    CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate the
    application.

    Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!

    Bee, Sep 24, 2007

  2. Bee

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:09:37 -0500, Bee wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in DOS--No
    > need for DOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750 laptop running XP)
    > I get this error message when I try to launch any of these games:
    >
    > The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    >
    > CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate the
    > application.
    >

    > Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!

    www.google.com search for : The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal
    instruction

    read some of the hits.

    Meat Plow, Sep 24, 2007

  3. Bee

    Guest

    "Bee" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in DOS--No
    >need for DOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750 laptop running XP)
    >I get this error message when I try to launch any of these games:
    >
    > The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    >
    > CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate the
    >application.
    >

    >Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!

    XP assumed

    Old simplistic DOS games used what memory it could find.

    Google: Data Execution Prevention

    www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsxp/depcnfxp.mspx
    "To help prevent malicious code, when memory is declared
    "non-executable" and a program tries to execute code from the memory,
    Windows will close that program. This occurs whether the code is
    malicious or not."
    --

    Microsoft Windows Will Be Unbundled - computers in the EU
    will be sold without an operating system.

    , Sep 24, 2007
  4. Bee

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > "Bee" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in
    >>DOS--No need for DOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750
    >>laptop running XP) I get this error message when I try to launch any
    >>of these games:
    >>
    >> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    >>
    >> CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate
    >> the
    >>application.
    >>

    >>Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!
    >>

    > XP assumed
    >
    > Old simplistic DOS games used what memory it could find.
    >
    > Google: Data Execution Prevention
    >
    > www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsxp/depcnfxp.mspx
    > "To help prevent malicious code, when memory is declared
    > "non-executable" and a program tries to execute code from the memory,
    > Windows will close that program. This occurs whether the code is
    > malicious or not."

    That sounds like the definition of a page fault. Strange that they'd
    confuse the two.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 25, 2007
  5. Bee

    Annie Guest

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in DOS--No
    >>need for DOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750 laptop running
    >>XP)
    >>I get this error message when I try to launch any of these games:
    >>
    >> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    >>
    >> CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate the
    >>application.
    >>

    >>Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!
    >>

    > XP assumed
    >
    > Old simplistic DOS games used what memory it could find.
    >
    > Google: Data Execution Prevention
    >
    > www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsxp/depcnfxp.mspx
    > "To help prevent malicious code, when memory is declared
    > "non-executable" and a program tries to execute code from the memory,
    > Windows will close that program. This occurs whether the code is
    > malicious or not."

    Thanks guys for the help. Unfortunately, I still can't get it to work.
    :( Disappointing for a new machine. Thanks, again, though!

    Annie, Sep 25, 2007
  6. Bee

    philo Guest

    "Bee" <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in DOS--No
    > need for DOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750 laptop running

    XP)
    > I get this error message when I try to launch any of these games:
    >
    > The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    >
    > CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate the
    > application.
    >

    > Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!

    Some of those old dos apps will not work simply because the CPU is too fast.
    They sometimes used timing loops
    I've had to hack into a few of my old q-basic games to get them to work on a
    fast CPU

    philo, Sep 25, 2007
  7. Bee

    Guest

    On Sep 24, 5:09 pm, "Bee" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in DOS--No
    > need forDOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750 laptop running XP)
    > I get this error message when I try to launch any of these games:
    >
    > The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    >
    > CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate the
    > application.
    >
    > Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!

    Use DosBox. NTVDM is a POS.

    , Sep 25, 2007
  8. Bee

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >> Google: Data Execution Prevention
    >>
    >> www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsxp/depcnfxp.mspx
    >> "To help prevent malicious code, when memory is declared
    >> "non-executable" and a program tries to execute code from the memory,
    >> Windows will close that program. This occurs whether the code is
    >> malicious or not."

    >That sounds like the definition of a page fault. Strange that they'd
    >confuse the two.

    Something MS had to implement to counter their poor programming skills
    ; it's suppose to block buffer overruns.
    --

    http://www.onahorse.com/

    , Sep 26, 2007
  9. Bee

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Google: Data Execution Prevention
    >>>
    >>> www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsxp/depcnfxp.mspx
    >>> "To help prevent malicious code, when memory is declared
    >>> "non-executable" and a program tries to execute code from the
    >>> memory, Windows will close that program. This occurs whether the
    >>> code is malicious or not."

    >>That sounds like the definition of a page fault. Strange that they'd
    >>confuse the two.

    > Something MS had to implement to counter their poor programming skills
    > ; it's suppose to block buffer overruns.

