New messgae

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jack Spratt, Jul 4, 2009.

  1. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    Been a vista user for 18-24 months.
    Just now out of the blue I get a ballon tip in the system tray that I have
    never come across before.
    Windows is telling me I have a problem yet I never noticed! Being a video
    problem you'd think I would have.
    Is this a new feature via Windows update or something that's always been
    there but never felt the need to show it's face?
    The alert I mean not the problem...

    ------
    Description
    A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

    Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.6
    Locale ID: 5129

    Files that help describe the problem
    WD-20090703-2055.dmp
    sysdata.xml
    Version.txt

    View a temporary copy of these files
    Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a
    copy of the files could harm your computer.

    Extra information about the problem
    BCCode: 117
    BCP1: 8484D510
    BCP2: 8BE18400
    BCP3: 0000000F
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_0_6002
    Service Pack: 2_0
    Product: 256_1
    -----

    I just clicked ok and carried on as I was so didn't read the txt/xml.

    Jack Spratt, Jul 4, 2009

  2. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Bobs" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Spratt wrote:
    >> Been a vista user for 18-24 months.
    >> Just now out of the blue I get a ballon tip in the system tray that I
    >> have never come across before.
    >> Windows is telling me I have a problem yet I never noticed! Being a video
    >> problem you'd think I would have.
    >> Is this a new feature via Windows update or something that's always been
    >> there but never felt the need to show it's face?
    >> The alert I mean not the problem...
    >>
    >> ------
    >> Description
    >> A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working
    >> correctly.
    >>
    >> Problem signature
    >> Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
    >> OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.6
    >> Locale ID: 5129
    >>
    >> Files that help describe the problem
    >> WD-20090703-2055.dmp
    >> sysdata.xml
    >> Version.txt
    >>
    >> View a temporary copy of these files
    >> Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening
    >> a copy of the files could harm your computer.
    >>
    >> Extra information about the problem
    >> BCCode: 117
    >> BCP1: 8484D510
    >> BCP2: 8BE18400
    >> BCP3: 0000000F
    >> BCP4: 00000000
    >> OS Version: 6_0_6002
    >> Service Pack: 2_0
    >> Product: 256_1
    >> -----
    >>
    >> I just clicked ok and carried on as I was so didn't read the txt/xml.
    >>

    > Did your screen flicker, temp go to black or whatever before this popped
    > up? Unlike XP, Vista will attempt to recover from a crashed driver hence
    > the message.
    >
    > It it keeps happening I'd update your video card driver.
    >
    > --
    > What do Michael Jackson and Santa Claus have in common?
    >
    > They both leave little boys' rooms with an empty sack

    Nope, not a thing. Would be none the wiser had it not been for this
    previously unseen bubble.
    No hardware changes on this 1.5-2yr old Vista box since the day it was
    born - hence me wondering if this was a new "feature"

    Only thing I was doing around the time which may have thrown it a curve ball
    was switching between host and guest on Virtual PC 2007 (Vista/Windows 2.3k)

    Jack Spratt, Jul 4, 2009

  3. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "ofn01" <> wrote in message

    > "Jack Spratt" <> wrote in message
    >> "Bobs" <> wrote in message

    >>> Did your screen flicker, temp go to black or whatever before this popped
    >>> up? Unlike XP, Vista will attempt to recover from a crashed driver hence
    >>> the message.
    >>>
    >>> It it keeps happening I'd update your video card driver.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> What do Michael Jackson and Santa Claus have in common?
    >>>
    >>> They both leave little boys' rooms with an empty sack

    >> Nope, not a thing. Would be none the wiser had it not been for this
    >> previously unseen bubble.
    >> No hardware changes on this 1.5-2yr old Vista box since the day it was
    >> born - hence me wondering if this was a new "feature"
    >>
    >> Only thing I was doing around the time which may have thrown it a curve
    >> ball was switching between host and guest on Virtual PC 2007
    >> (Vista/Windows 2.3k)
    >>

    > Did you have a look at the details in the event viewer?
    >
    > Just type 'event' into the search box at the bottom of the start menu.
    >
    > Look at the details of the event.

    Didn't look anywhere (but very capable of checking the norm places), was
    more the messenger than the message I was asking after

    Jack Spratt, Jul 4, 2009
  4. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "ofn01" <> wrote in message

    > "Jack Spratt" <> wrote in message
    >> "ofn01" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Did you have a look at the details in the event viewer?
    >>>
    >>> Just type 'event' into the search box at the bottom of the start menu.
    >>>
    >>> Look at the details of the event.
    >>>

    >> Didn't look anywhere (but very capable of checking the norm places), was
    >> more the messenger than the message I was asking after

    > Ah right,
    >
    > Well short answer, Vista has always had the taskbar popup for certain
    > event viewer messages. It was a big thing in the early days with the
    > infamous nvidia driver issues where games would exit to the desktop and
    > there would be a small balloon from the taskbar showing the basic details.
    >
    > I would investigate it further if I was you.

    Haven't seen hide nor hair since.
    Perhaps it was a symptom of switching between the host/guest (Vista/Win2.3k)
    environments using Virtual PC and "one of those things"
    Will dig deeper if it comes back a second time. Thanks.

    Jack Spratt, Jul 11, 2009