    an option.
    Would the Asus Z87-Pro be reasonable? Something else?
    Win XP the "lowest" OS to be used,maybe Win 7 at "best".
    Robert Baer, May 30, 2014

  2. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Looking for a not-expensive, reasonably modern motherboard that is
    > known to be reliable in operation; gaming NOT an option,overclocking NOT
    > an option.
    > Would the Asus Z87-Pro be reasonable? Something else?
    > Win XP the "lowest" OS to be used,maybe Win 7 at "best".

    You can check out the drivers here. And yes, Windows 7 seems
    to be the first OS with full support. It doesn't mean you
    absolutely can't run WinXP on it, it would just be a pain
    to dig up drivers and even research the topic. There's
    a lot of hardware on the board.

    http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Z87-PRO&p=1&s=45

    The VIP forum may have some threads of interest.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=Z87-PRO&SLanguage=en-us

    Your choice rates 4 stars here. And it's a $200 aircraft carrier.
    It has Wifi and Bluetooth on it, which I guess is part of
    justifying the price.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131979

    Read the reviews to see if there are any "failure themes", like
    common problems seen by users.

    CPU support info is here.

    http://support.asus.com/cpu.aspx?SLanguage=en

    It'll take a Core i7-4770K. Of course, you're free to
    select something cheaper.

    http://support.asus.com/Cpusupport/List.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Z87-PRO&p=1&s=45

    The CPU is $340, but it'll last you a while.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116901

    The processor has Extended Page Tables, so you can run Hyper-V
    when Windows 8 is installed. For whatever that is worth.

    http://ark.intel.com/products/75123/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz?q=4770k

    Paul
    Paul, May 30, 2014

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Looking for a not-expensive, reasonably modern motherboard that is
    >> known to be reliable in operation; gaming NOT an option,overclocking
    >> NOT an option.
    >> Would the Asus Z87-Pro be reasonable? Something else?
    >> Win XP the "lowest" OS to be used,maybe Win 7 at "best".
    >>

    > You can check out the drivers here. And yes, Windows 7 seems
    > to be the first OS with full support. It doesn't mean you
    > absolutely can't run WinXP on it, it would just be a pain
    > to dig up drivers and even research the topic. There's
    > a lot of hardware on the board.
    >
    > http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Z87-PRO&p=1&s=45
    >
    > The VIP forum may have some threads of interest.
    >
    > http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=Z87-PRO&SLanguage=en-us
    >

    > Your choice rates 4 stars here. And it's a $200 aircraft carrier.
    > It has Wifi and Bluetooth on it, which I guess is part of
    > justifying the price.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131979
    >
    > Read the reviews to see if there are any "failure themes", like
    > common problems seen by users.
    >
    > CPU support info is here.
    >
    > http://support.asus.com/cpu.aspx?SLanguage=en
    >
    > It'll take a Core i7-4770K. Of course, you're free to
    > select something cheaper.
    >
    > http://support.asus.com/Cpusupport/List.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Z87-PRO&p=1&s=45
    >

    > The CPU is $340, but it'll last you a while.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116901
    >
    > The processor has Extended Page Tables, so you can run Hyper-V
    > when Windows 8 is installed. For whatever that is worth.
    >
    > http://ark.intel.com/products/75123/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz?q=4770k
    >

    > Paul

    Checked the ratings site and found something a lot better with lower
    price; PortaTech quotes:
    Qty SKU Description Unit Price
    cb-intel Combo w/ Intel Core G / Core i3 (Socket 1155)
    w/ Core i3 3240 (2 x 3.4GHz CPU +1050MHz Graphics GPU)
    Intel H61 MB
    2GB DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 2GB - Single Module)
    Systems - Cooling Package 2
    Premium Assemble, Setup, Pretest, & Set CPU FSB & Power / Cooling
    Combo - 1 Year $240.65
    plat-del Platinum Deliv. Plan (Full Insur. - Heavier Packing - On
    Time Guarantee) $6.75
    hdd-500GB-7200-sata3 500GB 7200RPM SATA3 6gb/sec - Hard Drive $49.95
    Total around $350.

