New laptop recommendations UK

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by FJDx, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. FJDx

    FJDx Guest

    Hi,

    I require a new laptop with the following:

    min 14" screen
    min 512 MB RAM
    min 30 GB hard drive
    CD-RW
    DVD
    Win XP Home (preferable)

    This will only be used around the house (prefer laptop to PC due to lack
    of space) for basics such as watching DVDs, burning CDs and
    email/internet.

    With so many on the market these days, I would be grateful for any
    suggestions on what to buy or where to look (in the UK). My price limit
    is £6-700.

    Thank you.
    FJDx, Sep 1, 2004

  2. "FJDx" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I require a new laptop with the following:
    >
    > min 14" screen
    > min 512 MB RAM
    > min 30 GB hard drive
    > CD-RW
    > DVD
    > Win XP Home (preferable)
    >
    > This will only be used around the house (prefer laptop to PC due to

    lack
    > of space) for basics such as watching DVDs, burning CDs and
    > email/internet.
    >
    > With so many on the market these days, I would be grateful for any
    > suggestions on what to buy or where to look (in the UK). My price

    limit
    > is £6-700.

    Don't think you'll get much for £6 :)
    My Advent 7016 has similar specs (15" screen)
    £998 from PC World 12 months ago.
    Probably in your price range now ?

    --
    WSB
    West Stand Bowler, Sep 1, 2004

  3. FJDx

    °Mike° Guest

    http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/320_211192.html
    http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/992751.html

    Remember, Comet are cheap, but just like PCWorld, forget
    about support!

    More here:
    http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/320.html

    On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:09:19 +0000 (UTC), in
    <ch538f$fnh$>
    FJDx scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 1, 2004
  4. FJDx

    FJDx Guest

    "West Stand Bowler" <> wrote in message

    > "FJDx" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I require a new laptop with the following:
    > >
    > > min 14" screen
    > > min 512 MB RAM
    > > min 30 GB hard drive
    > > CD-RW
    > > DVD
    > > Win XP Home (preferable)
    > >
    > > This will only be used around the house (prefer laptop to PC due to

    > lack
    > > of space) for basics such as watching DVDs, burning CDs and
    > > email/internet.
    > >
    > > With so many on the market these days, I would be grateful for any
    > > suggestions on what to buy or where to look (in the UK). My price

    > limit
    > > is £6-700.

    > Don't think you'll get much for £6 :)
    > My Advent 7016 has similar specs (15" screen)
    > £998 from PC World 12 months ago.
    > Probably in your price range now ?

    Thanks for your reply.

    I have just added this to my basket at the Dell Outlet website, don't
    know if this counts as a bargain at £600 including delivery and VAT?

    Inspiron 1150, Pentium 4, 2.66GHz 14.1 XGA
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

    Memory: 512MB 266Mhz DDR SDRAM (2x256MB)

    Hard Disk Drive: 30GB(4200rpm) IDE Hard Drive

    NoteBook Screen: Inspiron 1150 14.1 XGA LCD

    Modem: Internal 56K Modem

    Network Interface Card: INSP TM1350 WLAN 802.11b/g 54Mbps MPCI

    Internal 10/100 Ethernet LAN on Motherboard

    CD Read-Write Drive: CDRW / DVD COMBO Drive
    FJDx, Sep 1, 2004
  5. FJDx

    AD Guest

    good deals on Toshiba to be found around at the moment.
    Go online and check places like dealtime.co.uk or dabs.com ..... a google
    search might help

    AD, Sep 1, 2004
  6. "FJDx" <> wrote in message

    > I have just added this to my basket at the Dell Outlet website, don't
    > know if this counts as a bargain at £600 including delivery and VAT?
    >
    > Inspiron 1150, Pentium 4, 2.66GHz 14.1 XGA
    > Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    >
    > Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    >
    > Memory: 512MB 266Mhz DDR SDRAM (2x256MB)

    Looks OK. My biggest regret was not getting a DVD RW.
    Also, a 15" screen would be nice.
    Still, looks like the deeds done. BTW, I was told to expect approx 500
    recharges to the battery before replacement.

    --
    WSB
    West Stand Bowler, Sep 1, 2004