    the slave. It shows up o the device manager, and says that there are no
    problems, the device is working properly. However, it does not show up on
    My Computer. Where is it?
    PuppyKatt, Nov 13, 2004

  2. PuppyKatt

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "PuppyKatt" <> wrote in message
    news:3mdld.7503$...
    | My son just bought a new 80gig Maxtor, 7200 rpm. I installed it for him
    as
    | the slave. It shows up o the device manager, and says that there are no
    | problems, the device is working properly. However, it does not show up on
    | My Computer. Where is it?

    Windows XP? Right-click "My Computer", select "Manage". Go down to Disk
    Managment. You need to partition and format the drive from there.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 13, 2004

  3. PuppyKatt

    doS Guest

    Did you format it?

    doS, Nov 13, 2004
  4. PuppyKatt

    Unk Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:23:32 -0600, "PuppyKatt" <> wrote:

    >My son just bought a new 80gig Maxtor, 7200 rpm. I installed it for him as
    >the slave. It shows up o the device manager, and says that there are no
    >problems, the device is working properly. However, it does not show up on
    >My Computer. Where is it?

    HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

    1 - Boot computer, enter BIOS, make SURE new drive's been seen correctly, boot
    normally.
    2 - Right click "My Computer", select "Manage", click "Disk Management"
    3 - Look for listing "Drive 1" (Drive 0 is your WinXP Drive C:)
    4 - Right-click the Button "Disk 1 Unknown xxx.xx GB Not Initialized", Select
    "Initialize Disk"
    5 - Right-click the window area that says "xxx.x GB" with "Unallocated" under
    it, and
    6 - Select "New Partition". The Setup Wizard pops-up, click Next.
    7 - Select "Primary Partition", click Next.
    8 - Select "Partition Size", accept Default (the whole thing), click Next.
    9 - "Assign Following Drive Letter", accept Default, accept Default Volume Name,
    click Next.
    10 - "Format this Partition"; "File System", accept Default [NTFS],
    "Allocation Size", accept Default, and check the box, "Perform Quick
    Format",
    and click Next, then "Finish". NOW WAIT UNTIL IT'S DONE.
    11 - Now look at "Drive 1", it has "Basic" under it and now the window says,
    "New Volume (D:)", under it is "xxx.xx GB NTFS" and under that is
    "Healthy"
    12 - Right-click the window again and select "Mark Partition as Active"
    13 - Now look at "Drive 1", it has "Basic" under it but now the window says,
    "New Volume (D:)", under it is "xxx.xx GB NTFS" and under that is
    "Healthy (Active)"
    14 - That's it, you're done. Drive (D:) is ready for data, an OS, or a backup of
    your Drive (C:).

    Start to finish on a new 80 GB drive takes less than 10 minutes if you "Quick
    Format" it and better than an hour if you "Full Format" it.
    Change the defaults to your liking, and your mileage may vary.
    Unk, Nov 13, 2004
  5. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    BINGO. Thank you. I have never installed a new hard drive before, so I had
    no idea about this step. Currently formatting. My son says thanks a lot.

    PuppyKatt, Nov 13, 2004
  6. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Thanks Unk. My son wondered about the time involved, and I told him "a
    loong time for an 80gig format." He saw your reply, as well as the replies
    from Toolman Tim and doS. Many thanks to all of you. BTW, when I was
    formatting a stack of floppies the other day, Dad said to "never select
    quick format," but he did not say why. What is the difference between quick
    and full, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

    PuppyKatt, Nov 13, 2004
  7. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    In the process of doing that now, thanks to Toolman Tim and Unk. Thanks
    doS.

    PuppyKatt, Nov 13, 2004
  8. PuppyKatt

    doS Guest

    from microsoft:
    When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from
    the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad
    sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the
    time that it takes to format a volume.

    If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the
    partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option
    if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your
    hard disk is not damaged.

    doS, Nov 13, 2004
  9. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Thank you for that info.

    PuppyKatt, Nov 13, 2004
  10. PuppyKatt

    Toolman Tim Guest

    You're welcome!

