    it's been a while since I bought my last one which was a Compaq which I've
    been very happy with it.
    Joy
    Joy, Mar 23, 2008

  2. Joy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <fs5575$jaj$>, says...
    > Any recommendations?
    > large screen

    Define large screen - as you won't get a 17" or + notebook under $2000.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 23, 2008

  3. Joy

    Bobs Guest

    Joy wrote:
    > Any recommendations?
    > large screen
    > card reader (sony camera)
    > webcam
    > mostly used for watching dvd's, email, word and surfing.
    > Under 2.5 kilos
    > XP OS
    > Under $2000
    > Will mostly be sitting in one place.
    >
    > I'm buying it on behalf of someone who is not very confident with specs but
    > it's been a while since I bought my last one which was a Compaq which I've
    > been very happy with it.
    > Joy

    Large screen? Basically staying in one place? Why not get a desktop for
    half the price and twice the grunt and spend the other $1000 on booze
    and hookers?
    Bobs, Mar 23, 2008
  4. In article <fs5575$jaj$>, Joy did write:

    > XP OS

    Consumer machines are mostly Vista these days.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 23, 2008
  5. Joy

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 21:43:22 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:

    >Any recommendations?
    >large screen
    >card reader (sony camera)
    >webcam
    >mostly used for watching dvd's, email, word and surfing.
    >Under 2.5 kilos
    >XP OS
    >Under $2000
    >Will mostly be sitting in one place.
    >
    >I'm buying it on behalf of someone who is not very confident with specs but
    >it's been a while since I bought my last one which was a Compaq which I've
    >been very happy with it.
    >Joy

    Have a look at Dell (www.dell.co.nz), they have a good range of
    laptops and still put XP on some of them.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Mar 23, 2008
  6. Joy

    Richard Guest

    Joy wrote:
    > Any recommendations?
    > large screen
    > card reader (sony camera)
    > webcam
    > mostly used for watching dvd's, email, word and surfing.
    > Under 2.5 kilos
    > XP OS
    > Under $2000
    > Will mostly be sitting in one place.
    >
    > I'm buying it on behalf of someone who is not very confident with specs but
    > it's been a while since I bought my last one which was a Compaq which I've
    > been very happy with it.
    > Joy

    Your not going to get under $2000, a large screen and XP on anything
    these days. Also a memory stick reader for the propriatory sony sticks
    is rare as.

    Also, whats a large screen to you? Some people may call a 17" large
    Richard, Mar 23, 2008
  7. Joy

    SlowLearner Guest

    On Mar 23, 9:43 pm, "Joy" <> wrote:
    > Any recommendations?
    > large screen
    > card reader (sony camera)
    > webcam
    > mostly used for watching dvd's, email, word and surfing.
    > Under 2.5 kilos
    > XP OS
    > Under $2000
    > Will mostly be sitting in one place.
    >
    > I'm buying it on behalf of someone who is not very confident with specs but
    > it's been a while since I bought my last one which was a Compaq which I've
    > been very happy with it.
    > Joy

    If the person has DVDs from more than one zone you'll have to check
    the DVD make and model against the DVD drives at www.rpc1.org. There
    are some DVD drives for PCs now that lock both the video and data
    stream at the hardware level so software cannot circumvent the DVD
    zone controls*.

    Matshita is the most well known culprit as they provide drives for a
    lot of computer manufactuerers.

    For some of these drives, Matshita included, there is not even
    firmware to correct the problem. All HP/Compaq laptops come with these
    rubbish drives. As we are looking to get a new laptop in the near
    future I went and had a quick look at the DSE laptops to see what DVD
    drives they had and Asus and HP Compaq shipped with Matshita, Acer
    shipped with something else. I haven't checked yet how the Acer drive
    stacks up.

    Despite the fact I'll personally never buy HP/Compaq again the HP/
    Compaq laptop itself is quite nice, my only annoyances are:
    - the finish on the screen is a little too reflective and depending
    on the relative positions of light sources and the screen you can't
    see anything except your own face and what is behind you (might be
    useful for a work environment though)
    - and sometimes there is a sort of intermittent buzzing noise which
    from poking around the internet is something to do with the energy
    saving on one of the chips in the machine but I have not got so far as
    to work out how to fix it (or even if fixing it is possible).

