a repair on it.
    |> >
    |> > XP isn't going to like finding new hardware, you will have to run
    |> > repair, then you will run into a reactivation problem - XP allows three
    |> > hardware changes before it unactivates(?) the CPU counts as 2 -
    |>
    |> It's not actually counting the number of changes, but there's like a
    |> vote, see? All very simple, really.

    Call em what you want, if less than seven (of the 10) agree you
    re-activate.

    http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt

    "Typically all bit-fields with the exception of the unused field and
    the 'dockable' field are compared. If more than three of these ten
    bit-fields have changed in a) since product activation, re-activation
    is required.

    This means, for example, that in our above real-world example, we
    could replace the harddrive and the CD-ROM drive and substantially
    upgrade our RAM without having to re-activate our Windows XP
    installation."

    The exception is if you have selected your computer to allow docking,
    which gives more leeway.

    I think that's what Microsoft attempts to say.

    |> From Microsoft:
    |>
    |> "How does product activation determine tolerance? In other words, how
    |> many components of the PC must change before I am required to reactivate?
    |>
    |> Common changes to hardware such as upgrading a video card, adding a
    |> second hard disk drive, adding RAM or upgrading a CD-ROM device will not
    |> require the system to be reactivated.
    |>
    |> Specifically, product activation determines tolerance through a voting
    |> mechanism. There are 10 hardware characteristics used in creating the
    |> hardware hash. Each characteristic is worth one vote, except the network
    |> card which is worth three votes. When thinking of tolerance, it's
    |> easiest to think about what has not changed instead of what has changed.
    |> When the current hardware hash is compared to the original hardware
    |> hash, there must be 7 or more matching points for the two hardware
    |> hashes to be considered in tolerance. If the network card is the same,
    |> then only 4 additional characteristics must match (because the network
    |> card is worth 3, for a total of 7). If the network card is not the same,
    |> then a total of 7 characteristics other than the network card must be
    |> the same. If the device is a laptop (specifically a dockable device),
    |> additional tolerance is allotted and there need be only 4 or more
    |> matching points. Therefore, if the device is dockable and the network
    |> card is the same, only one other characteristic must be the same for a
    |> total vote of 4. If the device is dockable and the network card is not
    |> the same, then a total of 4 characteristics other than the network card
    |> must be the same."
    |>
    |> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx
    , Nov 30, 2004
  6. Johnny8977

    Adam Guest

    Johnny

    You best bet is to put a new HHD in as the main drive, installing the OS etc
    to it. Install the old HHD a slave to this one and it will just appear as
    another drive and you will be able to see everything that was on it.

    Adam

    Adam, Nov 30, 2004
  7. Johnny8977

    Johnny8977 Guest

    Actually, that's a good plan. His old HDD was only 40gb so a bit extra won't
    go a miss. Cheers, and thanks to everyone else who replied.

    Johnny8977, Nov 30, 2004
  8. "Johnny8977" <***NOSPAM***> wrote in
    <41acbec0$0$532$>:

    >Actually, that's a good plan. His old HDD was only 40gb so a bit extra
    >won't go a miss. Cheers, and thanks to everyone else who replied.

    Just one thing...

    I used my old system disk on a few new pcs.If you saveboot or repair-
    install,you could work after some tuning with your "old windows" again.

    It works,but be prepaired to get some strange errors sometimes...

    Sayso_Takewashi, Dec 2, 2004