    you're looking at everything through a pinhole. Am I doing somethign wrong?

    Thanks in advance,
    linda

    Linda, Jun 10, 2004

  2. "Linda" <> wrote in message
    news:7O%xc.5286$2i5.4797@attbi_s52...
    > I purchased a 3x telephoto lens for my digital camera, sony f828 but the
    > pictures are very blurry at best and if you zoom out too much, it looks

    like
    > you're looking at everything through a pinhole. Am I doing somethign

    wrong?

    > Thanks in advance,
    > linda

    These are not in themselves zoom lenses as many think. This is why when you
    zoom back towards the short side of the camera lens it gives you vignetting.
    As to the fuzzy aspect.
    Is the lens one that is intended to be used with the F828? and secondly at
    the long end of things at an ISO of 50 0r 100 you may not have enough
    shutter speed to give you a sharp picture with out the use of a tripod.
    It was my experience in trying to use a 2X converter with both a top end
    Olympus digital and a mid range Canon that neither worked well. I ended up
    purchasing the lens made for the camera by each manufacture.
    Others may have different opinions.

    Ed

    Jack-of-the-Dust, Jun 10, 2004

  3. Linda

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Linda wrote:

    > I purchased a 3x telephoto lens for my digital camera, sony f828 but the
    > pictures are very blurry at best and if you zoom out too much, it looks like
    > you're looking at everything through a pinhole. Am I doing somethign wrong?

    With some of these add on lenses, it's pretty normal to see a black circle when
    you zoom out to the wide end. That's called vignetting.

    If the pictures are blurry, then I suspect it's simply the lens quality. I got
    stung a couple of years back with a lens I got from eBay. The optics were just
    terrible.

    A lot of these lenses are made for Videocassette recorders. They can get away
    with poorer optics because video resolution is much less than what cameras can
    produce. As a result the lower quality isn't as apparent.

    Jim Townsend, Jun 10, 2004
  4. Linda

    Gener Guest

    Linda,
    The back lens of your adapter needs to be the same size or larger than
    your camera lens. A sharp 3X adapter is impossible I think. I have Sony's
    1.7X Tele Converter and it works quite well. Very large and heavy though.
    Look for Tele Adap at:
    http://www.photoprojects.net/sony.html
    Gene

    Linda wrote:

    > I purchased a 3x telephoto lens for my digital camera, sony f828 but the
    > pictures are very blurry at best and if you zoom out too much, it looks like
    > you're looking at everything through a pinhole. Am I doing somethign wrong?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > linda

    Tele Adap: Received the Sony HGD1758 1.7X Tele Converter 12-31-03. It's 2.74"
    long and
    3.62" diameter. It's huge and much too heavy to
    use without additional support. I took the rest
    of the day making a support bracket before it was
    safe to handle.

    Gener, Jun 10, 2004
  5. Linda

    JIM Guest

    "Linda" <> wrote in message
    > I purchased a 3x telephoto lens for my digital camera, sony f828 but the
    > pictures are very blurry at best and if you zoom out too much, it looks

    like
    > you're looking at everything through a pinhole. Am I doing somethign

    wrong?

    Yep, too much juice w/too little quality..........my son had the 707 and I
    recommended to him the Sony 1.7x extender model - more expensive than 3d
    party add ons, but very good. Sell your 3x, save your sheckles and get the
    Sony extender.

    For 'real' telephoto work, you may one day opt to go the DSLR route. My
    progeny recently did that thing, (he was lusting after the 828 also) 'cause
    he can use all my lenses on his new rig;) Also, as noted by others, if you
    are trying to 'hand-hold' w/3x attached, at whatever zoomy setting available
    on that 828, you are spitting into the wind - try it out on a tripod and for
    a no-touchy the camera shot use the timer function.

    Shoot'em up, sharp, blurred, focused or not, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the
    rest will love you for it!!

    Jim

    JIM, Jun 10, 2004