    *My MatSHITa drive can be circumvented by software but only if a zone
    has NEVER been set. Once one is set you are stuffed. But as a warning,
    I am pretty sure the System restore DVDs set the zone 2 as I was
    pretty careful anyway about not setting the zone anyway and it
    coincidentally got set after I restored the system.
    SlowLearner, Mar 23, 2008
  8. Hi there,

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <fs5575$jaj$>, says...
    >> Any recommendations?
    >> large screen

    > Define large screen - as you won't get a 17" or + notebook under $2000.

    Of course you can. Dell will sell an entry level Inspiron 1720 with
    Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard disk, 1440x900 17" screen,
    NV8400M GS graphics, Vista Home Premium, WiFi, and more for NZD $1699.

    You could even up-spec the graphics to an 8600M GT and screen to a full
    HD 1920x1200 and still keep it under $2000...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...
    Chris Wilkinson, Mar 23, 2008
  9. Joy

    Murray Symon Guest

    Joy wrote:

    > Any recommendations?
    > large screen
    > card reader (sony camera)
    > webcam
    > mostly used for watching dvd's, email, word and surfing.
    > Under 2.5 kilos
    > XP OS
    > Under $2000
    > Will mostly be sitting in one place.
    >
    > I'm buying it on behalf of someone who is not very confident with specs
    > but it's been a while since I bought my last one which was a Compaq which
    > I've been very happy with it.
    > Joy

    You may have trouble finding one with a screen greater than 15 inch
    with a weight under 2.5 kg.

    Do you really need a reasonably lightweight machine, when it won't need
    to be moved much? The premium that you may have to pay for less weight
    may push the price to over $2000, or even to over $3000.
    Murray Symon, Mar 24, 2008
  10. Joy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <47e6ecea$>, says...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article <fs5575$jaj$>, says...
    > >> Any recommendations?
    > >> large screen

    > > Define large screen - as you won't get a 17" or + notebook under $2000.

    > Of course you can. Dell will sell an entry level Inspiron 1720 with
    > Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard disk, 1440x900 17" screen,
    > NV8400M GS graphics, Vista Home Premium, WiFi, and more for NZD $1699.
    >
    > You could even up-spec the graphics to an 8600M GT and screen to a full
    > HD 1920x1200 and still keep it under $2000...

    That's true - but I'd never recommend a Dell or an Acer to anyone.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 24, 2008
  11. Joy

    Lodi Guest

    >On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:19:58 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

    > That's true - but I'd never recommend a Dell or an Acer to anyone.

    I have a Dell desktop and an Acer laptop. Both running along happily for
    the last four-ish years. Will happily buy similar when/if I ever upgrade.

    Different yolks for different folks :)

    Lodi
    Lodi, Mar 24, 2008
  12. Joy

    EMB Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > That's true - but I'd never recommend a Dell or an Acer to anyone.

    I'd never own or recommend an Acer. However for the mix of
    price/features/quality it's pretty hard to beat a Dell laptop (not that
    I'd buy one for myself but various of my friends own them with no
    apparent problems).
    EMB, Mar 24, 2008
  13. On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:39:16 -0700 (PDT), SlowLearner
    <> wrote:

    >*My MatSHITa drive can be circumvented by software but only if a zone
    >has NEVER been set. Once one is set you are stuffed. But as a warning,
    >I am pretty sure the System restore DVDs set the zone 2 as I was
    >pretty careful anyway about not setting the zone anyway and it
    >coincidentally got set after I restored the system.

    I have to agree with you there. I bought a compaq shop demo unit and
    they did a system restore and it was later I noticed it was zone 2
    (and I'm sure I never put a zone 2 disc in there)

    Do you know if the system restore also restores the number of changes
    left (I suspect not as that's at a firmware level)
    Jason Clinton, Mar 24, 2008
  14. Joy

    PeeCee Guest

    "Jason Clinton" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:39:16 -0700 (PDT), SlowLearner
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>*My MatSHITa drive can be circumvented by software but only if a zone
    >>has NEVER been set. Once one is set you are stuffed. But as a warning,
    >>I am pretty sure the System restore DVDs set the zone 2 as I was
    >>pretty careful anyway about not setting the zone anyway and it
    >>coincidentally got set after I restored the system.

