    nixjunk Guest

    Surprised to hear no mention in this forum of this Sigma made camera with a
    Kodak 14 megapixel sensor.
    nixjunk, May 22, 2004

  2. nixjunk

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, May 22, 2004

  3. nixjunk

    nixjunk Guest

    >I think because few people with Conon lenses feel any need for a off-brand
    >body.
    >
    >--
    >http://www.chapelhillnoir.com

    Even with a 14 megapixel sensor?
    nixjunk, May 22, 2004
  4. nixjunk

    Skip M Guest

    "nixjunk" <> wrote in message
    > >I think because few people with Conon lenses feel any need for a

    off-brand
    > >body.
    > >
    > >--
    > >http://www.chapelhillnoir.com

    > Even with a 14 megapixel sensor?

    It was mentioned, discussed several weeks ago. Kodak is known for having
    some problems with aliasing, and the addition of a Sigma body with a slow
    frame rate combined with a price in the neighborhood of the 8mp, 8.5 fps
    Canon 1D MkII makes it seem like it may be a tough sell. There are other
    shortcomings, but its full size 35mm sensor may make it attractive. I've
    given it some thought, but I'll wait until prices come down some.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, May 22, 2004
  5. "nixjunk" <> wrote:

    > Surprised to hear no mention in this forum of this Sigma made camera with

    > Kodak 14 megapixel sensor.

    It's the same no microlenses/no AA filter design as the Nikon mount version.
    No thanks.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, May 22, 2004
  6. nixjunk

    nixjunk Guest

    >> Surprised to hear no mention in this forum of this Sigma made camera with
    >> Kodak 14 megapixel sensor.

    >It's the same no microlenses/no AA filter design as the Nikon mount version.
    >No thanks.
    >
    >David J. Littleboy
    >Tokyo, Japan

    The images look about the most impressive of any digital camera I've seen so
    far.
    nixjunk, May 22, 2004
  7. "nixjunk" <> wrote:
    > >> Surprised to hear no mention in this forum of this Sigma made
    > >> camera with a Kodak 14 megapixel sensor.

    > >It's the same no microlenses/no AA filter design as the Nikon mount

    version.
    > >No thanks.

    > The images look about the most impressive of any digital camera I've seen

    so
    > far.

    Yes: as long as there isn't any Moire and as long as the ISO is below 100
    (or is it 160?).

    Those are pretty severe limitations. Especially the Moiré bit. The Kodak
    images are really ugly when there is detail just above the Nyquist
    frequency. The Nikon D70 does the same thing.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, May 22, 2004
  8. nixjunk

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Would you buy a Yugo if it has a 400 horsepower engine? Junk is junk.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, May 22, 2004
  9. It has been mentioned. Doesn't look like it will be a success though.

    First off, it has a very low reliability rating in terms of shutter cycles.
    This means that it will not be suitable for professionals.

    Second, there are fears that it will be as bad as the Kodak DCS-14/n, in
    terms of noise at higher ISOs. This limits it to studio cameras and bright
    sun photos.

    Third, given all of Sigma's problems with the Sigma Canon-mount lenses not
    being compatible with some Canon bodies, there are worries that the reverse
    will now be true--the Sigma/Kodak body may not be ompatible with some Canon
    lenses; this is the first body with a Canon mount that Sigma has produced.
    No professional is going to risk being stuck with only being able to use
    Sigma's Canon-Mount lenses, since the quality is not up to the high level of
    Canon's L series lenses.

    Fourth, with Nikon, Kodak had a chance because Nikon has no full-frame
    digital cameras. With Canon, they will be competing against the mighty
    EOS-1Ds, which every expert unanimously agrees is the best production
    digital camera on the planet. The fact that it is 11 Mpixels versus 14
    Mpixels on the Kodak, is not significant, considering the quality and
    relatively low noise level of the mighty Canon CMOS sensor.

    Fifth, given what's happened with the Sigma SD-9 and SD-10, people are going
    to be really wary of a Sigma digital SLR.

