new jetstream plans

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Oct 24, 2004.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:15:45 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

    > So what's happened with these new Jetstream plans? I log into the Jetstream
    > usage control panel thingy and it still tells me I'm on the "Xtra JetStream
    > Surf flat rate usage" plan (the unlimited 256K plan), and I'm still running
    > at 256k. I would have expected to now be on the "Xtra JetStream
    > Plus" (unlimited 2mb plan). Do I have to manually request this change
    > online at the Xtra website and then wait until the next billing period for
    > it to take effect? That'll suck if I do as today is the first day for me of
    > the billing period...

    Does not the 2MBs plans from Telecom arroive next year?

    Chris Hope, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Gordon

    Chris Hope Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:15:45 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> So what's happened with these new Jetstream plans? I log into the
    >> Jetstream usage control panel thingy and it still tells me I'm on the
    >> "Xtra JetStream Surf flat rate usage" plan (the unlimited 256K plan), and
    >> I'm still running at 256k. I would have expected to now be on the "Xtra
    >> JetStream Plus" (unlimited 2mb plan). Do I have to manually request this
    >> change online at the Xtra website and then wait until the next billing
    >> period for it to take effect? That'll suck if I do as today is the first
    >> day for me of the billing period...

    > Does not the 2MBs plans from Telecom arroive next year?

    They're here now according to
    http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,5123,203086-202343,00.html

    Chris Hope, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Gordon

    David Butler Guest

    I think they said either November or Decemeber

    David Butler, Oct 24, 2004
  5. Gordon

    traviscn Guest

    when i rang telecom to change my plan (about 2 weeks ago) i was told the new
    speed would take effect from the 26th Oct.

    traviscn, Oct 24, 2004
  6. Gordon

    Hmmm Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:15:45 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:
    >

    >>So what's happened with these new Jetstream plans? I log into the Jetstream
    >>usage control panel thingy and it still tells me I'm on the "Xtra JetStream
    >>Surf flat rate usage" plan (the unlimited 256K plan), and I'm still running
    >>at 256k. I would have expected to now be on the "Xtra JetStream
    >>Plus" (unlimited 2mb plan). Do I have to manually request this change
    >>online at the Xtra website and then wait until the next billing period for
    >>it to take effect? That'll suck if I do as today is the first day for me of
    >>the billing period...

    > Does not the 2MBs plans from Telecom arroive next year?

    The retail (ripoff) ones are supposed to be arriving nowish..

    The wholesale ones should arrive around march next year..

    Of course telecom have been unable to stick to any dates recently so
    don't hold yout breath.

    Hmmm, Oct 24, 2004
  7. Gordon

    EMB Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > So what's happened with these new Jetstream plans? I log into the Jetstream
    > usage control panel thingy and it still tells me I'm on the "Xtra JetStream
    > Surf flat rate usage" plan (the unlimited 256K plan), and I'm still running
    > at 256k. I would have expected to now be on the "Xtra JetStream
    > Plus" (unlimited 2mb plan). Do I have to manually request this change
    > online at the Xtra website and then wait until the next billing period for
    > it to take effect? That'll suck if I do as today is the first day for me of
    > the billing period...

    According to "the letter" they will implement the changes for existing
    customers in November and December.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 24, 2004
  8. Gordon

    ChrisOD Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > So what's happened with these new Jetstream plans? I log into the Jetstream
    > usage control panel thingy and it still tells me I'm on the "Xtra JetStream
    > Surf flat rate usage" plan (the unlimited 256K plan), and I'm still running
    > at 256k. I would have expected to now be on the "Xtra JetStream
    > Plus" (unlimited 2mb plan). Do I have to manually request this change
    > online at the Xtra website and then wait until the next billing period for
    > it to take effect? That'll suck if I do as today is the first day for me of
    > the billing period...

    Yep they are here.
    I got upgraded at about 20 past one this morning.
    My billing cycle starts 25th, and so I made sure with both Telecom and
    Orcon that I would be connected today.

    I was a little concerned that it being a holiday I would have to wait a
    month but my concerns were unfounded.

    At last some speed!

    Chris

    ChrisOD, Oct 25, 2004
  9. Gordon

    -=rjh=- Guest

    ChrisOD wrote:
    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> So what's happened with these new Jetstream plans? I log into the
    >> Jetstream
    >> usage control panel thingy and it still tells me I'm on the "Xtra
    >> JetStream
    >> Surf flat rate usage" plan (the unlimited 256K plan), and I'm still
    >> running
    >> at 256k. I would have expected to now be on the "Xtra JetStream
    >> Plus" (unlimited 2mb plan). Do I have to manually request this change
    >> online at the Xtra website and then wait until the next billing period
    >> for
    >> it to take effect? That'll suck if I do as today is the first day for
    >> me of
    >> the billing period...
    >>

    > Yep they are here.
    > I got upgraded at about 20 past one this morning.
    > My billing cycle starts 25th, and so I made sure with both Telecom and
    > Orcon that I would be connected today.
    >
    > I was a little concerned that it being a holiday I would have to wait a
    > month but my concerns were unfounded.
    >
    > At last some speed!

