New Microsoft Terms and Conditions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matty F, Mar 11, 2006.

  1. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    What is the legal situation here if I click on "I Accept"?

    http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg

    I don't suppose it's any use telling Microsoft or xtra about this
    bug. Or is it deliberate? Yes I'm using Mozilla because it has
    fewer bugs and more features than IE.
    Matty F, Mar 11, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. T'was the Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:42:54 +1300 when I remembered Matty F
    <> saying something like this:

    >What is the legal situation here if I click on "I Accept"?
    >
    >http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg
    >
    >I don't suppose it's any use telling Microsoft or xtra about this
    >bug. Or is it deliberate? Yes I'm using Mozilla because it has
    >fewer bugs and more features than IE.


    I suppose if this went to a court of law it'd have to be resolved in
    your favour, it's not exactly your fault that their website didn't
    render a correct form, after all, it's not exactly difficult html to
    do.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/
    Waylon Kenning, Mar 11, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Matty F

    Steve B Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 00:32:44 +1300, Waylon Kenning
    <> wrote:

    >T'was the Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:42:54 +1300 when I remembered Matty F
    ><> saying something like this:
    >
    >>What is the legal situation here if I click on "I Accept"?
    >>
    >>http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg
    >>
    >>I don't suppose it's any use telling Microsoft or xtra about this
    >>bug. Or is it deliberate? Yes I'm using Mozilla because it has
    >>fewer bugs and more features than IE.

    >
    >I suppose if this went to a court of law it'd have to be resolved in
    >your favour, it's not exactly your fault that their website didn't
    >render a correct form, after all, it's not exactly difficult html to
    >do.


    But you don't sign a blank sheet of paper. I think the court might say
    if you were incautious enough to click "accept" you have to live with
    the consequences.

    Steve B.
    Steve B, Mar 11, 2006
    #3
  4. Matty F

    Peter Guest

    Steve B wrote:

    >
    > But you don't sign a blank sheet of paper. I think the court might say
    > if you were incautious enough to click "accept" you have to live with
    > the consequences.
    >

    Wrong. If you sign a blank sheet of paper, it does not give someone else
    licence to write what they like and hold it against you. Of course if you
    try and tell a court what you signed was originally a blank piece of paper,
    the court would not believe you unless you could present some evidence to
    support this.
    Peter, Mar 11, 2006
    #4
  5. Matty F

    Peter Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > What is the legal situation here if I click on "I Accept"?
    >
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg


    On the face of it, there are no conditions applying, and you are required to
    either accept or decline this situation. For example, a user might not
    accept the situation where their rights to use the product are not
    explicitly set out.

    In the real world, it is invariably the party with the larger legal budget
    who prevails. So it might not be wise to push your luck, regardless of
    whether you are in the right or not.

    IANAL YMMV etc

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Mar 11, 2006
    #5
  6. Matty F

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:42:54 +1300, Matty F wrote:

    Back to the header people. There is a *new* Microsoft?
    Gordon, Mar 12, 2006
    #6
  7. Matty F

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:36:38 +1300, Peter wrote:

    > Wrong. If you sign a blank sheet of paper, it does not give someone else
    > licence to write what they like and hold it against you. Of course if you
    > try and tell a court what you signed was originally a blank piece of paper,
    > the court would not believe you unless you could present some evidence to
    > support this.


    For Pete's sake. You sign a blank sheet of paper and do not get a copy?

    Hint gentle reader. Try to to make two of your signatures exact copies.
    See now why digital copies are flawed?

    Read each signature from the pen of your hand is one of a kind.
    Gordon, Mar 12, 2006
    #7
  8. Matty F

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg


    That link doesn't work for me (blank page or the text
    'http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg') in Firefox, IE or Opera. XP 64.
    Nik Coughlin, Mar 12, 2006
    #8
  9. Matty F

    Andrew Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg

    >
    > That link doesn't work for me (blank page or the text
    > 'http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg') in Firefox, IE or Opera. XP 64.
    >
    >

    same:

    While trying to retrieve the URL: http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg

    The following error was encountered:

    * Connection Failed

    The system returned:

    (111) Connection refused

    The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.
    Andrew, Mar 13, 2006
    #9
  10. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    >
    >>http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg

    >
    >
    > That link doesn't work for me (blank page or the text
    > 'http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg') in Firefox, IE or Opera. XP 64.


    It is OK at the moment, with Mozilla and IE.
    It basically shows a blank page with only two options to click on
    - [I Accept] or [I Decline]

    Since I have a screen capture of it as evidence, I guess that
    Microsoft cannot hold me to anything at all if I accept it.
    Matty F, Mar 13, 2006
    #10
  11. "Matty F" <> wrote in message
    news:cVxQf.5586$...
    > What is the legal situation here if I click on "I Accept"?
    >
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg
    >
    > I don't suppose it's any use telling Microsoft or xtra about this bug. Or
    > is it deliberate? Yes I'm using Mozilla because it has fewer bugs and more
    > features than IE.
    >


    Hi Matty,
    I emailed one of our internal Hotmail discussion aliases about this over the
    weekend. Is it repeatable or was it a one-off ?

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ
    Brett Roberts, Mar 13, 2006
    #11
  12. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    Brett Roberts wrote:
    > "Matty F" <> wrote in message
    > news:cVxQf.5586$...
    >
    >>What is the legal situation here if I click on "I Accept"?
    >>
    >>http://tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg
    >>
    >>I don't suppose it's any use telling Microsoft or xtra about this bug. Or
    >>is it deliberate? Yes I'm using Mozilla because it has fewer bugs and more
    >>features than IE.
    >>

    >
    >
    > Hi Matty,
    > I emailed one of our internal Hotmail discussion aliases about this over the
    > weekend. Is it repeatable or was it a one-off ?
    >
    > Brett Roberts
    > Microsoft NZ


    It happened when I signed into my hotmail account and was told
    that my account had expired and all my messages had been deleted.
    I was invited to reactivate the account and the near-blank screen
    occurred. It now occurs each time I sign in.
    All of the other links on that page (TERMS OF USE, Privacy
    Statement, Anti-Spam Policy) also show as blank.
    There is no way to sign off except by accepting or declining the
    blank page.

    This gives me a mostly blank page with IE or Mozilla:
    http://privacy2.msn.com/anti-spam/en-nz/default.aspx

    I don't think it's anything at my end. My Yahoo account works fine.
    Matty F, Mar 13, 2006
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Matt
    Replies:
    24
    Views:
    1,097
    Consultant
    Sep 2, 2003
  2. HamMan

    TERMS AND CONDITIONS VIOLATION

    HamMan, Sep 2, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    472
  3. HamMan

    TERMS AND CONDITIONS VIOLATION

    HamMan, Sep 2, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    409
    HamMan
    Sep 2, 2003
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Terms and Conditions enforcement. rant

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 23, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    534
    Scooter
    Jun 1, 2005
  5. Ralph Fox

    Paradise.net Terms & Conditions

    Ralph Fox, Oct 28, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    364
    joe_90
    Oct 29, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page