    wait 10 working days for Dell to produce one.

    Any suggestions anyone ?

    Many thanks for any feedback.

    ecurb, Aug 17, 2008

  2. ecurb

    Squiggle Guest

    ecurb wrote:
    > Hi, I am in need of a new laptop... and that laptop has to have
    > Windows XP Professional installed.. not
    > Vista (I need to install software that *only* runs on XP Pro).
    >
    > Problem is I can't find any new machines anywhere - except for Dell
    > - which do offer such a machin... but I need a machine fast, and can't
    > wait 10 working days for Dell to produce one.
    >
    > Any suggestions anyone ?
    >
    > Many thanks for any feedback.

    If no other options come up there are some laptops that come with vista
    business, but with XP pro media included. If you have a licence for
    Vista Business you are entitled to install XP pro instead.

    eg. http://www.portables.co.nz/PSLB1A-02D008.aspx

    Basically if you can get you hands on XP Pro install media you can
    install it on any laptop that you purchase that has Vista Business (and
    IIRC Vista Ultimate also gives you this right). Only catch is that with
    some laptops it might be hard to find drivers for XP.

    Squiggle, Aug 17, 2008

  3. ecurb

    ecurb Guest

    On Aug 17, 5:54 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > ecurb wrote:
    > > Hi, I am in need of a new laptop... and that laptop has to have
    > > Windows XP Professional installed.. not
    > > Vista (I need to install software that *only* runs on XP Pro).

    > > Problem is I can't find any new machines anywhere  - except for Dell
    > > - which do offer such a machin... but I need a machine fast, and can't
    > > wait 10 working days for Dell to produce one.

    > > Any suggestions anyone ?

    > > Many thanks for any feedback.

    > If no other options come up there are some laptops that come with vista
    > business, but with XP pro media included. If you have a licence for
    > Vista Business you are entitled to install XP pro instead.
    >
    > eg.http://www.portables.co.nz/PSLB1A-02D008.aspx
    >
    > Basically if you can get you hands on XP Pro install media you can
    > install it on any laptop that you purchase that has Vista Business (and
    > IIRC Vista Ultimate also gives you this right). Only catch is that with
    > some laptops it might be hard to find drivers for XP.

    Thanks for that link.. & your good advice. The Toshiba would suit very
    well indeed.. and I assume drivers would all be ok??

    ecurb, Aug 17, 2008
  4. On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 22:45:01 -0700 (PDT), ecurb

    search for xc4182 at dse.co.nz

    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Aug 17, 2008
  5. ecurb

    Squiggle Guest

    ecurb wrote:
    > On Aug 17, 5:54 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >> ecurb wrote:
    >>> Hi, I am in need of a new laptop... and that laptop has to have
    >>> Windows XP Professional installed.. not
    >>> Vista (I need to install software that *only* runs on XP Pro).
    >>> Problem is I can't find any new machines anywhere - except for Dell
    >>> - which do offer such a machin... but I need a machine fast, and can't
    >>> wait 10 working days for Dell to produce one.
    >>> Any suggestions anyone ?
    >>> Many thanks for any feedback.

    >> If no other options come up there are some laptops that come with vista
    >> business, but with XP pro media included. If you have a licence for
    >> Vista Business you are entitled to install XP pro instead.
    >>
    >> eg.http://www.portables.co.nz/PSLB1A-02D008.aspx
    >>
    >> Basically if you can get you hands on XP Pro install media you can
    >> install it on any laptop that you purchase that has Vista Business (and
    >> IIRC Vista Ultimate also gives you this right). Only catch is that with
    >> some laptops it might be hard to find drivers for XP.

    > Thanks for that link.. & your good advice. The Toshiba would suit very
    > well indeed.. and I assume drivers would all be ok??

    It appears to be a standard toshiba package offered by many retailers so
    I would assume that they have included drivers discs, but it would pay
    to ask before buying. Alternatively if you aren't a tech head or
    prepared to stuff around sorting out issues it may be worth paying an
    extra $50 or so to get the shop to install XP for you.

    same laptop package, about $300 cheaper:
    http://www.enetcomputers.co.nz/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=03323

    Squiggle, Aug 17, 2008