    Why can't my internal wi-fi card find my home connection? Would it help by
    upgrading to XP Pro?

    Please help.
    =?Utf-8?B?UGVuZGxlQmx1ZQ==?=, Mar 5, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGVuZGxlQmx1ZQ==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    You do not need to upgrade to WinXP Pro to make the Wireless work correctly,
    just update it with WinXP SP2.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
    If the internal card receives other Networks, and skips yours, then some
    thing is not set correctly to match the Card with the wireless source. May
    be this can Help.
    To check and set Windows Zero Configuration, http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Mar 5, 2006

  3. Hi Jack,

    Thanks for your help but I have looked at these before, everything is up to
    date.

    I have just read on another post about changing the channel on the access
    point. I wasn't sure how to do this but I found the software for my WAP54G,
    followed the process - it was set to channel 12. I've changed it to channel
    11, and Hey Presto!! it works.
    I can't believe hoe simple it was.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGVuZGxlQmx1ZQ==?=, Mar 6, 2006
  4. Woah I wouldn't of guessed that outcome. Different countries allow
    wireless to run in different frequency ranges- channel 12 is allowed in some
    countries (like Japan) but not other countries (like the United States). It
    sounds like your AP was manufactured for a different region than your
    laptop's wireless adapter.

    --
    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT]

    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT], Mar 9, 2006