    "Reviews" i saw indicated fan not needed, nil on reliability; drivers
    for XP, 7 and 8 included.
    Going to give it a go.
    Thanks.
    Robert Baer, May 30, 2014
  4. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:
    >>> Looking for a not-expensive, reasonably modern motherboard that is
    >>> known to be reliable in operation; gaming NOT an option,overclocking
    >>> NOT an option.
    >>> Would the Asus Z87-Pro be reasonable? Something else?
    >>> Win XP the "lowest" OS to be used,maybe Win 7 at "best".
    >>>

    >> You can check out the drivers here. And yes, Windows 7 seems
    >> to be the first OS with full support. It doesn't mean you
    >> absolutely can't run WinXP on it, it would just be a pain
    >> to dig up drivers and even research the topic. There's
    >> a lot of hardware on the board.
    >>
    >> http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Z87-PRO&p=1&s=45
    >>
    >> The VIP forum may have some threads of interest.
    >>
    >> http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=Z87-PRO&SLanguage=en-us
    >>

    >> Your choice rates 4 stars here. And it's a $200 aircraft carrier.
    >> It has Wifi and Bluetooth on it, which I guess is part of
    >> justifying the price.
    >>
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131979
    >>
    >> Read the reviews to see if there are any "failure themes", like
    >> common problems seen by users.
    >>
    >> CPU support info is here.
    >>
    >> http://support.asus.com/cpu.aspx?SLanguage=en
    >>
    >> It'll take a Core i7-4770K. Of course, you're free to
    >> select something cheaper.
    >>
    >> http://support.asus.com/Cpusupport/List.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Z87-PRO&p=1&s=45
    >>

    >> The CPU is $340, but it'll last you a while.
    >>
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116901
    >>
    >> The processor has Extended Page Tables, so you can run Hyper-V
    >> when Windows 8 is installed. For whatever that is worth.
    >>
    >> http://ark.intel.com/products/75123/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz?q=4770k
    >>

    >> Paul

    > Checked the ratings site and found something a lot better with lower
    > price; PortaTech quotes:
    > Qty SKU Description Unit Price
    > cb-intel Combo w/ Intel Core G / Core i3 (Socket 1155)
    > w/ Core i3 3240 (2 x 3.4GHz CPU +1050MHz Graphics GPU)
    > Intel H61 MB
    > 2GB DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 2GB - Single Module)
    > Systems - Cooling Package 2
    > Premium Assemble, Setup, Pretest, & Set CPU FSB & Power / Cooling
    > Combo - 1 Year $240.65
    > plat-del Platinum Deliv. Plan (Full Insur. - Heavier Packing - On
    > Time Guarantee) $6.75
    > hdd-500GB-7200-sata3 500GB 7200RPM SATA3 6gb/sec - Hard Drive
    > $49.95
    > Total around $350.
    >
    > "Reviews" i saw indicated fan not needed, nil on reliability; drivers
    > for XP, 7 and 8 included.
    > Going to give it a go.
    > Thanks.

    That's a 55W processor. There should be a fan on it. (The package
    is probably including the retail fan that comes with the Intel
    processor.) The back of the case should have a fan as well.
    I was not able to determine who makes their "generic" bundled case.
    When your new build is running, use HDTune to check the hard
    drive temperature, and add cooling if the hard drive is over
    50C operating temp.

    http://ark.intel.com/products/65690/Intel-Core-i3-3240-Processor-3M-Cache-3_40-GHz?q=i3-3240

    http://www.portatech.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=75627&O=75614

    The H61 board has one expansion slot, so limited expansion capability.
    (Consider whether the interfaces provided, are sufficient and
    future-proof.) By being ITX, the power supply that comes with the
    system, will likely have relatively low peak power output. (So you
    can't necessarily fit a $500 video card to this package, without
    changing the power supply.)

