    Any ideas?

    Thanks
    Brendon
    Brendon Pascoe, Nov 26, 2004

  2. Brendon Pascoe

    David Preece Guest

    Brendon Pascoe wrote:
    > And, yes, I would love a Mac, but I don't have the coin for replacing
    > all my software that way - not yet anyway.

    Yeah, it's lunacy isn't it. I have no idea why they don't stick both
    versions on the disk, or at very least provide a cheap upgrade path.

    Given that you have to stay on the dark side, I'd recommend Pentium M
    but not Sony (I hear lots of people moaning about Sony laptops).

    Dave
    David Preece, Nov 26, 2004

  3. David Preece wrote:
    > Brendon Pascoe wrote:
    >
    >> And, yes, I would love a Mac, but I don't have the coin for replacing
    >> all my software that way - not yet anyway.

    > Yeah, it's lunacy isn't it. I have no idea why they don't stick both
    > versions on the disk, or at very least provide a cheap upgrade path.
    >
    > Given that you have to stay on the dark side, I'd recommend Pentium M
    > but not Sony (I hear lots of people moaning about Sony laptops).
    >
    > Dave

    Thanks Dave,
    Yeh, really frustrating with having to buy 2 versions for cross
    development etc. What also annoys me is the lack of manual with any sort
    of software these days - now the developers have got into bed with the
    publishers, they make money off the software and then off the books!
    Never used to be like that!

    Anyway, enough moaning, thanks for the heads up on the Sony's. What was
    your reasoning for the Pent. M's?

    Brendon
    Brendon Pascoe, Nov 26, 2004
  4. Brendon Pascoe

    Steve Guest

    Brendon Pascoe wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Opinions on a new 17" widescreen laptop would be appreciated.
    > Toying with the new Sony Viao or the HP models. (sorry not sure of specs).
    > The HP has a P4 HT processor, where-as the Sony has the Pentium M type -
    > Centrino I think?
    >
    > Going to be running Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Premiere on it, for web
    > design etc.
    > And, yes, I would love a Mac, but I don't have the coin for replacing
    > all my software that way - not yet anyway.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Brendon

    Why are you buying a laptop for development work? Sounds like a major
    waste of money to me. Presentation to clients, yes, in which case you
    need to look at battery life and things like that... in which case
    anything centrino based will be better - and you could (possibly) make a
    case for the extra overhead of buying a computer with a designer label
    on it.
    Steve, Nov 26, 2004
  5. Steve wrote:

    > Why are you buying a laptop for development work? Sounds like a major
    > waste of money to me. Presentation to clients, yes, in which case you
    > need to look at battery life and things like that... in which case
    > anything centrino based will be better - and you could (possibly) make a
    > case for the extra overhead of buying a computer with a designer label
    > on it.

    Steve,
    It's a little awkward being in the UK for 6 months a year and in NZ the
    other half, and trying to get a desktop and 19"monitor through customs
    all the time...
    In terms of development on a laptop, well I have managed to get by for
    the last 5 years on this old P3 650, so things aren't that bad.
    Thanks for your input.

    Brendon
    Brendon Pascoe, Nov 26, 2004
  6. Brendon Pascoe

    David Preece Guest

    Brendon Pascoe wrote:
    > Anyway, enough moaning, thanks for the heads up on the Sony's. What was
    > your reasoning for the Pent. M's?

    Centrino's are actually designed for working in laptops (they're
    basically modified P3's), whereas the P4 was designed from the outset
    just to run at high clockrates at the expense of all else. It tells you
    something that Intel themselves have quit developing the P4 and are now
    working on modding Centrinos for the desktop.

    It's actually quite a good chip.

    Dave
    David Preece, Nov 27, 2004
  7. Brendon Pascoe

    Dorado Guest

    David Preece wrote:
    > Brendon Pascoe wrote:
    >> Anyway, enough moaning, thanks for the heads up on the Sony's. What
    >> was your reasoning for the Pent. M's?

