New MCTS/MCPD - cheat proof?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Anthony Paul, May 2, 2007.

  1. Anthony Paul

    Anthony Paul Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I'm a seasoned veteran programmer (20+ years) and I'm currently
    studying to take the MCTS/MCPD certifications (all 7). I plan on
    taking these certifications because, unlike the "paper" MCSD
    certifications, these are supposed to be very tough exams and as such
    should serve as a reliable indicator of the overall technical mastery
    achieved by the test-taker.

    My question is : has Microsoft taken measures to assure MCTS/MCPD
    certification holders that their value will not be dilluted by "paper"
    MCTS/MCPD's? More specifically, are the questions the same for every
    test allowing someone to come in with a hidden camera and ultimately
    produce brain-dumps that any joe could memorize? I would hope that
    they have made brain-dumps extremely hard to produce if not
    impossible, else I don't see the point to my taking this new line of
    certifications either.

    Any thoughts?

    Regards,

    Anthony

    Anthony Paul, May 2, 2007

  2. Anthony Paul

    Thor Guest

    > Hello everyone,

    Greetings!

    > I'm a seasoned veteran programmer (20+ years) and I'm currently
    > studying to take the MCTS/MCPD certifications (all 7). I plan on
    > taking these certifications because, unlike the "paper" MCSD
    > certifications, these are supposed to be very tough exams and as such
    > should serve as a reliable indicator of the overall technical mastery
    > achieved by the test-taker.

    The exams are, in my opinion hard, but does not measure skill as much as
    memorizing api. I believe MS is still working on that.

    > My question is : has Microsoft taken measures to assure MCTS/MCPD
    > certification holders that their value will not be dilluted by "paper"
    > MCTS/MCPD's? More specifically, are the questions the same for every
    > test allowing someone to come in with a hidden camera and ultimately
    > produce brain-dumps that any joe could memorize? I would hope that
    > they have made brain-dumps extremely hard to produce if not
    > impossible, else I don't see the point to my taking this new line of
    > certifications either.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    It is possible to cheat, I think.
    But the new tests uses unscored, always new, random assurance questions to
    test if it is likely that you are cheating. (for many advanced questions you
    answer correct, it is possible to create easier control questions, eg: for
    WINAPI it could mean that a correctly answered MapViewOfFile Q would be
    controlled by a questions about CreateFile/CloseHandle, if you fail the easy
    question you get the hard one scored wrong, too).
    Well, this is what I hope, anyway...

    53

    Thor, May 2, 2007

  3. Anthony Paul

    Anthony Paul Guest

    Interesting!! Where did you hear that? Is there a link regarding the
    random question generation and measures that MS is taking to counter
    braindumps?? If they implement the system you've mentioned then I
    don't think cheating would be possible at all... unless someone gets
    access to the exam software of course, but I would think those would
    be under some serious heavy-duty lock and key.

    Regards,

    Anthony

    Anthony Paul, May 2, 2007
  4. They started doing this some time ago. It's called "adaptive testing".

    There's a white-paper from them on it at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/downloads/adapt.doc

    .... I don't know to what degree the current generation of certs do this. It
    would be interesting to find out.

    --
    Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, Microsoft C# MVP
    http://www.coversant.com/blogs/cmullins

    Chris Mullins [MVP], May 3, 2007
  5. Anthony Paul

    Thor Guest

    Thanks.
    I never heard this, I just think it is the best solution, so if they don't
    do this maybe they will some time later.
    "Well, this is what I hope, anyway..."...
    There are some pretty smart people working on this, so if I can think of
    this solution they can too. If a solution to the problrm aligns with the
    business side and they have enough resources, the future is bright.
    53

    Thor, May 4, 2007
  6. Anthony Paul

    brett Guest