    The lack of details on what power supply is in the case,
    means I can't buy it. I don't know if my build has
    enough power or not. Or, whether the power supply
    is easy to change out, if it fails.

    Mini-itx systems can use PICO supplies. You start with
    a 12V or similar wall adapter. A 12V cable runs to a barrel
    connector on the unit. Inside, a DC-DC converter board
    mounts right on top of the main ATX connector. It converts
    the incoming 12V to 5V and 3.3V for the onboard logic. Such
    a PICO concept, saves space inside the chassis, but has an
    upper power limit when it comes to powering components.

    This is an example of a PICO 150W. That's the power chain
    inside the case. This is one of the highest power
    PICO units you can get. Many target lower power levels,
    similar to laptop power levels.

    http://static.mini-itx.com/store/images/1867-picopsu-150-xt.jpg

    An external laptop-style adapter provides DC to run the PICO.
    If the nominal 12V from the adapter drops slightly below
    11V, the hard drive stops spinning. To give some idea what
    tolerances are involved. (The motherboard VCore can be
    a bit more tolerant than that.)

    http://static.mini-itx.com/store/images/1897-01-192W.jpg

    A careful system builder needs a bit of detail, to de-risk
    the build. Portatech isn't providing engineering services
    here. An Intel processor won't overheat, because it has
    throttling to protect it (and also THERMTRIP). But the
    power distribution chain could shut off, if it overheats
    or doesn't have the power needed for the additional components
    you add to your build.

    When I think computers, I think larger units, to de-risk
    the build. Standard ATX supplies are easy to find replacements
    for. I can't buy a PICO at my good computer store. I can buy
    a standard ATX for a mid tower larger build. A mid tower
    has room for a decent motherboard, with plenty of expansion
    slots. My current system has these cards installed at
    the present time:

    Video card (7900 family - old)
    PCI Express parallel port (for JTAG cable)
    PCI Express USB3 card (just added a couple weeks ago)
    TV tuner card
    Sound card

    Just to give you some idea what a six-slot
    motherboard buys you - a lot of convenience.

    Naturally, everyone has a different philosophy
    on computers. One size doesn't fit all. Considering
    how "piggish" modern OSes are, I would not shop
    for less than a 4C 4T or 4C 8T processor today.
    I have a 2C 2T E8400 right now, and it is showing
    its age. Your purchase is 2C 4T, faster than
    mine by a good bit, but still going to be
    slow if you 7ZIP a 500GB file. Your antivirus
    uses a core, your OS maintenance thread wastes
    a core, so having a couple more cores to get
    real work done, is nice. OSes are not headed
    in the efficient Win98 direction. Even web browsers,
    to pretend they're "fast", are offloading part
    of the browsing experience to the video card.
    It's a way of getting more "power" out of the
    hardware at their disposal.

    The graphics core (GPU) inside the 3240 is:

    Processor Graphics Intel HD Graphics 2500

    The 2500 has 6 E.U. or execution units.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units

    Some pictures here, show an Intel GPU being used
    for multimedia purposes. Whether QuickSync
    can be used, has some conditions on it. A lot
    of early motherboards did not properly support
    it (as the GPU needed to be connected to a
    monitor, to allow video decoding for some
    reason). Things like your web browser, might
    eventually be using those facilities. My video
    card, being older, can contribute nothing
    to that effort.

    Can you go with that build ? Sure. But be
    prepared to have to change something out,
    if it runs too hot, doesn't have the expansion
    or I/O you need and so on.

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, May 31, 2014
  5. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
> [...]