    Well, actually there *is* some overlap there - an invalid page fault
    *can* cause an illegal operation - you jump from the code segment to the
    data segment and you are *very* likely to get an unimplemented op code
    (i.e. a byte bit pattern not used for any valid instruction), but tech
    writers aren't programmers I guess.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 26, 2007
  10. Bee

    chuckcar Guest

    "Bee" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in
    > DOS--No need for DOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750
    > laptop running XP) I get this error message when I try to launch any
    > of these games:
    >
    > The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    >
    > CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate
    > the
    > application.
    >

    > Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!

    If you have a floppy drive (or I suppose a boot cd would work too), you
    could make a boot disk to boot to an earlier version of dos. I wouldn't
    go earlier than 5 though, dos 4 had *real* problems and before that,
    there was a lot that wasn't implemented.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 26, 2007
  11. Bee

    Annie Guest

    >> I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in
    >> DOS--No need for DOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750
    >> laptop running XP) I get this error message when I try to launch any
    >> of these games:
    >>
    >> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    >>
    >> CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to terminate
    >> the
    >> application.
    >>

    >> Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!

    > If you have a floppy drive (or I suppose a boot cd would work too), you
    > could make a boot disk to boot to an earlier version of dos. I wouldn't
    > go earlier than 5 though, dos 4 had *real* problems and before that,
    > there was a lot that wasn't implemented.

    Oh my, a boot disk...you are awaking memories of my past. But being the
    present, could you refresh my memory on how to make a boot disk (CD,
    actually) now, with XP?

    Thanks!

    Annie, Sep 26, 2007
  12. Bee

    chuckcar Guest

    "Annie" <> wrote in

    >>> I have some very (I stress 'very') simplistic games that launch in
    >>> DOS--No need for DOSBOX. But with my new machine (Alienware 9750
    >>> laptop running XP) I get this error message when I try to launch any
    >>> of these games:
    >>>
    >>> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    >>>
    >>> CS: c000 IP:393e e8 b9 fe 2e Choose 'Close' to
    >>> terminate the
    >>> application.
    >>>

    >>> Any help very much appreciated! Thank you!

    >> If you have a floppy drive (or I suppose a boot cd would work too),
    >> you could make a boot disk to boot to an earlier version of dos. I
    >> wouldn't go earlier than 5 though, dos 4 had *real* problems and
    >> before that, there was a lot that wasn't implemented.

    > Oh my, a boot disk...you are awaking memories of my past. But being
    > the present, could you refresh my memory on how to make a boot disk
    > (CD, actually) now, with XP?
    >
    > Thanks!

    XP is not the point. Getting the old version of DOS and making the
    boot disk is:

    http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm

    Then you need a DOS. You can get freedos (for free of course) at:

    http://www.freedos.org/

    Then there's just the mechanics of making your boot disk.

    Notes: 1. You do *not* want to make an XP boot disk, you want to create
    a freedos boot disk. That is the whole point.

    2. I gave references here for making a boot *floppy* a boot CD is
    somewhat different:

    You will have to create your own autoexec.bat, config.sys dos directory
    and directory for the games (if not on your HD) along with a batch file
    to run them if you choose not to run them from freedos. Computer hope
    has documentation for all of that as well.

    You create these files on your HD and then drag them over when you
    create your *closed* session data CD. You can't change a closed CD, you
    can only erase and write it again, which is exactly what is wrong with
    the way CD's and DVD's car handled in PC's. You can change files on a
    floppy no problem, so you probably will want to start with a floppy and
    get it to work before you create the boot CD.

    This may sound involved, but remember you are creating a whole bootable
    disk from scratch here. One final note if it's not mentioned in the
    links above - msdos.sys and io.sys *have* to be hidden read-only and
    system.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 26, 2007
  13. Bee

    Guest

    , Sep 27, 2007
  14. Bee

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>making the
    >>boot disk is:

    > FYI http://bootdisk.com/

    Yeah, I guess that works too, but 1. you don't have all the fun in what
    I mentioned 2. It's not exactly legal as it's using pirated MSDOS. 3.
    You don't know how to set up a game for EMS, XMS, the mouse or the sound
    card, which is *crucial* for dos games.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 27, 2007
  15. Bee

    Annie Guest

    >> chuckcar <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>making the
    >>>boot disk is:

    >> FYI http://bootdisk.com/

    > Yeah, I guess that works too, but 1. you don't have all the fun in what
    > I mentioned 2. It's not exactly legal as it's using pirated MSDOS. 3.
    > You don't know how to set up a game for EMS, XMS, the mouse or the sound
    > card, which is *crucial* for dos games.

    Thank you very much, Chuck and Pennywise! Much appreciated!

    Annie, Sep 29, 2007