New Kernel Patching Prevention Technology for x64 released (Hotfix KB914784)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Simon Meacham, Jun 17, 2006.

  1. I've posted on this in another thread on CD-ROMs but given I have seen a
    couple more posts around BSODs and the like I am posting this general update
    for everyone in case you haven't heard about this yet.

    Update KB914784 introduces a far reaching change Microsoft announced on June
    9th 2006 here http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/kernel/64bitpatching.mspx

    The KB914784 hotfix, which has probably already arrived on your machine if
    you have auto-update enabled, is described in more detail here
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/914784.mspx

    Some people are experiencing problems with CDROM emulator drivers and other
    tools which patch the kernel currently. Workaround is to remove KB914784 for
    now.

    Personally I can see what Microsoft is trying to achieve I just wish they
    had not slipped this out as a hotfix/auto-update but rather in a Service
    Pack which would allow users to plan for the impact.

    Simon.
    Simon Meacham, MCP MBCS
    64 bit blog @ http://lxivdigiti.wordpress.com
    For email: Remove ".nospam" from end of address.
    Simon Meacham, Jun 17, 2006

  2. And I wish that cd-rom emulators weren't trying to patch the kernel - that's
    never a good idea. Yes, this got me, and now my Daemon Tools doesn't work. I
    suspect that the folks who wrote Daemon Tools are working on a solution, but
    in the mean time, I'm working without their product.

    This is a tough one, but I absolutely think it belongs in a security update
    (which is where it was) and that it should be in place. That being said, MS
    could have been more forthright about providing guidance around this ahead
    of time, warning folks it was coming. I've said that to some folks who have
    a good history of listening, and who may be in a position to affect the
    process the next time.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64