    > It's a way of getting more "power" out of the
    > hardware at their disposal.
    >
    > The graphics core (GPU) inside the 3240 is:
    >
    > Processor Graphics Intel HD Graphics 2500
    >
    > The 2500 has 6 E.U. or execution units.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units
    >
    > Some pictures here, show an Intel GPU being used
    > for multimedia purposes. Whether QuickSync
    > can be used, has some conditions on it. A lot
    > of early motherboards did not properly support
    > it (as the GPU needed to be connected to a
    > monitor, to allow video decoding for some
    > reason). Things like your web browser, might
    > eventually be using those facilities. My video
    > card, being older, can contribute nothing
    > to that effort.
    >
    > Can you go with that build ? Sure. But be
    > prepared to have to change something out,
    > if it runs too hot, doesn't have the expansion

    This is to replace a zapped MB in a full tower.
    Got that system ages ago and do not remember specifics (CPU, supply,
    etc); it has been in Addis Ababa, where it died from power surge.
    General use is to edit and create info for various local agencies and
    international orgs.
    I just pray that this uneducated replacement will be useful for the
    next 5 years.
    I expect that Win XP will be used,as that has been their mainstay.

    Thanks.
    Robert Baer, May 31, 2014
  6. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > This is to replace a zapped MB in a full tower.
    > Got that system ages ago and do not remember specifics (CPU, supply,
    > etc); it has been in Addis Ababa, where it died from power surge.
    > General use is to edit and create info for various local agencies and
    > international orgs.
    > I just pray that this uneducated replacement will be useful for the
    > next 5 years.
    > I expect that Win XP will be used,as that has been their mainstay.
    >
    > Thanks.

    The board will be plenty good for text editing.

    The thing about ITX systems, is you probably don't get
    good at it, until you build your second one. After you've
    had a chance to review any mistakes on the first one.

    You should probably check that the graphics connector
    on the ITX box, matches whatever you plan to use for
    an LCD monitor.

    Paul
    Paul, May 31, 2014
  7. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >> This is to replace a zapped MB in a full tower.
    >> Got that system ages ago and do not remember specifics (CPU, supply,
    >> etc); it has been in Addis Ababa, where it died from power surge.
    >> General use is to edit and create info for various local agencies and
    >> international orgs.
    >> I just pray that this uneducated replacement will be useful for the
    >> next 5 years.
    >> I expect that Win XP will be used,as that has been their mainstay.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > The board will be plenty good for text editing.
    >
    > The thing about ITX systems, is you probably don't get
    > good at it, until you build your second one. After you've
    > had a chance to review any mistakes on the first one.
    >
    > You should probably check that the graphics connector
    > on the ITX box, matches whatever you plan to use for
    > an LCD monitor.
    >
    > Paul

    In Ethiopia, "LCD? What is that?" "Oh, you mean laptop."

    They will use the built-in (on board) video to drive a CRT monitor.
    How in the heck do you know the MB is ITX?
    The baby bird indicated fanless, natural convection design for a
    mini-ITX enclosure. Certainly a full tower that has fans in front and
    back will more than do the job.
    Problem is power connectors from the old PS..anything special other
    than the SATA ones?
    And if i need to get another PS, how in the heck do i ensure the
    mounting will work in the old enclosure?
    The less i must ship, the less the bribes (err--duty).
    Robert Baer, Jun 1, 2014
  8. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is to replace a zapped MB in a full tower.
    >>> Got that system ages ago and do not remember specifics (CPU, supply,
    >>> etc); it has been in Addis Ababa, where it died from power surge.
    >>> General use is to edit and create info for various local agencies and
    >>> international orgs.
    >>> I just pray that this uneducated replacement will be useful for the
    >>> next 5 years.
    >>> I expect that Win XP will be used,as that has been their mainstay.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> The board will be plenty good for text editing.
    >>
    >> The thing about ITX systems, is you probably don't get
    >> good at it, until you build your second one. After you've
    >> had a chance to review any mistakes on the first one.
    >>
    >> You should probably check that the graphics connector
    >> on the ITX box, matches whatever you plan to use for
    >> an LCD monitor.
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>

    > In Ethiopia, "LCD? What is that?" "Oh, you mean laptop."
    >
    > They will use the built-in (on board) video to drive a CRT monitor.
    > How in the heck do you know the MB is ITX?
    > The baby bird indicated fanless, natural convection design for a
    > mini-ITX enclosure. Certainly a full tower that has fans in front and
    > back will more than do the job.
    > Problem is power connectors from the old PS..anything special other
    > than the SATA ones?
    > And if i need to get another PS, how in the heck do i ensure the
    > mounting will work in the old enclosure?
    > The less i must ship, the less the bribes (err--duty).