    > Centrino's are actually designed for working in laptops (they're
    > basically modified P3's), whereas the P4 was designed from the outset
    > just to run at high clockrates at the expense of all else. It tells
    > you something that Intel themselves have quit developing the P4 and
    > are now working on modding Centrinos for the desktop.
    >
    > It's actually quite a good chip.
    >
    > Dave

    to be precise, Centrino isn't really a processor. It's the name given to the
    technology which combines the Pentium M Processor + chipset + wireless
    technology.
    Dorado, Nov 27, 2004
  8. Brendon Pascoe

    maz Guest

    "Brendon Pascoe" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Opinions on a new 17" widescreen laptop would be appreciated.
    > Toying with the new Sony Viao or the HP models. (sorry not sure of specs).
    > The HP has a P4 HT processor, where-as the Sony has the Pentium M type -
    > Centrino I think?
    >
    > Going to be running Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Premiere on it, for web
    > design etc.
    > And, yes, I would love a Mac, but I don't have the coin for replacing
    > all my software that way - not yet anyway.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Brendon

    Dell have just released a 17 inch notebook/desktop replacement. Doesn't
    macromedia software come with both PC and Mac versions on the disk now? At
    least the new version does I think.
    maz, Nov 27, 2004
  9. Brendon Pascoe

    Mercury Guest

    Toshiba has a really really good 15.4" lcd on one model. Its so good, it
    will make a 17" look downright fuzzy.

    I have an Asus M6ne with 1gb ram, Pentium-M 1.8Ghz, dvd dual layer, 802.11g,
    Gbit ethernet, 80GB 5400rpm disc drive, 15.4" 1600 x 1050 x true colour
    screen, XP Pro... & wow. I have not sat these two machines next to each
    other to compare screens, but to give you an idea, the display quality on
    the Asus leaves a phillips 201b (20-21") @ 1600 x 1200 res for dead - the
    phillips is/was one of the best monitors in its time. Battery life is
    excellent - 3.5 hours surfing any day.

    So, I recommend shopping around just to see whats best - Pentium M (ala
    Centrino) is a good choice - you will not notice any difference between a
    Pentium M @ 1.6GHz and a P4 @ 2.8GHz, or perhaps Athlon 64 bit if you want
    performance before all else - I saw one (AMD 64) last week (Asus again) with
    a display = to this. Asus is being slow with 64 bit drivers...

    Sony has a reputation of not updating bios / drivers / firmware once a
    product is released. Pity, they are nice looking machines...

    AMD 64 bit drivers are slowly coming, but it is even slower for laptops
    (acer ferrari has drivers for XP 64 bit available).

    The Asus came with 3year international warranty.

    - me

    Mercury, Nov 27, 2004
  10. Suddenly, Steve sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Why are you buying a laptop for development work?

    What if you need to do development in the field? Or just travel a lot?

    Laptops are a bit slow (hard drives) for development, but they can be
    essential depending on the work.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Nov 28, 2004
  11. Brendon Pascoe

    Steve Guest

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > Suddenly, Steve sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    >
    >>Why are you buying a laptop for development work?

    > What if you need to do development in the field? Or just travel a lot?
    >
    > Laptops are a bit slow (hard drives) for development, but they can be
    > essential depending on the work.

    Look at the OP. None of these were mentioned. Without that knowledge, I
    put forward my own suggestions. Personally, I have a Tosh 5205, running
    Debian, and am immenseley pleased with it. I find their keyboards to be
    so much better to use than anyone elses. The only time I have strayed
    was in the late 90's, when Compaq were making bomb-proof laptops.

    Another, better informed, opinion.

    Steve
    Steve, Nov 28, 2004
  12. Brendon Pascoe

    Lanmeister Guest

    Hey dude.

    Go to www.ultra.co.nz and look at the D870P. Then contact me for more info
    if needed.

    Cheers

    Lanmeister

    Lanmeister, Nov 28, 2004
  13. David Preece wrote:

    > Brendon Pascoe wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway, enough moaning, thanks for the heads up on the Sony's. What
    >> was your reasoning for the Pent. M's?

    > Centrino's are actually designed for working in laptops (they're
    > basically modified P3's), whereas the P4 was designed from the outset
    > just to run at high clockrates at the expense of all else. It tells you
    > something that Intel themselves have quit developing the P4 and are now
    > working on modding Centrinos for the desktop.

    although what you have said is correct(mostly).
    Centrino is a marketing name only, for a collection of intel
    products.(CPU wifi and something else I think.)

    The processor itself is called a "Pentium M" note that I didn't say P4M
    Pentum 4M Pentium 4 Mobile or similar... all names are used, but are not
    the same as a "Pentium M"

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 29, 2004
  14. Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > Laptops are a bit slow (hard drives) for development, but they can be
    > essential depending on the work.

    surely it would depend on what sort of development you aare doing?

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 29, 2004