    > I have to agree with you there. I bought a compaq shop demo unit and
    > they did a system restore and it was later I noticed it was zone 2
    > (and I'm sure I never put a zone 2 disc in there)
    >
    > Do you know if the system restore also restores the number of changes
    > left (I suspect not as that's at a firmware level)

    Jason

    Download Nero Info tool
    http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero8-tools-utilities.html (it's free)
    Run this and it will tell you a) what the drive firmware is currently set to
    b) how many customer level changes are left c) how many vendor level changes
    are left.

    If your drive has more customer level changes left then just put in a DVD
    for the region you want the drive to be and it will change and decrement the
    user changes by one.

    If there are no customer changes left then the drive has to go back to the
    vendor for a vendor level reset so the customer has 5 more changes of region
    before it locks up again.
    (& I wish you luck getting that done, be prepared to pay for it)

    I can't say categorically if the restore set the drive to region 2, but I
    suspect not as I understand it only the drive makes the change and only when
    a region coded commercial DVD is played on the drive. i.e. the drive
    electronics makes the change and it only takes a DVD to be inserted and the
    Table of Contents read for it to happen.

    More info here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

    BTW it is generally understood Region coding is illegal in NZ but I doubt
    you'll get much traction waving the CGA under the vendors nose.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Mar 24, 2008
  15. Joy

    Joy Guest

    "Murray Symon" <> wrote in message
    > Joy wrote:
    >
    >> Any recommendations?
    >> large screen
    >> card reader (sony camera)
    >> webcam
    >> mostly used for watching dvd's, email, word and surfing.
    >> Under 2.5 kilos
    >> XP OS
    >> Under $2000
    >> Will mostly be sitting in one place.
    >>
    >> I'm buying it on behalf of someone who is not very confident with specs
    >> but it's been a while since I bought my last one which was a Compaq which
    >> I've been very happy with it.
    >> Joy

    > You may have trouble finding one with a screen greater than 15 inch
    > with a weight under 2.5 kg.
    >
    > Do you really need a reasonably lightweight machine, when it won't need
    > to be moved much? The premium that you may have to pay for less weight
    > may push the price to over $2000, or even to over $3000.

    No, it will only be moved once or twice between the house and the bach. I've
    now realized that 15" screen will be the limit for under $2000 but I'm still
    confused at the specs for the quality of the screen. And I may have to
    factor in the cost of an XP licence amd MS office as so few come with them.
    http://pbtech.co.nz/ has a Asus Z53Sc for $1967 and I usually buy there
    anyway but DSE has a nice Asus Z53Se for $1300. The main difference between
    the two seems to be the processor and since the owner is only slightly pc
    literate, the $1300 one may do. I guess I'm looking for a well-built
    problem free machine.
    Joy
    Joy, Mar 24, 2008
  16. Joy

    sam Guest

    SlowLearner wrote:
    > On Mar 23, 9:43 pm, "Joy" <> wrote:
    >> Any recommendations?
    >> large screen
    >> card reader (sony camera)
    >> webcam
    >> mostly used for watching dvd's, email, word and surfing.
    >> Under 2.5 kilos
    >> XP OS
    >> Under $2000
    >> Will mostly be sitting in one place.
    >>
    >> I'm buying it on behalf of someone who is not very confident with specs but
    >> it's been a while since I bought my last one which was a Compaq which I've
    >> been very happy with it.
    >> Joy

    > If the person has DVDs from more than one zone you'll have to check
    > the DVD make and model against the DVD drives at www.rpc1.org. There
    > are some DVD drives for PCs now that lock both the video and data
    > stream at the hardware level so software cannot circumvent the DVD
    > zone controls*.
    >
    > Matshita is the most well known culprit as they provide drives for a
    > lot of computer manufactuerers.
    >
    > For some of these drives, Matshita included, there is not even
    > firmware to correct the problem. All HP/Compaq laptops come with these
    > rubbish drives. As we are looking to get a new laptop in the near
    > future I went and had a quick look at the DSE laptops to see what DVD
    > drives they had and Asus and HP Compaq shipped with Matshita, Acer
    > shipped with something else. I haven't checked yet how the Acer drive
    > stacks up.
    >
    > Despite the fact I'll personally never buy HP/Compaq again the HP/
    > Compaq laptop itself is quite nice, my only annoyances are:
    > - the finish on the screen is a little too reflective and depending
    > on the relative positions of light sources and the screen you can't
    > see anything except your own face and what is behind you (might be
    > useful for a work environment though)
    > - and sometimes there is a sort of intermittent buzzing noise which
    > from poking around the internet is something to do with the energy
    > saving on one of the chips in the machine but I have not got so far as
    > to work out how to fix it (or even if fixing it is possible).
    >
    > *My MatSHITa drive can be circumvented by software but only if a zone
    > has NEVER been set. Once one is set you are stuffed. But as a warning,
    > I am pretty sure the System restore DVDs set the zone 2 as I was
    > pretty careful anyway about not setting the zone anyway and it
    > coincidentally got set after I restored the system.