    Are you planning on fitting a mini-ITX motherboard in
    an ATX tower case ? I thought you were buying a small case
    for it as well.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-itx

    "The four mounting holes in a Mini-ITX board line up
    with four of the holes in ATX-specification motherboards,
    and the locations of the backplate and expansion slot
    are the same (though one of the holes used was optional
    in earlier versions of the ATX spec). Mini-ITX boards
    can therefore often be used in cases designed for ATX,
    micro-ATX and other ATX variants if desired."

    If you look at the board photo, you can see it has an
    ATX power connector. Your tower power supply can go there.
    On modern computers, a potential issue is the motherboard
    drawing too little power from the power supply, and not
    meeting the minimum load. I doubt that is going to be the
    case with this build. It might be more of an issue with a
    Haswell generation build.

    I guessed it was mini-ITX, upon seeing a single expansion
    slot. Instead of the three expansion slots of a microATX,
    or the six expansion slots (or more) of a full sized ATX.
    The number of full sized ATX slots can vary, if the
    chipset heatsink happens to protrude into the slot
    area.

    In the mini-itx article, you can see there are several
    sizes of ITX. As well as the Intel NUC format, which
    is also a smaller kind of computer. The NUC usually
    comes with the box in place, and is equivalent to
    the base of a laptop, sort of.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_nuc

    If your "IT helper" in Ethiopia is not prepared to do
    the work of a system builder/integrator, it may be a
    mistake to just ship some raw motherboard as a replacement.
    The drivers will be different, the OS could need to be
    reinstalled. If I had a field problem like that to solve,
    I would build and ship a complete and tested computer
    case (OS and all), to the site. Expecting my IT helper
    to plug in the CRT, keyboard, mouse, power cable, and
    up it comes. Just shipping a mis-matched motherboard,
    is asking for troubles.

    If you must limit yourself to sending a motherboard,
    why not use the power of Ebay to locate an exact
    replacement ? Perhaps that will have fewer
    side effects, and stress out your "IT helper".

    And for that matter, how have you confirmed the motherboard
    is bad, and not the power supply ? Were you on-site to
    verify the failed component ? Maybe the mobo gets there,
    and your helper reports "no joy"...

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 1, 2014
  9. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
> [...]

    > the work of a system builder/integrator, it may be a
    > mistake to just ship some raw motherboard as a replacement.
    > The drivers will be different, the OS could need to be
    > reinstalled. If I had a field problem like that to solve,
    > I would build and ship a complete and tested computer
    > case (OS and all), to the site. Expecting my IT helper
    > to plug in the CRT, keyboard, mouse, power cable, and
    > up it comes. Just shipping a mis-matched motherboard,
    > is asking for troubles.
    >
    > If you must limit yourself to sending a motherboard,
    > why not use the power of Ebay to locate an exact
    > replacement ? Perhaps that will have fewer
    > side effects, and stress out your "IT helper".
    >
    > And for that matter, how have you confirmed the motherboard
    > is bad, and not the power supply ? Were you on-site to
    > verify the failed component ? Maybe the mobo gets there,

    There are three helpers working together which adds to the
    reliability of the reports.
    But your idea of a complete system is slightly better.
    "Slightly" comes from the fact that if customs "sees" a complete
    useable computer, they will double (at minimum) the fee/duty, which
    could then be in the region of $1000.
    Guess i will do the dirty trick of a) put complete system together
    (w/case, PS), b) set-up OS & do needed driver fiddling, c) take it apart
    enough to look like junk/scrap, d) ship pieces separately at different
    times.
    Robert Baer, Jun 1, 2014