    Lucky you!

    What were you upgraded from and to?

    -=rjh=-, Oct 25, 2004
  10. Gordon

    ChrisOD Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > ChrisOD wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Hope wrote:
    >>
    >>> So what's happened with these new Jetstream plans? I log into the
    >>> Jetstream
    >>> usage control panel thingy and it still tells me I'm on the "Xtra
    >>> JetStream
    >>> Surf flat rate usage" plan (the unlimited 256K plan), and I'm still
    >>> running
    >>> at 256k. I would have expected to now be on the "Xtra JetStream
    >>> Plus" (unlimited 2mb plan). Do I have to manually request this change
    >>> online at the Xtra website and then wait until the next billing
    >>> period for
    >>> it to take effect? That'll suck if I do as today is the first day for
    >>> me of
    >>> the billing period...
    >>>

    >> Yep they are here.
    >> I got upgraded at about 20 past one this morning.
    >> My billing cycle starts 25th, and so I made sure with both Telecom and
    >> Orcon that I would be connected today.
    >>
    >> I was a little concerned that it being a holiday I would have to wait a
    >> month but my concerns were unfounded.
    >>
    >> At last some speed!

    > Lucky you!
    >
    > What were you upgraded from and to?

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups

    from 128k jetstart to jetstream plus 2Mb/192k throttled after 10Gb to 64k

    ChrisOD, Oct 25, 2004
  11. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Oct 25, 2004
  12. Gordon

    PseUDO Guest

    ChrisOD wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> ChrisOD wrote:

    >>> Yep they are here.
    >>> I got upgraded at about 20 past one this morning.
    >>> My billing cycle starts 25th, and so I made sure with both Telecom and
    >>> Orcon that I would be connected today.
    >>>
    >>> I was a little concerned that it being a holiday I would have to wait a
    >>> month but my concerns were unfounded.
    >>>
    >>> At last some speed!

    >> Lucky you!
    >>
    >> What were you upgraded from and to?

    >> News==----
    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >> >100,000 Newsgroups

    >> ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    > from 128k jetstart to jetstream plus 2Mb/192k throttled after 10Gb to 64k

    So whats your average download speed for .exe .zip files etc from both
    NZ and overseas??

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Oct 25, 2004
  13. Gordon

    ChrisOD Guest

    PseUDO wrote:
    > ChrisOD wrote:
    >
    >> -=rjh=- wrote:

    >>> Lucky you!
    >>>
    >>> What were you upgraded from and to?

    >>> News==----
    >>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >>> ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    >> from 128k jetstart to jetstream plus 2Mb/192k throttled after 10Gb to 64k
    >>

    > So whats your average download speed for .exe .zip files etc from both
    > NZ and overseas??
    >
    > PseUDO

    getting 368kB (firefox gave me 12-15k on my 128k Jetstart) on a 128Mbyte
    file from Jetstreamgames (no realm)
    getting 711KB from debian.co.nz on a 82Mb file
    404kB from optusnet.dl.sourceforge.net 4.4Mbfile
    192kB from mesh.dl.sourceforge.net 4.4Mb file

    Not exhaustive by any means but it seems the for now I am getting what I
    pay for. or more in some cases!

    ChrisOD, Oct 25, 2004
  14. Gordon

    Hmmm Guest

    PseUDO wrote:
    > ChrisOD wrote:
    >
    >> -=rjh=- wrote:

    >>> Lucky you!
    >>>
    >>> What were you upgraded from and to?

    >>> News==----
    >>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >>> ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    >> from 128k jetstart to jetstream plus 2Mb/192k throttled after 10Gb to 64k
    >>

    > So whats your average download speed for .exe .zip files etc from both
    > NZ and overseas??
    >
    > PseUDO

    On dsl there is no compresion I believe, so there would be no speed
    different between a compressed file and a text file.

    Hmmm, Oct 25, 2004
  15. Gordon

    PseUDO Guest

    SNIP
    >> So whats your average download speed for .exe .zip files etc from both
    >> NZ and overseas??
    >>
    >> PseUDO

    > getting 368kB (firefox gave me 12-15k on my 128k Jetstart) on a 128Mbyte
    > file from Jetstreamgames (no realm)
    > getting 711KB from debian.co.nz on a 82Mb file
    > 404kB from optusnet.dl.sourceforge.net 4.4Mbfile
    > 192kB from mesh.dl.sourceforge.net 4.4Mb file
    >

    > Not exhaustive by any means but it seems the for now I am getting what I
    > pay for. or more in some cases!

