    Time to move on, IMHO.

    Bit Torrent
    RSS

    -=rjh=-, Apr 29, 2006

  2. -=rjh=-

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:50:01 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Time to move on, IMHO.
    >
    > Bit Torrent
    > RSS

    You miss the point somewhat. Yes there are new ways of doing things,
    however for somethings the old technology works just fine. eg Paper,
    pencils and USENET. USENET is about discussion, ideas and knowledge.
    People know things and pass them on.

    I feel that doing everything through a web interface somewhat limiting,
    and frustrating.

    Still if enough people use it, it will become the way.

    Gordon, Apr 29, 2006

  3. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:50:01 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> Time to move on, IMHO.
    >>
    >> Bit Torrent
    >> RSS
    >>

    > You miss the point somewhat.

    You reckon? What's the point of worrying about things you can't change,
    when there are huge new vistas ahead, new things to look forward to?

    Arguing about the merits of telnet, finger etc seems pointless.

    > Yes there are new ways of doing things,
    > however for somethings the old technology works just fine. eg Paper,
    > pencils and USENET. USENET is about discussion, ideas and knowledge.
    > People know things and pass them on.

    I agree about usenet, but I thought BBSes were pretty cool once, too -
    still do in fact; they had more sense of community than anything that
    has become popular since.

    > I feel that doing everything through a web interface somewhat limiting,
    > and frustrating.

    I agree to an extent, but at the same time it is just amazing how very
    responsive web applications can be as new techniques and interfaces are
    applied to old problems.

    And broadband helps a lot.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 29, 2006
  4. -=rjh=-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:50:01 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >>
    >>> Time to move on, IMHO.
    >>>
    >>> Bit Torrent
    >>> RSS
    >>>

    >> You miss the point somewhat.

    > You reckon? What's the point of worrying about things you can't
    > change, when there are huge new vistas ahead, new things to look
    > forward to?
    > Arguing about the merits of telnet, finger etc seems pointless.
    >

    >> Yes there are new ways of doing things,
    >> however for somethings the old technology works just fine. eg Paper,
    >> pencils and USENET. USENET is about discussion, ideas and knowledge.
    >> People know things and pass them on.

    > I agree about usenet, but I thought BBSes were pretty cool once, too -
    > still do in fact; they had more sense of community than anything that
    > has become popular since.
    >

    >> I feel that doing everything through a web interface somewhat
    >> limiting, and frustrating.

    > I agree to an extent, but at the same time it is just amazing how very
    > responsive web applications can be as new techniques and interfaces
    > are applied to old problems.
    >
    > And broadband helps a lot.

    The biggest complaint I hear from GoogleGroups users is the lack of a
    killfile feature.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 1, 2006
  5. -=rjh=-

    Kent Smith Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >> Gordon wrote:

    >>> You miss the point somewhat.

    >> You reckon? What's the point of worrying about things you can't
    >> change, when there are huge new vistas ahead, new things to look
    >> forward to?
    >> Arguing about the merits of telnet, finger etc seems pointless.
    >>

    >>> Yes there are new ways of doing things,
    >>> however for somethings the old technology works just fine. eg Paper,
    >>> pencils and USENET. USENET is about discussion, ideas and knowledge.
    >>> People know things and pass them on.

    >> I agree about usenet, but I thought BBSes were pretty cool once, too -
    >> still do in fact; they had more sense of community than anything that
    >> has become popular since.
    >>

    >>> I feel that doing everything through a web interface somewhat
    >>> limiting, and frustrating.

    >> I agree to an extent, but at the same time it is just amazing how very
    >> responsive web applications can be as new techniques and interfaces
    >> are applied to old problems.
    >>
    >> And broadband helps a lot.

    > The biggest complaint I hear from GoogleGroups users is the lack of a
    > killfile feature.

    And you have to have valid email address (no munging)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, May 2, 2006