new lite version of windows XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Guest, May 15, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, May 15, 2005

  2. Guest

    Al Smith Guest

    > here is an article discribing the new lite version of windows XP
    > for older systems
    >
    > http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1815438,00.asp

    "Eiger is not a general-purpose operating system. It can't run
    games, office-productivity software or line-of-business
    applications," he said. "We'll tell users that these kinds of
    things won't run well in this environment."

    Al Smith, May 15, 2005

  3. Guest

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Al Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> here is an article discribing the new lite version of windows XP
    >> for older systems
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1815438,00.asp

    > "Eiger is not a general-purpose operating system. It can't run games,
    > office-productivity software or line-of-business applications," he said.
    > "We'll tell users that these kinds of things won't run well in this
    > environment."

    Basically, it appears to me to be designed to run server-based applications.
    It would be good for data processing workstations that rely on the server
    for providing the real computing horsepower. Kind of like our workstations
    that connect to our AS/400 via an emulation interface. It's a 'window' into
    the AS/400...the real work is being done on the AS/400, none on the PC.

    Toolman Tim, May 15, 2005
  4. On Sun, 15 May 2005 08:57:03 +0300, kenny wrote:

    > here is an article discribing the new lite version of windows XP
    > for older systems
    >
    > http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1815438,00.asp

    Thanks. This leads to a more-detailed table comparing two versions of
    "lite xp" in development, Eiger and Monch:
    <http://bink.nu/Article3812.bink>
    Note that neither supports telephony or dial-up. See also
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=eiger+monch+microsoft>

    Mark R. Blain, May 15, 2005
  5. Guest

    El Gee Guest

    Al Smith <> wrote in

    >> here is an article discribing the new lite version of windows XP
    >> for older systems
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1815438,00.asp

    > "Eiger is not a general-purpose operating system. It can't run
    > games, office-productivity software or line-of-business
    > applications," he said. "We'll tell users that these kinds of
    > things won't run well in this environment."

    Well, maybe not MS Office products, but I bet it will work with Oo_O or
    Abiword :)

    El Gee - www (dot) mistergeek (dot) com <><

    Did you hear the one about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac?
    He had trouble sleeping at night, wondering if there was a dog.
    Remove yourhat to reply ... but it may take a while.

    El Gee, May 16, 2005