    You can use VLC to play DVDs from any region regardless of any zone
    setting schemes.
    sam, Mar 24, 2008
  17. Joy

    EMB Guest

    Joy wrote:

    > No, it will only be moved once or twice between the house and the bach. I've
    > now realized that 15" screen will be the limit for under $2000 but I'm still
    > confused at the specs for the quality of the screen. And I may have to
    > factor in the cost of an XP licence amd MS office as so few come with them.
    > http://pbtech.co.nz/ has a Asus Z53Sc for $1967 and I usually buy there
    > anyway but DSE has a nice Asus Z53Se for $1300. The main difference between
    > the two seems to be the processor and since the owner is only slightly pc
    > literate, the $1300 one may do. I guess I'm looking for a well-built
    > problem free machine.

    Search for XC4182 at on DSE's website - comes with XP Pro.
    EMB, Mar 24, 2008
  18. Joy

    Lodi Guest

    >On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:51:15 +1300, sam wrote:

    >> SlowLearner wrote:

    >> *My MatSHITa drive can be circumvented by software but only if a zone
    >> has NEVER been set.

    Never knew this. I thought the zone was preset to the area the drive was
    going to e.g AP/EU/US+Can

    Do you have the name of the circumventing software.

    > You can use VLC to play DVDs from any region regardless of any zone
    > setting schemes.

    Speaking from experience, not a 100% true. There's a thread from Feb
    called "Samsung DVD reader/CD Reader/writer SM-352" which goes on a bit
    about this IYI.

    Lodi
    Lodi, Mar 24, 2008
  19. Hi there,

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <47e6ecea$>, says...
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> In article <fs5575$jaj$>, says...
    >>> Define large screen - as you won't get a 17" or + notebook under $2000.

    >> Of course you can. Dell will sell an entry level Inspiron 1720 with
    >> Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard disk, 1440x900 17" screen,
    >> NV8400M GS graphics, Vista Home Premium, WiFi, and more for NZD $1699.
    >>
    >> You could even up-spec the graphics to an 8600M GT and screen to a full
    >> HD 1920x1200 and still keep it under $2000...

    > That's true - but I'd never recommend a Dell or an Acer to anyone.

    Thats your issue. Meanwhile plenty of businesses and individuals
    will disagree, and if the OP is happy with a Dell or Acer then
    yes they will be able to own a 17" reasonably spec'd laptop for
    under $2K...

    Chris Wilkinson, Mar 24, 2008
  20. Joy

    Bobs Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <47e6ecea$>, says...
    >>> Hi there,

    >>> Of course you can. Dell will sell an entry level Inspiron 1720 with
    >>> Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard disk, 1440x900 17" screen,
    >>> NV8400M GS graphics, Vista Home Premium, WiFi, and more for NZD $1699.
    >>>
    >>> You could even up-spec the graphics to an 8600M GT and screen to a full
    >>> HD 1920x1200 and still keep it under $2000...

    >> That's true - but I'd never recommend a Dell or an Acer to anyone.

    > Thats your issue. Meanwhile plenty of businesses and individuals
    > will disagree, and if the OP is happy with a Dell or Acer then
    > yes they will be able to own a 17" reasonably spec'd laptop for
    > under $2K...

    There's a reason ACER laptops are dirt cheap, and it's not because
    they're feeling generous. They have poor design and poor support, and
    their quality control is mud.

    My friend is a manager at DSE and he dreads selling ACER laptops, becase
    half of them come back for repair.
    Bobs, Mar 24, 2008