    for a JS account before 3rd October. This makes me think that some new
    accounts are going to be introduced after the 3rd?

    Does anyone know anything about this?

    Dorado, Sep 4, 2004

  2. Telecom's just offering a better wholesale price of the jetstream service to
    other ISP's so the prices may be a bit lower, in saying that Telecom already
    offer $10 off if your make your tolls with Telecom so I'd guess the good
    deals with the other ISP's like ihug and orcon mean you need to switch your
    tolls to them for the offer.

    I thought about Orcon myself but laughed 3 weeks later when they could no
    longer offer the plan that they originally said they could (this was only a
    month ago) and on their website & in newsgroups. I think it's just as safe
    to sit tight and wait, as with more wholesale jetstream to other ISP's will
    mean they will drive the price down anyway in a bid to keep customers
    elsewhere. Jetstream (Telecom NZ's ADSL) is basically the most expensive
    ADSL service in the world, so times will change with this excuse my language
    (piss ant) attempt at wholesaling service levels set by Telecom to start
    with (they're not flexable like setting their own rates ie: 256up etc...)

    Don't be sucked in to 'order now before in a contract or you'll miss out'...
    that's just psyhcolocial marketting jargon. If they want customers they'll
    make it better come Novermber, and who ever you are already with will only
    get cheaper in a bid to keep your pigna's, that's how the maket flows. I
    don't like Telecom, but they are the monopoly, when someone else offers
    something better Telecom undermine them with cheaper rates because they own
    basically everything else they connect through and the services they resell
    on their behalf.

    Cheers,
    Gavin.

    "Dorado" <> wrote in message
    > I see some ISPs (Ihug, Orcon) etc.. advertising special deals if you sign

    up

    Gavin Stephens, Sep 5, 2004

  3. "Gavin Stephens" <_no.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Telecom's just offering a better wholesale price of the jetstream service

    > other ISP's so the prices may be a bit lower, in saying that Telecom

    already
    > offer $10 off if your make your tolls with Telecom so I'd guess the good
    > deals with the other ISP's like ihug and orcon mean you need to switch

    your
    > tolls to them for the offer.
    >
    > I thought about Orcon myself but laughed 3 weeks later when they could no
    > longer offer the plan that they originally said they could (this was only

    > month ago) and on their website & in newsgroups. I think it's just as safe
    > to sit tight and wait, as with more wholesale jetstream to other ISP's

    will
    > mean they will drive the price down anyway in a bid to keep customers
    > elsewhere. Jetstream (Telecom NZ's ADSL) is basically the most expensive
    > ADSL service in the world, so times will change with this excuse my

    language
    > (piss ant) attempt at wholesaling service levels set by Telecom to start
    > with (they're not flexable like setting their own rates ie: 256up etc...)
    >
    > Don't be sucked in to 'order now before in a contract or you'll miss

    out'...
    > that's just psyhcolocial marketting jargon. If they want customers they'll
    > make it better come Novermber, and who ever you are already with will only
    > get cheaper in a bid to keep your pigna's, that's how the maket flows. I
    > don't like Telecom, but they are the monopoly, when someone else offers
    > something better Telecom undermine them with cheaper rates because they

    own
    > basically everything else they connect through and the services they

    resell
    > on their behalf.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Gavin.

    BTW... My local downer engineer told me the move to 256Kbps was mainly out
    of the need to service Microsoft X-Box Internet connectivity as they require
    a 256Kbps connection to offer all of it's services at a quality level. That
    makes huge sense since it's xtraMSN. I'm sure they did think about the other
    marketting stuff like it's time to offer New Zealand some more broadband
    connection plans at speeds still slower than International broadband
    (384Kbps) specifications.

    Gavin Stephens, Sep 5, 2004
  4. Dorado

    Allistar Guest

    Gavin Stephens wrote:

    [snip]

    > BTW... My local downer engineer told me the move to 256Kbps was mainly out
    > of the need to service Microsoft X-Box Internet connectivity as they
    > require a 256Kbps connection to offer all of it's services at a quality
    > level. That makes huge sense since it's xtraMSN. I'm sure they did think
    > about the other marketting stuff like it's time to offer New Zealand some
    > more broadband connection plans at speeds still slower than International
    > broadband (384Kbps) specifications.

    They'll be pleased to know that I use the new 256kb/s connection to download
    Linux isos and "emerge -U world" to update my box at a reasonable rate.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Sep 5, 2004
  5. I noticed on jetstream games there's a linux version of some sort that you
    can download completely free without clocking up megabytes. The reason I
    went with dsl was to download a copy of the latest service packs for 2K and
    XP to install on a few freinds PC's. Telecom reied to upsell me majorly as I
    would blow my 1GB plan out of the water with those 200+MB updates... Funny
    that, I got them both free of jetstreamgames which I hear is close to being
    knocked on the head according to a few ppl.

    Gavin Stephens, Sep 5, 2004
  6. "Gavin Stephens" <_no.co.nz> wrote in message
    > I noticed on jetstream games there's a linux version of some sort that you
    > can download completely free without clocking up megabytes. The reason I
    > went with dsl was to download a copy of the latest service packs for 2K

    and
    > XP to install on a few freinds PC's. Telecom reied

    tried

    >to upsell me majorly as I
    > would blow my 1GB plan out of the water with those 200+MB updates...

    Funny
    > that, I got them both free of

    mmm back to sleep, spelling's not working today.

