    Any insights you guys and gals can share would be most appreciated.

    Regards,

    Steve Swallow
    Steven Swallow, Oct 11, 2004

  2. Steven Swallow

    Ralf Guest

    Steven, we all have a time limit my friend... it's just
    that most of us don't know what it is...

    Good luck with your studies though.

    first of the Core
    >exams 70-290). My workplace is unwilling to pay, so

    I've decided to self
    >study and get out of my "go nowhere" job.
    >
    >As a noob (although I've been in the IT trade for about

    8 years, from
    >Helpdesk through to NT4 and Wink2K Server installs,

    network design and
    >upgrades etc), I wondered if any of you guys had some

    insights and
    >suggestions, pitfalls to watch out for etc.
    >
    >I'm self studying from the MS Press books and will only

    do courses if I have
    >to (like I say, I'm funding it myself). I'm hoping to

    do roughly one exam
    >every 2 months. Do I have a time limit from when I get

    my first exam to

    Ralf, Oct 11, 2004

  3. Steven Swallow

    Doom Guest

    "Steven Swallow" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've just started studying my MCSE (starting with the first of the Core
    > exams 70-290). My workplace is unwilling to pay, so I've decided to self
    > study and get out of my "go nowhere" job.

    I think it's good that you want to get certified but my question is this: In
    this job market where are you planning on going to?
    Doom, Oct 11, 2004
  4. Steven Swallow

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Oct 11, 2004 at 10:25am "Doom" blathered:

    > I think it's good that you want to get certified but my question is
    > this: In this job market where are you planning on going to?

    Isn't that Microsoft's new slogan: Where did you want to go today?

    --
    TechGeekPro, MCNGP #36
    MCNGP.com - We're here to help!
    TechGeekPro, Oct 11, 2004
  5. You have at least a couple of years if you are going the Windows 2003 route.
    I would not rely on one book for each test though. I HIGHLY recommend that
    you also use Mark Minasi's mastering Windows 2003 Server as a learning book.
    It is not an MCSE book but it is very good at explaining concepts with lots
    of real world examples, explanations, and many tricks and traps throughout.
    Also take advantage of the free resources at Microsoft's website such as the
    various white papers and the Widows 2003 Server Deployment Kit as shown in
    the first link below. You will find the built in Windows help files also
    extremely valuable learning tool. Right clicking a setting or dragging the ?
    mark [from top right hand corner of a pop up box] to the setting will often
    open the help file for that setting.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/reskit/deploykit.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/topics/hardsys/tcg/tcgch00.mspx --
    Great security reference for your studies.
    http://labmice.techtarget.com/windows2003/default.htm -- Labmice site.
    Tremendous amount of information available in a well organized site.

    If you are disciplined and can learn on your own I suggest you forget
    classes and instead sep up a small test network at home with at least three
    computers. You can do that with one monitor if need be and use a KVM switch
    to switch between computers and/or use Remote Desktop. You can get used Dell
    computers for around $150 shipped with thirty day warranty on Ebay [no
    monitor]. A 500Mhz with minimum 128 ram or better yet 256 ram and a hard
    drive of at least 5G would be great. A 5G drive would allow you to have dual
    boot operating systems to give you great flexability in scenrios with three
    computers. I have passed 15 exams with no classroom time and never came
    close to failing one. However do NOT get too bummed out if you fail one,
    just consider it a learning experience and be determined to be better
    prepared the next time. Good luck. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Oct 12, 2004
  6. Steven Swallow

    Consultant Guest

    is your moms' name robin?

    Consultant, Oct 12, 2004
  7. Steven Swallow

    Neil Guest

    incase you missed it "Doom" <> said in

    > In
    > this job market where are you planning on going to?

    _from_ Burger King to McDonald's or the other way around?

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Oct 12, 2004
  8. Steven Swallow

    Neil Guest

    incase you missed it "Steven Swallow" <>
    said in news:ckcfgl$ck2$:

    > I'm self studying from the MS Press books and will only do courses if
    > I have to (like I say, I'm funding it myself). I'm hoping to do
    > roughly one exam every 2 months. Do I have a time limit from when I
    > get my first exam to when I get my last?

    no time limits so you may want to (if anything) add some extra study time
    in there. spend lots of time USING teh product. you can get free
    downloads of Most of the software from MS (time limited eval copies) that
    woudl be ideal for study. consider getting a copy of VMWare or MS's VPC
    so that you can run multiple OS's on a single box. also consider getting
    multiple PC's to test some of the networking functionality. Good luck...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Oct 12, 2004
  9. Steven Swallow

    Neil Guest

    incase you missed it "Consultant" <> said in

    > is your moms' name robin?

    formerly Spitz?

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Oct 12, 2004
  10. Steven Swallow

    JaR Guest

    > incase you missed it "Doom" <> said in
    >
    >> In
    >> this job market where are you planning on going to?
    >>

    > _from_ Burger King to McDonald's or the other way around?

    Movin' up.

    Going to work for Dennys.

    JaR
    Promotional Candidate
    JaR, Oct 12, 2004
  11. Steven Swallow

    Neil Guest

    incase you missed it JaR <> said in

    > Movin' up.
    >
    > Going to work for Dennys.

    scr3w dat, I hear Home Depot is hirin'

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Oct 12, 2004
  12. Steven,

    Thanks for all the links, they look like they'll be very useful! Regarding
    my home set-up, I'm way ahead of you mate! I already have a Server set up
    with Windows Server 2003, and PC with XP Pro SP2 (although SP2 might come
    off if it gives me any more grief) and a laptop I can use as a second client
    if need be.

    All hooked up to a KVM switch!

    As for failing exams, I'm obviously going to be taking plenty of mock exams
    before I go to an exam...like I say, I'm funding it myself and I don't have
    an unlimited supply of money!

    Thanks for all the help, I'll certainly stay in touch with this newsgroup.

    Steve Swallow

    Steven Swallow, Oct 12, 2004
  13. No,

    Although my list of friends is quite scary;

    Dean Raven
    Dan Crow
    Stuart Crane

    Bird based surnames seem to be quite popular 'round these parts...

    Steve

    Steven Swallow, Oct 12, 2004
  14. Steven Swallow

    JaR Guest

    > incase you missed it JaR <> said in
    >
    >> Movin' up.
    >>
    >> Going to work for Dennys.

    > scr3w dat, I hear Home Depot is hirin'

    Kewl! I wanna work in Power Tools.

    JaR
    Connected Candidate
    JaR, Oct 12, 2004
  15. Steven Swallow

    Consultant Guest

    uh, wait a sec, you ruined my funny

    Consultant, Oct 12, 2004
  16. Steven Swallow

    > uh, wait a sec, you ruined my funny

    guess you should have started with "does your wife?"

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Oct 12, 2004
  17. Thus, I shall say "HA!" haughtily. ;)

    Steven Swallow, Oct 12, 2004
  18. Steven Swallow

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Steven Swallow climbed on a soapbox
    & opined:

    > Thus, I shall say "HA!" haughtily. ;)
    >
    > "Consultant" <> wrote in message
    >> uh, wait a sec, you ruined my funny

    *Golf clap*
    JaR, Oct 12, 2004
  19. JaR wrote:
    > In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Steven Swallow climbed on a
    > soapbox & opined:
    >
    >> Thus, I shall say "HA!" haughtily. ;)
    >>
    >> "Consultant" <> wrote in message
    >>> uh, wait a sec, you ruined my funny
    >>>

    > *Golf clap*

    He's allright in my eBook.
    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Oct 13, 2004