    Excellent, big step up from what you had before, and thats the main thing!.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Oct 25, 2004
  16. Gordon

    samg Guest

    PseUDO <> wrote in news:wGcfd.23008$mZ2.842255
    @news02.tsnz.net:

    > SNIP
    >>> So whats your average download speed for .exe .zip files etc from both
    >>> NZ and overseas??
    >>>
    >>> PseUDO

    >> getting 368kB (firefox gave me 12-15k on my 128k Jetstart) on a 128Mbyte
    >> file from Jetstreamgames (no realm)
    >> getting 711KB from debian.co.nz on a 82Mb file
    >> 404kB from optusnet.dl.sourceforge.net 4.4Mbfile
    >> 192kB from mesh.dl.sourceforge.net 4.4Mb file
    >>

    >> Not exhaustive by any means but it seems the for now I am getting what I
    >> pay for. or more in some cases!
    >>

    > Excellent, big step up from what you had before, and thats the main thing!.
    >
    > PseUDO

    sooo easy to blow past 10 gig tho

    samg, Oct 26, 2004
  17. Gordon

    Chris Hope Guest

    samg wrote:

    > PseUDO <> wrote in news:wGcfd.23008$mZ2.842255
    > @news02.tsnz.net:
    >
    >> SNIP

    >>> getting 368kB (firefox gave me 12-15k on my 128k Jetstart) on a 128Mbyte
    >>> file from Jetstreamgames (no realm)
    >>> getting 711KB from debian.co.nz on a 82Mb file
    >>> 404kB from optusnet.dl.sourceforge.net 4.4Mbfile
    >>> 192kB from mesh.dl.sourceforge.net 4.4Mb file
    >>>

    >>> Not exhaustive by any means but it seems the for now I am getting what I
    >>> pay for. or more in some cases!
    >>>

    >> Excellent, big step up from what you had before, and thats the main
    >> thing!.
    >>
    >> PseUDO

    > sooo easy to blow past 10 gig tho

    Yeah, and the drop to 64k is nasty. Only slightly better than dialup. I'm
    assuming that they will actually have the bandwidth limiting system in
    place now otherwise some people will be pulling down shitloads of data in a
    month.

    Chris Hope, Oct 26, 2004
  18. Gordon

    root Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:46:02 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

    > samg wrote:
    >
    >: ... snip snip
    >> sooo easy to blow past 10 gig tho

    > Yeah, and the drop to 64k is nasty. Only slightly better than dialup.
    > I'm assuming that they will actually have the bandwidth limiting system
    > in place now otherwise some people will be pulling down shitloads of
    > data in a month.

    Yep 64k sucks.

    I got 2M on Sunday and it was throttled on Monday to 64k.

    Admittedly over my month I've done 40Gbytes (I'm hooked on Ozzie Idol,
    Survivor Vanuatu. Neither of which I can get in NZ - if you are an Ozzie
    Idol fan you wouldn't believe how much tvnz cuts out of the shows we get -
    and we don't get inside idol or the special unjudged performance the final
    5 did.) - then there's the linux distros, gamespot demos and videos,
    streaming video from the CBS site about Survivor (which is the point of
    watching it when it's on in the U.S.) and so on.

    I think I'll be forced to pay the Telecom tax (the so called Churn fee)
    and switch to Orcon unthrottled 256k plan. I enjoyed the 2Mbps while I had
    it but it's not worth the 64k drop. I'd rather get 256k all the time.

    And it'll be cheaper.

    ---
    Bill Ryder

    root, Oct 26, 2004
  19. Gordon

    Chris Hope Guest

    root wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:46:02 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> samg wrote:
    >>
    >>: ... snip snip
    >>> sooo easy to blow past 10 gig tho

    >> Yeah, and the drop to 64k is nasty. Only slightly better than dialup.
    >> I'm assuming that they will actually have the bandwidth limiting system
    >> in place now otherwise some people will be pulling down shitloads of
    >> data in a month.

    > Yep 64k sucks.
    >
    > I got 2M on Sunday and it was throttled on Monday to 64k.
    >
    > Admittedly over my month I've done 40Gbytes (I'm hooked on Ozzie Idol,
    > Survivor Vanuatu. Neither of which I can get in NZ - if you are an Ozzie
    > Idol fan you wouldn't believe how much tvnz cuts out of the shows we get -
    > and we don't get inside idol or the special unjudged performance the final
    > 5 did.) - then there's the linux distros, gamespot demos and videos,
    > streaming video from the CBS site about Survivor (which is the point of
    > watching it when it's on in the U.S.) and so on.
    >
    > I think I'll be forced to pay the Telecom tax (the so called Churn fee)
    > and switch to Orcon unthrottled 256k plan. I enjoyed the 2Mbps while I had
    > it but it's not worth the 64k drop. I'd rather get 256k all the time.
    >
    > And it'll be cheaper.

    That's what I'd been thinking myself. Might investigate it further.

    Chris Hope, Oct 26, 2004
  20. Chris Hope wrote:
    >>Admittedly over my month I've done 40Gbytes (I'm hooked on Ozzie Idol,
    >>Survivor Vanuatu. Neither of which I can get in NZ

    Survivor Vanuatu will be on 3 shortly, saw it advertised last night.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 26, 2004