    Gavin Stephens, Sep 5, 2004
  7. Dorado

    Dorado Guest

    > Telecom's just offering a better wholesale price of the jetstream service

    > other ISP's so the prices may be a bit lower, in saying that Telecom

    already
    > offer $10 off if your make your tolls with Telecom so I'd guess the good
    > deals with the other ISP's like ihug and orcon mean you need to switch

    your
    > tolls to them for the offer.
    >
    > I thought about Orcon myself but laughed 3 weeks later when they could no
    > longer offer the plan that they originally said they could (this was only

    > month ago) and on their website & in newsgroups. I think it's just as safe
    > to sit tight and wait, as with more wholesale jetstream to other ISP's

    will
    > mean they will drive the price down anyway in a bid to keep customers
    > elsewhere. Jetstream (Telecom NZ's ADSL) is basically the most expensive
    > ADSL service in the world, so times will change with this excuse my

    language
    > (piss ant) attempt at wholesaling service levels set by Telecom to start
    > with (they're not flexable like setting their own rates ie: 256up etc...)
    >
    > Don't be sucked in to 'order now before in a contract or you'll miss

    out'...
    > that's just psyhcolocial marketting jargon. If they want customers they'll
    > make it better come Novermber, and who ever you are already with will only
    > get cheaper in a bid to keep your pigna's, that's how the maket flows. I
    > don't like Telecom, but they are the monopoly, when someone else offers
    > something better Telecom undermine them with cheaper rates because they

    own
    > basically everything else they connect through and the services they

    resell
    > on their behalf.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Gavin.
    >
    > "Dorado" <> wrote in message
    > > I see some ISPs (Ihug, Orcon) etc.. advertising special deals if you

    sign
    > up
    > > for a JS account before 3rd October. This makes me think that some new
    > > accounts are going to be introduced after the 3rd?
    > >
    > > Does anyone know anything about this?

    I'm in no hurry to change ISP's or plans at the moment. I did however hear
    that they were planning on offering a 512Kbps plan sometime soon. Is this
    just a rumor?

    Dorado, Sep 5, 2004
  8. "Dorado" <> wrote in message

    > I'm in no hurry to change ISP's or plans at the moment. I did however hear
    > that they were planning on offering a 512Kbps plan sometime soon. Is this
    > just a rumor?

    Same here. 512 is something Telecom were beleived to be thinking of come
    March or later next year as an entry level business plan rather than the
    high-speed only adsl plan.

    Gavin Stephens, Sep 5, 2004
  9. Dorado

    Guest

    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:11:38 +1200, "Dorado" <>
    wrote:

    >I see some ISPs (Ihug, Orcon) etc.. advertising special deals if you sign up
    >for a JS account before 3rd October. This makes me think that some new
    >accounts are going to be introduced after the 3rd?
    >
    >Does anyone know anything about this?

    Paradise and Clearnet are meant to have new offerings but no sign of
    them on their sites yet.
    http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/DAE6762B2BC5E8C9CC256EF50039585B

    Bruce.

    , Sep 5, 2004
  10. worldnet are offering 256k/5G for $39
    Loooks a better offering than telecoms 1G

    Steve Robertson, Sep 5, 2004
  11. Dorado

    EMB Guest

    Dorado wrote:

    > I see some ISPs (Ihug, Orcon) etc.. advertising special deals if you sign up
    > for a JS account before 3rd October. This makes me think that some new
    > accounts are going to be introduced after the 3rd?
    >
    > Does anyone know anything about this?

    That's when the churn fee comes into effect - they want all the
    customers they can get before then.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Sep 5, 2004
  12. Gavin Stephens wrote:
    > I'm sure they did think about the other
    > marketting stuff like it's time to offer New Zealand some more broadband
    > connection plans at speeds still slower than International broadband
    > (384Kbps) specifications.

    Where'd you find this specification?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 5, 2004
  13. Gavin Stephens wrote:
    > I noticed on jetstream games there's a linux version of some sort that you
    > can download completely free without clocking up megabytes. The reason I
    > went with dsl was to download a copy of the latest service packs for 2K and
    > XP to install on a few freinds PC's. Telecom reied to upsell me majorly as I
    > would blow my 1GB plan out of the water with those 200+MB updates... Funny
    > that, I got them both free of jetstreamgames which I hear is close to being
    > knocked on the head according to a few ppl.

    not just a few people, it will no longer be possible with the bitstream
    access going into exchanges.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 5, 2004
  14. Dorado wrote:
    > I'm in no hurry to change ISP's or plans at the moment. I did however hear
    > that they were planning on offering a 512Kbps plan sometime soon. Is this
    > just a rumor?

    nope, march05, and supposedly, 1Mbit in May05

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 5, 2004
  15. Still looking, I did find a report somewhere on the OECD website regarding
    bandwidth less than 384kbps. Not finding it on a search there now but I'll
    keep looking. I find it amsuing that while Telecom acknowledge 128kbps not
    broadband, they count the 100,000 odd jetstart customers as part of their
    broadband up take to 250,000 by the end of the year. Can they be more
    obviousley stupid in their statements. This I also found below was an
    interesting read when Telecom seem to claim they are up with the rest of the
    world, bullocks once you take caps and excess charges in to account:

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3566966&thesection=techno
    logy&thesubsection=comment&thesecondsubsection=

    Gavin Stephens, Sep 6, 2004
  16. Gavin Stephens wrote:

    > Still looking, I did find a report somewhere on the OECD website regarding
    > bandwidth less than 384kbps. Not finding it on a search there now but I'll
    > keep looking. I find it amsuing that while Telecom acknowledge 128kbps not
    > broadband, they count the 100,000 odd jetstart customers as part of their
    > broadband up take to 250,000 by the end of the year. Can they be more
    > obviousley stupid in their statements.

    they are using broadband technology, it's just artificially speed
    limited. I guess it is kinda like the reverse of bill and monica... "he
    didn't have sex with her" and "they are using broadband technology".

    it's all about how its measured, and how the questions are asked.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 6, 2004