    Kodak is going to fall into the same trap as Sigma. Sigma thought that they
    could market the SD9 and SD10 to amateurs, but got stuck slashing prices and
    going after the consumer market. Kodak may initially believe that they can
    price the DCS-14/c at half the EOS-1Ds price, and win customers, but this
    won't work due to the EOS-MarkIID. For the amateur, choosing between a noisy
    14Mp camera of questionable compatiblity and quality, versus an 8Mp camera
    of solid quality and reliability, is an easy choice to make.
    Steven M. Scharf, May 22, 2004
  10. nixjunk

    nospam Guest

    In article <f6Brc.52679$>, Tony
    Spadaro <> wrote:

    > Would you buy a Yugo if it has a 400 horsepower engine? Junk is junk.

    would 200hp be acceptable?

    <http://community.webshots.com/album/89372683IHsQRq>
    nospam, May 22, 2004
  11. nixjunk

    nixjunk Guest

    >Would you buy a Yugo if it has a 400 horsepower engine? Junk is junk.

    You have a way of making bombastic conclusions and dismissing things rather
    quickly.
    nixjunk, May 22, 2004
  12. nixjunk

    Bowzre Guest

    If is suffers from the same color fringing prolems as the Nikon version,
    it'll stink. The Nikon version is a disaster. Some lenses work, some don't.
    Lenses have to be "optimized" manually in some cases, making lens changes
    slow, cumbersome, and a general pain in the ass. The camera has promise, but
    simply isn't a viable choice for many users. If you can find lenses that
    work, and they suit your needs, and you can live with it's horrible high-ISO
    performance, then it's OK. Otherwise, I'll stick with film.

    Bowzre, May 22, 2004
  13. nixjunk

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Steven's post sums it up pretty well.

    >From: "Steven M. Scharf"

    >It has been mentioned. Doesn't look like it will be a success though.
    >
    >First off, it has a very low reliability rating in terms of shutter cycles.
    >This means that it will not be suitable for professionals.

    Canon 1D M II is rated at 200,000 cycles min, Canon 1Ds at 150,000 while the
    Sigma-Kodak is rated 25-30,000 cycles. Even at a 50% higher cost (based on
    recent B&H prices) the 1Ds is a bargain for a pro since it lasts so much
    longer.

    >Second, there are fears that it will be as bad as the Kodak DCS-14/n, in
    >terms of noise at higher ISOs. This limits it to studio cameras and bright
    >sun photos.

    These "fears" have been proven true in every review of the camera to date.

    Bill Hilton, May 22, 2004
  14. nixjunk

    Skip M Guest

    The images on Kodak's own site were awful, in my opinion, and pretty much
    instrumental in my losing interest in the camera...
    http://download.kodak.com/professio...ampleImages/brideInLibrary/brideInLibrary.jpg
    http://download.kodak.com/professional/products/cameras/proSLRc/sampleImages/model/model.jpg

    Skip M, May 22, 2004
  15. nixjunk

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I've spent many years forming my opinion of Sigma's quality. You have a way
    of proving yourself an ass very quickly though. Farewell schmuck

    Tony Spadaro, May 22, 2004
  16. nixjunk

    bagal Guest

    bagal, May 22, 2004
  17. Re: New Kodak/Sigma 14 megapixel camera with Canon mount

    ixjunk (nixjunk) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Surprised to hear no mention in this forum of this Sigma made camera with a
    > Kodak 14 megapixel sensor.

    The SD10 already has a 13.72MP sensor, the Kodak 14n/c sensor is only 13.5MP.
    Georgette Preddy, May 22, 2004
  18. nixjunk

    Lionel Guest

    Re: New Kodak/Sigma 14 megapixel camera with Canon mount

    Kibo informs me that (Georgette Preddy)
    stated that:

    > (nixjunk) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Surprised to hear no mention in this forum of this Sigma made camera with a
    >> Kodak 14 megapixel sensor.

    >The SD10 already has a [*SLAP!*] 3.4MP sensor.

    Where are those photos of yours, liar?

    Lionel, May 22, 2004
  19. nixjunk

    O.D. Guest

    O.D., May 23, 2004
  20. nixjunk

    Steve Moody Guest

    Re: New Kodak/Sigma 14 megapixel camera with Canon mount

    In article <>, Georgette
    Preddy <> wrote:

    > > Surprised to hear no mention in this forum of this Sigma made camera with a
    > > Kodak 14 megapixel sensor.

    > The SD10 already has a 13.72MP sensor, the Kodak 14n/c sensor is only 13.5MP.

    And the Kodak isn't interpolated to that size.
    Steve Moody, May 23, 2004