    "PuppyKatt" <> wrote in message
    | BINGO. Thank you. I have never installed a new hard drive before, so I
    had
    | no idea about this step. Currently formatting. My son says thanks a lot.
    |
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "PuppyKatt" <> wrote in message
    | > | My son just bought a new 80gig Maxtor, 7200 rpm. I installed it for
    him
    | > as
    | > | the slave. It shows up o the device manager, and says that there are
    no
    | > | problems, the device is working properly. However, it does not show
    up
    | > on
    | > | My Computer. Where is it?
    | > |
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Nov 13, 2004
  11. PuppyKatt wrote:

    >What is the difference between quick and full, what are the

    advantages/disadvantages of each?

    A quick format destroys less data than a normal/full format and
    therefore is harder to recover. However, neither are secure against
    somebody who knows what they are doing. I've heard it said by someone
    who recovers data for a living that they can recover about 50% on a disk
    with a normal format while an easy format allows for 100%.

    Someone who has the right equipment (usually only the government does)
    can recover just about anything, even on a destroyed disk.

    If you are worried about your private information get a program that
    actually overwrites the data (try googling 'cleansweep') and run it at
    least three times. Once with all 0s, once with all 1s, and once random.

    --
    Fluidly Unsure
    fluidly unsure, Nov 13, 2004
  12. In article <> Unk <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:23:32 -0600, "PuppyKatt" <> wrote:
    >
    >>My son just bought a new 80gig Maxtor, 7200 rpm. I installed it for him as
    >>the slave. It shows up o the device manager, and says that there are no
    >>problems, the device is working properly. However, it does not show up on
    >>My Computer. Where is it?
    >>

    >HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348
    >
    >1 - Boot computer, enter BIOS, make SURE new drive's been seen correctly, boot
    >normally.
    >2 - Right click "My Computer", select "Manage", click "Disk Management"
    >3 - Look for listing "Drive 1" (Drive 0 is your WinXP Drive C:)
    >4 - Right-click the Button "Disk 1 Unknown xxx.xx GB Not Initialized", Select
    >"Initialize Disk"
    >5 - Right-click the window area that says "xxx.x GB" with "Unallocated" under
    >it, and
    >6 - Select "New Partition". The Setup Wizard pops-up, click Next.
    >7 - Select "Primary Partition", click Next.
    >8 - Select "Partition Size", accept Default (the whole thing), click Next.
    >9 - "Assign Following Drive Letter", accept Default, accept Default Volume Name,
    >click Next.
    >10 - "Format this Partition"; "File System", accept Default [NTFS],
    > "Allocation Size", accept Default, and check the box, "Perform Quick
    >Format",
    > and click Next, then "Finish". NOW WAIT UNTIL IT'S DONE.
    >11 - Now look at "Drive 1", it has "Basic" under it and now the window says,
    > "New Volume (D:)", under it is "xxx.xx GB NTFS" and under that is
    >"Healthy"
    >12 - Right-click the window again and select "Mark Partition as Active"
    >13 - Now look at "Drive 1", it has "Basic" under it but now the window says,
    > "New Volume (D:)", under it is "xxx.xx GB NTFS" and under that is
    >"Healthy (Active)"
    >14 - That's it, you're done. Drive (D:) is ready for data, an OS, or a backup of
    >your Drive (C:).

    Assign following drive letter, accept default, accept default volume
    name, click next.

    >Start to finish on a new 80 GB drive takes less than 10 minutes if you "Quick
    >Format" it and better than an hour if you "Full Format" it.
    >Change the defaults to your liking, and your mileage may vary.

    You ain't leading but two things right now: Jack and shite. And Jack
    just left town.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Admission that Lady Chatterly kicked your ass noted." -- Daedalus
    Lady Chatterly, Nov 13, 2004
  13. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    I will keep that in mind for later. Thank you for the information. For
    now, however, full erasure is not essential because the drive has never been
    used, but full format is, for the sake of looking for bad sectors before
    using. I once had a 'brand new' hard drive installed, and it came with bad
    sectors. Fdisk helped temporarily isolate them, but like a cancer, they
    eventually ate the hard drive. The pricks where I bought the drive from
    refused to refund or replace unless I took my computer to them, and let it
    sit there for several weeks while they first checked it out, then sent it to
    the manufacturer, then waited for the return or replacement, then install at
    their convenience. I told them to piss off, took the loss, and never
    returned to that place for anything.

    PuppyKatt, Nov 13, 2004