new MB - vmp54g no network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by jrbareta, Mar 9, 2005.

  1. jrbareta

    jrbareta Guest

    I recently moved to a abit AV8 mb from a Soyo kt333 ultra platinum. I
    moved the hard drives to a thermaltake shark case and installed the av8 mb
    and transfered linksys vmp54g wireless adapter which was working fine on the
    old system.
    I now see that when I start the new system there is a yellow ! on the
    netword adapter in device manager and an code 10 error. When I reinstall a
    driver I can get the adapter to go to ok status, but when I try to start the
    wireless I get no networks in range.
    Things tried:
    stopped wireless 0 - and restarted
    moved the wireless card to different PCI slot - no effect
    moved the wireless adapter back to original system - works ok
    reinstalled drivers - no effect
    uninstalled and reinstalled wireless card from device manager - no effect
    contacted linksys - no effect

    I also have a laptop 3 ft away from the tower - works fine and I can connect
    the tower to the vmt54g router thru an ethernet cable - works ok.

    I would appreciate any help.

    jrbareta, Mar 9, 2005

  2. Hi,

    I'm not exactly sure what could be causing this problem and it appears that
    you've already done quite a bit to fix the issue. Do you have anything else
    plugged into the PCI bus? Does the card get detected if you uninstall the
    driver and then rescan?

    If you were able to successfully install the driver and there are no device
    conflicts shown in the device manager then I would suggest trying a program
    called NetStumbler that will use your card to scan all the beacons that are
    available. I would suggest installing this and seeing if you can detect
    anything being beaconed in your area. You can install the program from
    http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

    If you are able to see beacons in your area then the card and bus are
    working properly and we can look at the Zero Configuration Service logs. To
    enable tracing do the following

    1.. Click Start -> Run and type CMD and press Enter
    2.. In the command prompt type "netsh ras set tracing * enable"
    3.. Reboot your machine to clean state
    4.. Navigate to your %windir%\tracing directory
    5.. Include the following log files as attachments in your e-mail
    6.. wzctrace.log

    1.. To disable tracing follow the above instructions, but type "netsh ras
    set tracing * disable" in the command window.

    Thanks,
    Gavin [MSFT]

    Gavin Hewitt [MSFT], Mar 14, 2005